Phone call from Ebay

Last month my ebay account got suspended as i didnt have enough in my paypal to pay the fees, i forgot about this and have now just had a call from the debt collection agency :? saying i need to pay the money, it was about £10 but they said its £21 on the phone, i dont have no money on my card so they said they will be sending a letter out.

Were do i go from here? what happens now?

69 Comments

Err you need to pay basically!

I'm guessing the extra tenner is because they now have to pay the debt collector, Each day it could go up if its not paid.

Original Poster

What happens if i dont pay it then

odriscoll

Err well i'm not 100% sure, But they could involve baliffs etc, But because its a small amount they probably won't bother, Still i'd rather pay to keep on the safe side though!

odriscoll

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/o050.gif

fox2020

Do you know how much it would cost to get him beaten with baseball bats Fox??!?

Far likelier they'd just leave banana skins by his front door in the hopes he'd break his own leg........

http://www.padgate-driving.co.uk/i/banana-skin.jpg

cheers for the pic of a banana skin charlie, i didn't have a clue what one looked like

fwibble

cheers for the pic of a banana skin charlie, i didn't have a clue what … cheers for the pic of a banana skin charlie, i didn't have a clue what one looked like

I was just in a banana skin kinda mood......
[SIZE="1"](I have some pineapple pics if you're interested)[/SIZE]

CHARLIETHIRTYTWO

I was just in a banana skin kinda mood......[SIZE="1"](I have some … I was just in a banana skin kinda mood......[SIZE="1"](I have some pineapple pics if you're interested)[/SIZE]

Id like to see them! Hate bananas!

u get a note thru the post saying a peter brown is gonna call

he never does

and numerous letters and calls demanding or asking payment

No call up the debt company and tell them you have no money in your account but your prepared to pay them £5 every 2 weeks (for example)

That way they know there getting paid and you wont rack up interest and incur more charges on your account....this will only get worse if you dont sort it out.

Banned

odriscoll

My friend sold a mobile phone on ebay and the buyer did a chargeback which left my friend owing paypal the money for the phone.

As he already sent off the phone he did not think it was fair that he should have to pay back the money.

He received a letter from a debt collection agency but ignored it. Several months on and he no longer gets anymore letters from the debt collection agency.

TongPo

He received a letter from a debt collection agency but ignored it. … He received a letter from a debt collection agency but ignored it. Several months on and he no longer gets anymore letters from the debt collection agency.

Even if the debt collectors give up - there is a possibility that this may affect your credit rating. If you decide not to pay you may want to check in six months if this has been recorded as a black mark on your credit rating......

Probably be cheaper and safer just to pay up.

As you're not 18 there is nothing they can do......but they will remove your account for not being old enough. Probably chase your parents for the money as they are responsible for you.

Banned

If you owe the money, then simply pay up. Its not a huge amount I'm sure someone will lend you it if you haven't got it.

But, you don't seem to have a problem purchasing games etc.

Original Poster

It was for selling, and i have no more money as i have been swapping games lately as im skint.

Banned

But you made money from selling.

You used a service and knew that fees were payable, you should have saved some of the money you earned from the sales to pay them.

a) You lend money and pay it off, as debt collectors will add additional fees ontop of the arrears.
B) You dont pay it off and they send people to your registerd address.They CAN take value of good to the amount you owe. If its your parents address then i guess they will be expected to pay your debt.

My advice pay it, its not really doing to break the bank is it.:whistling:

If its your parents address then i guess they will be expected to pay … If its your parents address then i guess they will be expected to pay your debt.

Legally a debt collector cannot take what is not registered to the person owing the debt.

In reality they do what they like (unless of course you play them at their own game)

Anyway, to the OP, pay the money, put it down to experience and move on. Life is full of lessons to be learnt, this is just one of them. Learn from it.

It's not your day. Kicked off eBay. HUKD neg feedback for ignoring someone's problem you sold to on here. Are we going to have another jase on our hands???

my advice is pay it and learn from it, or you will regret it in years to come

Simon_G

Legally a debt collector cannot take what is not registered to the person … Legally a debt collector cannot take what is not registered to the person owing the debt. In reality they do what they like (unless of course you play them at their own game)Anyway, to the OP, pay the money, put it down to experience and move on. Life is full of lessons to be learnt, this is just one of them. Learn from it.

I ment morally his parents would be expected to pay their childs debt, as I know they cannot take things not legally belonging to the person owing the money. Which is why i dont think its unreasonable to expect the parents( or legal guardians) to pay. Lucky for him hes a minor. Just dont ignore debt letters when your older as it will be a differernt game :-D .They CAN and WILL take goods then.

i believe baliffs need a court order before they can even begin to do anything

and paypal wont go down that route seen as they are dodgy themselves

most of the info is on ]paypalsucks.com

]Can a bailiff force his/her way into my house?
Most bailiffs do not have the right to force their way into your home to seize your goods. The only exception is that bailiffs from the Collector of Taxes (Inland Revenue) can get a warrant to force entry, but this is very rare.
All other bailiffs have a right of peaceful entry only. This means that they cannot use force to enter your home, for example, by breaking a window or a door. However, they can enter your property through an open door or window (front and back) and can climb over fences and gates, but cannot break them down. See also ''If a bailiff does gain peaceful entry to my house, what will they do?''
You do not have to let a bailiff into your house. A bailiff cannot force their way past you if you answer the door. If all your doors and windows are securely closed they will not be able to gain peaceful entry to your house unless you let them in.

Its hardly an amount to be sending,prob have lots more letters from debt collectors,demands to pay, phone the company and set up a montly payment for few quid.Offer them few quid a month, they will prob accept that just to clear debt off.Wont take you long either. you can do it s/o or DD. That will stop anymore letter and it makes you look co operative.

Original Poster

Syzable

It's not your day. Kicked off eBay. HUKD neg feedback for ignoring … It's not your day. Kicked off eBay. HUKD neg feedback for ignoring someone's problem you sold to on here. Are we going to have another jase on our hands???

My account got suspended because a friend told me they didnt take the fees for months after you have sold so didnt have money ready and they sent emails to my email address that i dont check., and i didnt see the post from baz, ill PM him now about it.

Original Poster

Syzable

It's not your day. Kicked off eBay. HUKD neg feedback for ignoring … It's not your day. Kicked off eBay. HUKD neg feedback for ignoring someone's problem you sold to on here. Are we going to have another jase on our hands???

Is that a joke?

odriscoll

i dont have no money on my card so they said they will be sending a … i dont have no money on my card so they said they will be sending a letter out.Were do i go from here? what happens now?

Is it that you don't have the money at all or just not Paypal or Credit Card credit? Because if it helps you can post them a cheque

Original Poster

No money at all

sorry mate :-(

odriscoll

Is that a joke?

Aye...........no one could replace jase. :giggle:

Original Poster

I sold baz that game months ago and have cleaned the house out as weve finally got a date were moving friday so the house is almost empty.

odriscoll

I sold baz that game months ago and have cleaned the house out as weve … I sold baz that game months ago and have cleaned the house out as weve finally got a date were moving friday so the house is almost empty.

Well as you're too young to be on the electoral roll........eBay won't find you anyway when you move then. :w00t: :thumbsup:

Original Poster

So im free of debt :O or will it catch up with me?

odriscoll

It could do but i very much doubt it as you can only be responsible for that debt if you're over 18. Technically eBay are at fault for allowing you to have an account.

i doubt they knew he was under 18 lol

Banned

Dont pay mate, i got a letter saying i owe them 182 dollars so i phoned them to ask why and a buyer on ebay who i sold a phone to said he never received the item 2 months after i sold it so by that time a never had the tracking number/reciept from royal mail and i was charged this money because never responded on my paypal account(as i never knew it was going on).

I then got letters telling me to pay the money but i did some research on the debt collectors company and the company is owned by paypal and they are not baliffs, paypal is also known for never ever taken anyone to court over someone owing money to them. Let them send you letters and just ignore them, they will go away.

Also they cannot affect your credit rating and banks will not know about it so dont worry about that.

kcnw9
p.s. dont forget, dont use the same card you used before on paypal again as they might try and take the money

odriscoll

Do the responsible thing and pay what you owe, it is not clever to avoid debt, it will catch up with you eventually, they may even track you via your ISP.

I am sure you would not wish to bring misery to your parents for the sake of so little money.

Baliffs are only an issue if you fail to honor a court order. No debt will ever go to baliffs until it has gone to court first. This is not a priority debt, like council tax and suchlike, even then they go to court first. This is the UK, not Uzbekistan.

odriscoll

So your telling me you have no money whatsoever?

How do you pay towards the Gas, Electric, Food etc?

If you really don't have £20 you need a job fast.

Original Poster

Yep been looking for a job, im in college and earn £30 EMA each week but seen as its summer holidays i have no money, plus theres 3 of us and my mums a single parent and were moving this week so money we dont have at the moment.

odriscoll

im in college and earn £30 EMA each week but seen as its summer holidays … im in college and earn £30 EMA each week but seen as its summer holidays i have no money.

And how does the £30 get spent?, On essentials or on games..........

No offence odriscoll But I struggle to believe anyone can't save up £20............., You've sold enough games etc, Where is the money going?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 5am gym crew20132
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767382
    3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2469
    4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1319

See more discussions