Phone acting weird - hacked?

Posted 1st Oct
There's some strange activity going on on my brother's phone and I just wanted some advice for him.

An xbox console was bought using his ebay and PayPal. He didn't buy it. It is in his recent purchases and is showing on his PayPal. I've told him to contact ebay.

There's been a search for 'video game controllers' on his ebay app but he hasn't searched for that. Besides that, when he unlocks his phone there are apps in his recently opened apps that he hasn't opened.

He is the sole user of his phone and is quite clued up on web safety and things.

I told him to change all his passwords and to factory reset the phone. But is that enough?

Don't really know who to ask about things like this...
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Sounds like someone’s got hold of his passwords. Factory reset to make sure no spyware in the phone and change all passwords. Also if he’s using a computer run antivirus and malware too
discozohan01/10/2019 14:44

Sounds like someone’s got hold of his passwords. Factory reset to make s …Sounds like someone’s got hold of his passwords. Factory reset to make sure no spyware in the phone and change all passwords. Also if he’s using a computer run antivirus and malware too

Thank you much appreciated.
notalwaysright1901/10/2019 14:46

Thank you much appreciated.

Welcome. Also advisable to set up 2 factor authentication so he gets a text if any changes are made. Only certain apps do this
discozohan01/10/2019 14:44

Sounds like someone’s got hold of his passwords. Factory reset to make s …Sounds like someone’s got hold of his passwords. Factory reset to make sure no spyware in the phone and change all passwords. Also if he’s using a computer run antivirus and malware too

discozohan01/10/2019 14:49

Welcome. Also advisable to set up 2 factor authentication so he gets a …Welcome. Also advisable to set up 2 factor authentication so he gets a text if any changes are made. Only certain apps do this

...and enjoy your new Xbox
Don’t forget to change his google/iOS passwords too and add 2FA. Factory reset the phone.
cmdr_elito01/10/2019 18:07

Don’t forget to change his google/iOS passwords too and add 2FA. Factory r …Don’t forget to change his google/iOS passwords too and add 2FA. Factory reset the phone.

I’ll go out on a limb, his iOS account is fine. He should however update his Google details
cmdr_elito01/10/2019 18:07

Don’t forget to change his google/iOS passwords too and add 2FA. Factory r …Don’t forget to change his google/iOS passwords too and add 2FA. Factory reset the phone.

Personally, I would advise actually abandoning his Google account and factory resetting his phone and starting from scratch creating a new Google account. Then change all the email passwords, plus banking etc so there are no connections to the old accounts. It's going to be difficult but if there is any link or old data passed to the new accounts it may be possible for a scammer to request a new password. Only needs one new password and he's in and helping himself.

Passwords is another thing to be careful about. Don't use anything that connects with yourself that could reasonably be guessed. . In any way. This means of you are A Man U supporter, avoid Beckham, Poshspice (who wouldn't? ), Matt Busby, Old Trafford, etc etc. My passwords tend to be car registration numbers (not recent or current), ex girlfriend's phone numbers (50 years ago, good luck guessing that) names of people I've boxed against etc. Things I can remember but no way anyone can guess them.
Call up eBay and PayPal
Ringfinger01/10/2019 19:08

Personally, I would advise actually abandoning his Google account and …Personally, I would advise actually abandoning his Google account and factory resetting his phone and starting from scratch creating a new Google account. Then change all the email passwords, plus banking etc so there are no connections to the old accounts. It's going to be difficult but if there is any link or old data passed to the new accounts it may be possible for a scammer to request a new password. Only needs one new password and he's in and helping himself.Passwords is another thing to be careful about. Don't use anything that connects with yourself that could reasonably be guessed. . In any way. This means of you are A Man U supporter, avoid Beckham, Poshspice (who wouldn't? ), Matt Busby, Old Trafford, etc etc. My passwords tend to be car registration numbers (not recent or current), ex girlfriend's phone numbers (50 years ago, good luck guessing that) names of people I've boxed against etc. Things I can remember but no way anyone can guess them.

Thank you. I've copied and pasted this to him.

(I'm not linking him to this thread otherwise he's going to be stalking me )
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants