Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Phone blacklisted

Posted 20th May 2019
Hi all

I purchased a brand new iPhone 8 plus in September 2018 from a company on ebay. It had 1 yr apple warranty and i was told it was a replacement phone. £600 but ebay had a offer so i paid £550. All was good until Tuesday where i noticed signal issues. Now ive spoke to ee and they have told me my phone is blacklisted because the original owner was supposed to return the phone and thats all they could say due to dpa. Now today my phone has been properly blacklisted no signal at all.

I know there are unbarring services for around £50 anyone had any experience with this? Is there anything else? I am going abroad soon to turkey maybe i could visit an apple store or something? Also i am locked to EE.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
54 Comments
First I've heard of unbarring services, as far as I know once you've been blacklisted that's it (in the country of the provider anyway)

Dangers of buying off eBay unfortunately, too many people get done like that.
Edited by: "Byno" 20th May 2019
I'm sure it will work abroad just not uk
Edited by: "jb66" 20th May 2019
You're probably getting mixed up with unlocking or even icloud unlocking. The only way to unbar a networked barred phone is either change the imei or have the networks unbar it etc.
Have you been in touch with the seller? It sounds like the phone wasn't his to sell.
jaketheplumber20/05/2019 19:12

Have you been in touch with the seller? It sounds like the phone wasn't …Have you been in touch with the seller? It sounds like the phone wasn't his to sell.

This
There is a place online somewhere that does unblock it but it has to be on the EE network which obviously isn’t a problem. I had a similar problem a few years back and it was unblocked. It’s still fine now! There could be issues if you ever need to visit an Apple store with it though.
"...in September 2018 from a company on ebay..." so it's the company's obligation to resolve an legitimate issue demonstated by the purchaser, assuming the company is still trading.
Byno20/05/2019 18:49

First I've heard of unbarring services, as far as I know once you've been …First I've heard of unbarring services, as far as I know once you've been blacklisted that's it (in the country of the provider anyway)Dangers of buying off eBay unfortunately, too many people get done like that.

Yeah but after like 8 months. I’ve seen it happen after a week or month. Also it was a limited company that is still trading.
Edited by: "Sprinter515" 20th May 2019
jb6620/05/2019 19:05

I'm sure it will work abroad just not uk

I don’t think in its current state as it is locked to EE
AndyRoyd20/05/2019 19:44

"...in September 2018 from a company on ebay..." so it's the company's …"...in September 2018 from a company on ebay..." so it's the company's obligation to resolve an legitimate issue demonstated by the purchaser, assuming the company is still trading.

I’ve emailed the company on Saturday waited over weekend no response until now. I also sent a message on eBay. I’ve called and spoke to eBay who have said as its been over 180 days paypal cant help and it’s over its 30 days for ebay so they cannot assist me. The company has loads of apple products still for sale today on eBay.
XSerenityX20/05/2019 19:41

There is a place online somewhere that does unblock it but it has to be on …There is a place online somewhere that does unblock it but it has to be on the EE network which obviously isn’t a problem. I had a similar problem a few years back and it was unblocked. It’s still fine now! There could be issues if you ever need to visit an Apple store with it though.

Yes there’s loads on ebay for different networks around the £50 mark. AFAIK apple do not check i did a google search earlier and IMEI blacklisting is not something they really check even if it is they will not intervene.
Sprinter51520/05/2019 19:56

I’ve called and spoke to eBay who have said as its been over 180 days p …I’ve called and spoke to eBay who have said as its been over 180 days paypal cant help

This this is exactly the flaw with this middle men. They get all of the fees but none of the liabilities that a proper credit card has. Its downright wrong with the extortionate fees they charge!

I’ve emailed the company on Saturday waited over weekend no response until …I’ve emailed the company on Saturday waited over weekend no response until now. I also sent a message on eBay. I’ve called and spoke to eBay who have said as its been over 180 days paypal cant help and it’s over its 30 days for ebay so they cannot assist me. The company has loads of apple products still for sale today on eBay.

That’s the trouble with faceless trade sellers on eBay that offer a warranty, getting them to honour it. If they have proper contact details available I’d be looking at the Small Claims Court.
Update: Seller has replied but is saying to pay £70 to remove it. Obviously i have said I shouldn’t be the one paying this. Doubt he will reply
AndyRoyd20/05/2019 19:44

"...in September 2018 from a company on ebay..." so it's the company's …"...in September 2018 from a company on ebay..." so it's the company's obligation to resolve an legitimate issue demonstated by the purchaser, assuming the company is still trading.

I’ve emailed the company on Saturday waited over weekend no response until …I’ve emailed the company on Saturday waited over weekend no response until now. I also sent a message on eBay. I’ve called and spoke to eBay who have said as its been over 180 days paypal cant help and it’s over its 30 days for ebay so they cannot assist me. The company has loads of apple products still for sale today on eBay.

Sprinter51520/05/2019 20:14

Update: Seller has replied but is saying to pay £70 to remove it. …Update: Seller has replied but is saying to pay £70 to remove it. Obviously i have said I shouldn’t be the one paying this. Doubt he will reply

Assuming UK-based merchant it is still the merchant's responsibility to resolve under consumer legislation; you don't need ebay or Paypal assistance (which has expired anyway). However if the merchant declines to "repair" and instead provides a return & refund option the merchant may legitimately make a deduction from the refund for the period of time you enjoyed full use of the phone.
paulj4820/05/2019 20:04

That’s the trouble with faceless trade sellers on eBay that offer a w …That’s the trouble with faceless trade sellers on eBay that offer a warranty, getting them to honour it. If they have proper contact details available I’d be looking at the Small Claims Court.

The 1yr warranty is apple warranty still active until September. Apple wouldn’t touch this though.
markmc99920/05/2019 20:01

This this is exactly the flaw with this middle men. They get all of the …This this is exactly the flaw with this middle men. They get all of the fees but none of the liabilities that a proper credit card has. Its downright wrong with the extortionate fees they charge!

Exactly! From this I have learnt to always pay by credit card
AndyRoyd20/05/2019 20:28

Assuming UK-based merchant it is still the merchant's responsibility to …Assuming UK-based merchant it is still the merchant's responsibility to resolve under consumer legislation; you don't need ebay or Paypal assistance (which has expired anyway). However if the merchant declines to "repair" and instead provides a return & refund option the merchant may legitimately make a deduction from the refund for the period of time you enjoyed full use of the phone.

That only applies to brand new purchases though. The Op says although the phone was ‘new’ it was a replacement phone so the Op wasn’t the initial owner. A bit like Amazon warehouse deals where an item can be ‘like new’ but isn’t covered by the 6 year consumer law.
AndyRoyd20/05/2019 20:28

Assuming UK-based merchant it is still the merchant's responsibility to …Assuming UK-based merchant it is still the merchant's responsibility to resolve under consumer legislation; you don't need ebay or Paypal assistance (which has expired anyway). However if the merchant declines to "repair" and instead provides a return & refund option the merchant may legitimately make a deduction from the refund for the period of time you enjoyed full use of the phone.

Update seller says £55 to clean IMEI. He has said if i pay £40 he will clear the rest. Takes 1-2 weeks. However i have not accepted this. I can say under consumer legislation this and that but he’ll probably just stop replying. It appears to be a physical store in Peterborough and has a lot of macs and iPhones still on eBay for sale.
Wonder if he is taking a imei off a duff phone and swapping over? I heard this can be done on android but iPhone? Hum.. Or swap the main board from a smashed phone so you get a new imei number maybe?
Edited by: "wayners" 20th May 2019
Sprinter51520/05/2019 20:46

Update seller says £55 to clean IMEI. He has said if i pay £40 he will c …Update seller says £55 to clean IMEI. He has said if i pay £40 he will clear the rest. Takes 1-2 weeks. However i have not accepted this. I can say under consumer legislation this and that but he’ll probably just stop replying. It appears to be a physical store in Peterborough and has a lot of macs and iPhones still on eBay for sale.

Is you PayPal funded from debit/ credit card? Try calling the bank or credit card.
Name and shame the store if they are n`t willing to helo.
wayners20/05/2019 21:01

Wonder if he is taking a imei off a duff phone and swapping over? I heard …Wonder if he is taking a imei off a duff phone and swapping over? I heard this can be done on android but iPhone? Hum.. Or swap the main board from a smashed phone so you get a new imei number maybe?

From what I’ve heard theres inside guys or people who have access and clean your imei. Its done remotely

Update seller says £55 to clean IMEI. He has said if i pay £40 he will c …Update seller says £55 to clean IMEI. He has said if i pay £40 he will clear the rest. Takes 1-2 weeks. However i have not accepted this. I can say under consumer legislation this and that but he’ll probably just stop replying. It appears to be a physical store in Peterborough and has a lot of macs and iPhones still on eBay for sale.

You can't clean an imei. He can maybe provide a new imei for the device but that is illegal with some pretty steep penalties.

It's a straight network bar you have to be able to remove the imei from the network. which only uk network providers can do.
deleted1471098
It’s a common scam, sell the phone, report it as stolen, claim off insurance = quids in. Buyer gets phone barred and very little come back
deleted1471098

Report to trading standards he is selling stolen goods. Then try to claim via PayPal/credit card
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 20th May 2019

If the item is classed by EE as stolen the buyer can demand a full and non-deductable refund from the merchant. If merchant doesn't play ball it's a simple LBA then if necessary a moneyclaimonline for full refund, assuming merchant is still trading and has sufficient assets.
So is EE stating your handset is stolen (in which case who will be expecting return of the blaclisted handset), or has the blacklist been effected because the original handset was stolen?
I remember having a proper heated debate over this topic with a member on here. Cant remember who it was with now.

You’ve just proved that i was right all along that networks can blacklist a phone where monies/phone is owned to them.

They were adamant that the network could not blacklist a phone.

it doesnt matter what network sim card was in the phone at the time of it being barred if theres a debt on the account it can be blacklisted.

There is a way around it by either selling the phone abroad or as spares/repair.
Deleted_20/05/2019 22:05

I remember having a proper heated debate over this topic with a member on …I remember having a proper heated debate over this topic with a member on here. Cant remember who it was with now. You’ve just proved that i was right all along that networks can blacklist a phone where monies/phone is owned to them. They were adamant that the network could not blacklist a phone. it doesnt matter what network sim card was in the phone at the time of it being barred if theres a debt on the account it can be blacklisted. There is a way around it by either selling the phone abroad or as spares/repair.

I work in telecoms we can blacklist a phone and it will basically be a tablet in the UK unless you get around it which isnt easy or cheap
AndyRoyd20/05/2019 21:29

If the item is classed by EE as stolen the buyer can demand a full and …If the item is classed by EE as stolen the buyer can demand a full and non-deductable refund from the merchant. If merchant doesn't play ball it's a simple LBA then if necessary a moneyclaimonline for full refund, assuming merchant is still trading and has sufficient assets.So is EE stating your handset is stolen (in which case who will be expecting return of the blaclisted handset), or has the blacklist been effected because the original handset was stolen?

EE have only said to me that the device needed to be returned which sounds odd since its been 8 months and it is 8 months old. Whats an LBA?
deleted147109820/05/2019 21:10

Report to trading standards he is selling stolen goods. Then try to claim …Report to trading standards he is selling stolen goods. Then try to claim via PayPal/credit card

Paypal wont help been over 180 and was paid by debit card
Sprinter51520/05/2019 22:12

EE have only said to me that the device needed to be returned which sounds …EE have only said to me that the device needed to be returned which sounds odd since its been 8 months and it is 8 months old. Whats an LBA?

"...needed to be returned..?" Is that past tense, and/or present tense?
Is EE asking you to return it? If so, ask why.
LBA = Letter Before Action; the precursor to legal activity.
i was in the same boat last year. had 3 months apple warranty remaining. booked a genius appointment explained the device kept losing signal and now cant get a signal at all. 5 mins later "sorry sir it looks like the device has developed a fault. we will replace it with a refurbished one"
redmouse220/05/2019 22:24

i was in the same boat last year. had 3 months apple warranty remaining. …i was in the same boat last year. had 3 months apple warranty remaining. booked a genius appointment explained the device kept losing signal and now cant get a signal at all. 5 mins later "sorry sir it looks like the device has developed a fault. we will replace it with a refurbished one"

I actually spoke to apple didnt mention anything they said to pop into a store. I am going to istanbul soon so i might give a shot there. Did they try your sim card or anything or was it just as simple as “its not working it dropped signal now just stopped altogether” and they said heres another one?
AndyRoyd20/05/2019 22:19

"...needed to be returned..?" Is that past tense, and/or present tense?Is …"...needed to be returned..?" Is that past tense, and/or present tense?Is EE asking you to return it? If so, ask why.LBA = Letter Before Action; the precursor to legal activity.

EE have not asked me to return it all they said was the device is under the original owner and was meant to be sent back to EE. But 8 months later seems very weird.
Sprinter51520/05/2019 22:35

EE have not asked me to return it all they said was the device is under …EE have not asked me to return it all they said was the device is under the original owner and was meant to be sent back to EE. But 8 months later seems very weird.

Which suggests not classed as stolen.
Eight months may be how long it takes EE to lose tolerance with a pay monthly customer who has fallen behind on monthly payments.
AndyRoyd20/05/2019 22:39

Which suggests not classed as stolen. Eight months may be how long it …Which suggests not classed as stolen. Eight months may be how long it takes EE to lose tolerance with a pay monthly customer who has fallen behind on monthly payments.

Yes seems like reasonable explanation probably followed collections process
Did you pay using funds in your PayPal or a card linked to your PayPal account?
deleted1471098
Sprinter51520/05/2019 22:13

Paypal wont help been over 180 and was paid by debit card

I guess your knackered then.
Thank you all for your replies. I do really appreciate all your help and suggestions. I’m waiting again on the seller to see what he suggests. If anyone else here has any experience of IMEI/Cleaning/Unbarring or going into an apple store with a blacklisted IMEI please do let me know.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants