Phone contract ending advice

Posted 16th Sep
looking for advice re my phone contract coming to an end. Currently I'm on a 24m contract with three for phone & sim that was taken out via a 3rd party. According to my account, minimum term is until 26/11 with upgrade options available from 20/10.

From my understanding I still need to give three 30 days notice to actually terminate the contract otherwise they would continue to take the monthly payment indefinitely. I either plan to move to sim only (are most simo contracts 12m?) & keep my current device, or take out a new contract. I would do this with three depending on what they can offer me, or with another retailer (incl. 3rd party). if that is the better deal.

I am keen to see what black Friday has to offer but that's 3 days after my contract ends so what are my options for the 3 day gap? Won't I have already had to make a decision before black Friday?

Also what's the best way to get three to offer a decent retention deal? Get put through to retentions? If I ask for PAC code would that automatically terminate my contract or, would I actually have to give it to another provider for anything to actually happen (ie could I call three's bluff?) From what I recall when OH left three they only actually got anywhere when asking for PAC code but by that time it was too late & a new contract had been taken out elsewhere bc prior to that three had repeatedly stated they couldn't match anything near that. (As I say it was only when asking for pac code they finally offered a fairly close matched deal).
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Black Friday usually don't have a big affect on SIM only deals. More on hardware.
Yes you will need to give 30 days notice.
Three offer unlimited data for 24 Months contract. £10 a month for first 6 months & £20 a month thereafter
Most people are able to get a very good deal via haggling with three.
Ring them and say you want to terminate your contract.
Not I'm thinking of leaving, " I want to leave, I have given birth to octuplets & can't afford it"
At this point Geoffrey from Mumbai or his aunt. Josephine also from Mumbai will offer a very good deal.
How much data do you use?
30 days termination rules changed if you switching

Read this
ofcom.org.uk/abo…ing
adamderak16/09/2019 09:31

Black Friday usually don't have a big affect on SIM only deals. More on …Black Friday usually don't have a big affect on SIM only deals. More on hardware.Yes you will need to give 30 days notice.Three offer unlimited data for 24 Months contract. £10 a month for first 6 months & £20 a month thereafterMost people are able to get a very good deal via haggling with three.Ring them and say you want to terminate your contract.Not I'm thinking of leaving, " I want to leave, I have given birth to octuplets & can't afford it"At this point Geoffrey from Mumbai or his aunt. Josephine also from Mumbai will offer a very good deal.How much data do you use?

Currently I get 8gb data unltd calls and texts. If it's simo assuming 12m not 24m I'd accept the same allowance but be looking for less that £10/month as have seen it available for that from 3 to new customers hence as an existing customer would want some kind of deal.

Re phones / hardware in a 24 month contract if be looking for something with at least 10gb data but preferably upwards of 15gb. Ideally I'd be hoping to get the p30 with those allowances or more for around £25/month (ambitious I know). With this is mind it's probably likely I'll end up on simo. Would consider other phones though.

I am aware I need to give 30 days notice but I'm wondering how that affects the 3 day gap between my contract officially ending and black Friday? I don't want to tie into a 12 simo contract with 3 then black Friday has something good.

My contract ends 30 days after I give my notice right? So I could effectively give my notice around 30/10 to bring the contract end date to the day of black Friday? But that would incur extra charges? Plus would I need to decide at the time of giving notice on a possible simo by three or could I give the 30 days notice then if bf offers nothing get back in touch with 3 to see what simo (or upgrade) they can offer?
little_green16/09/2019 10:17

...I need to give 30 days notice but I'm wondering how that affects the 3 …...I need to give 30 days notice but I'm wondering how that affects the 3 day gap between my contract officially ending and black Friday? I don't want to tie into a 12 simo contract with 3 then black Friday has something good.

Consider that an off-premises (distance) sale buys you 14days from receipt of SIM/phone to cancel at no penalty, and just pay for services used (may be pro-rata of a monthly allowance), but be aware of any credit checks mounting on credit file although some monthly arrangements do not involve CC, such as Smarty, Voxi, etc, and you could optionally choose to use such a service as a SIMO stopgap.

My contract ends 30 days after I give my notice right? So I could …My contract ends 30 days after I give my notice right? So I could effectively give my notice around 30/10 to bring the contract end date to the day of black Friday? But that would incur extra charges? Plus would I need to decide at the time of giving notice on a possible simo by three or could I give the 30 days notice then if bf offers nothing get back in touch with 3 to see what simo (or upgrade) they can offer?

As metioned by Cisco060606 above, if you are going to use a PAC there is no obligation to pay full 30day notice; the notice period payment effectively stops on the day you port. This implies it is more flexible to port rather than terminate, weven if you don't want to keep the your number.

Currently I get 8gb data unltd calls and texts. If it's simo assuming 12m …Currently I get 8gb data unltd calls and texts. If it's simo assuming 12m not 24m I'd accept the same allowance but be looking for less that £10/month as have seen it available for that from 3 to new customers hence as an existing customer would want some kind of deal.

Current 3 deal for 8GB + unlim txt&mins is currently £9/m plus £42.50 TCB opprtunity (so potentially effectively sub-£5.50/m) on 12m SIMO as a new customer; unlikely to be worse by BF. Simple port out / port in to achieve that deal (random example of ASDAmobile PAYG sim to use as port mechanism; freebie SIM & no need for a topup to port).
topcashback.co.uk/3-m…le/
mobile.asda.com/
mobile.asda.com/sco…ard
if you have sky tv then sign up to sky mobile, as a new customer ask for 50% discount on any future upgrades, with no data usage on skygo and piggybank every month its a good package
AndyRoyd16/09/2019 11:17

Consider that an off-premises (distance) sale buys you 14days from receipt …Consider that an off-premises (distance) sale buys you 14days from receipt of SIM/phone to cancel at no penalty, and just pay for services used (may be pro-rata of a monthly allowance), but be aware of any credit checks mounting on credit file although some monthly arrangements do not involve CC, such as Smarty, Voxi, etc, and you could optionally choose to use such a service as a SIMO stopgap.As metioned by Cisco060606 above, if you are going to use a PAC there is no obligation to pay full 30day notice; the notice period payment effectively stops on the day you port. This implies it is more flexible to port rather than terminate, weven if you don't want to keep the your number.Current 3 deal for 8GB + unlim txt&mins is currently £9/m plus £42.50 TCB opprtunity (so potentially effectively sub-£5.50/m) on 12m SIMO as a new customer; unlikely to be worse by BF. Simple port out / port in to achieve that deal (random example of ASDAmobile PAYG sim to use as port mechanism; freebie SIM & no need for a topup to port).https://www.topcashback.co.uk/3-mobile/https://mobile.asda.com/https://mobile.asda.com/scoop/keep-your-old-number-new-sim-card

Hi all so just to clarify here's my understanding
- my current contract which although due to end 26/11 will continue to run (and I'll continue to be debited the same monthly amount) unless I give 30 days notice
- instead of giving the 30 days notice so that my contract terminates on 26/11 I can delay this by a few days so that it ends slight after back Friday, however any extra days I am over 26/11 I will be billed for
- alternatively I can contact them within 30 days of 26/11 (say 1/11) and request my PAC code. I can then use this to terminate the contract. If I use this prior to 26/11 though won't I be charged early exit fees? If I use this after 26/11 as long as I haven't signed up to a new contract with my three then it's ok

I still want to have a conversation with 3 in advance of black Friday to see the best deal they can offer for with and upgrade OR simo. To do this I believe I need to get put through to retentions. I'm still confused as to how I can do this (or find out my options) without actually tying into something new bc if I contact them and they offer eg £8/m 10gb Unlt Calls and texts won't I be forced to either take it at the time they offer or lose it? If I say I need time to think (thus buying me time to see bf deals) and then call them back they might no longer be able to offer me that? I also want to be in a position of knowing the best deals 3 can offer me in advance of bf so that I can accurately compare

Thanks
little_green18/09/2019 09:46

Hi all so just to clarify here's my understanding- my current contract …Hi all so just to clarify here's my understanding- my current contract which although due to end 26/11 will continue to run (and I'll continue to be debited the same monthly amount) unless I give 30 days notice - instead of giving the 30 days notice so that my contract terminates on 26/11 I can delay this by a few days so that it ends slight after back Friday, however any extra days I am over 26/11 I will be billed for - alternatively I can contact them within 30 days of 26/11 (say 1/11) and request my PAC code. I can then use this to terminate the contract. If I use this prior to 26/11 though won't I be charged early exit fees? If I use this after 26/11 as long as I haven't signed up to a new contract with my three then it's okI still want to have a conversation with 3 in advance of black Friday to see the best deal they can offer for with and upgrade OR simo. To do this I believe I need to get put through to retentions. I'm still confused as to how I can do this (or find out my options) without actually tying into something new bc if I contact them and they offer eg £8/m 10gb Unlt Calls and texts won't I be forced to either take it at the time they offer or lose it? If I say I need time to think (thus buying me time to see bf deals) and then call them back they might no longer be able to offer me that? I also want to be in a position of knowing the best deals 3 can offer me in advance of bf so that I can accurately compare Thanks

Probably too much thinking here. You have to pay for the minimum term regardless of whenever you leave 3. Suggest you simply request your PAC 7 days before contract ends, that will give you up to 3 weeks after your contract ends to leave/terminate without further obligation to pay beyond the date of PAC use (subject to minimum term) and sufficient time to attempt to negotiate a retention from 3.
AndyRoyd18/09/2019 10:54

Probably too much thinking here. You have to pay for the minimum term …Probably too much thinking here. You have to pay for the minimum term regardless of whenever you leave 3. Suggest you simply request your PAC 7 days before contract ends, that will give you up to 3 weeks after your contract ends to leave/terminate without further obligation to pay beyond the date of PAC use (subject to minimum term) and sufficient time to attempt to negotiate a retention from 3.

Thanks I just wanted to be sure as not had a contract before so this is the end of my first contract so unfamiliar with the process. Basically after my contract end date I'm free to leave 3 at any time. The payment will continue until I officially move the something new but after 26/11 the contract has effectively ended (ie. I'm not tied in at all and free to leave at any time)
little_green18/09/2019 10:59

Thanks I just wanted to be sure as not had a contract before so this is …Thanks I just wanted to be sure as not had a contract before so this is the end of my first contract so unfamiliar with the process. Basically after my contract end date I'm free to leave 3 at any time. The payment will continue until I officially move the something new but after 26/11 the contract has effectively ended (ie. I'm not tied in at all and free to leave at any time)

Possibly a cover-all summary: from 30days prior to contract end you are obligated to pay the same contractual rate until either:
i) 30days from date of giving notice notice, or
ii) the number of days' service up to use of a PAC,
whichever comes first after the minimum term has expired.
Use of PAC is the most beneficial escape route as it effectively terminates the existing arrangement the day it is used, which may be as short as the day after the PAC code is requested, so effectively a 30day notice obligation is potentially reduced to 1 working day (subject to payment of minimum contract term).
This also applies if you do not want to keep the existing mobile number; just port the contract number via PAC to any other UK network PAYG service to instantly kill the obligation to the donating network. Let the (now) PAYG number sit there until it expires, which is typically 6months after non-use.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants