Phone ex directory but pestered by calls

Found 29th Dec 2009
Just thought I would ask on here.

Only had phone about 3 weeks, the old phone number was taken by previous tenants and I was given a new number.

The first week was a nightmare, rang at least 30 times a day by various companies asking to speak to the business holder, voicemails asking about what time does the club open or similar.

I guess I have been given the number of a former nightclub or something but I got fed up of being woken up around 7am each morning with calls.

BT put me on TPS and the calls lessened but still getting on average about 3-5 calls a day(sometimes less sometimes more)

I am ex directory anyway but wondered if there was much I could do.

12 Comments

Ask them for a new number.

ask BT to change your number

Just ring your provider and tell them you continue to get nuisance calls. They should offer to give you a new number for free - they also will give you a new number if you just ask, but there's a charge - charge is waived if it's to avoid nuisance/distressing calls.

we have a similar problem, we demanded an answer machine, now we can screen calls, if it's someone we know, we pick it up, if it's not more often than not they won't leave a message!

Banned

If you are on the caller preferred service and you're still getting nuisance calls, BT will give you a new number.

Have you thought about asking them to give you a new number? ie one that hadn't previously been used as a business number.

storysacks;7364495

we have a similar problem, we demanded an answer machine, now we can … we have a similar problem, we demanded an answer machine, now we can screen calls, if it's someone we know, we pick it up, if it's not more often than not they won't leave a message!

Hmmmm. You'd never speak to me then! (Yeh I know... that'd be a good thing!)

Go to the telephone preference service and register you details there. Its a legally binding list of people who do not want cold callers on the phone.
You can issue proceedings if you are on this list and the caller continues with harassment.

All the best

Fwog

]LINK

Original Poster

storysacks;7364495

we have a similar problem, we demanded an answer machine, now we can … we have a similar problem, we demanded an answer machine, now we can screen calls, if it's someone we know, we pick it up, if it's not more often than not they won't leave a message!

I haev 1571 but dont answer the phone now unless I am expecting a call.

I may ask BT if they can provide caller display free as Id rather that then get a new number since last time I did that I lost my broadband, but that was almost 3 years ago anyway.

speak to B.T. again, ask if they can intercept all calls for free for a short while, they will just put forward your real calls, or ask for an old private number not a business number.
the TPS is not going to solve your problems, it's the people who have your number in memory or old telephone directories etc, that are phoning you.
have you checked what has happened to the club that you are getting calls for?
a simple recorded message stating the facts eg. the new number is......./ has now gone into liquidation etc.
can be put on an answer machine

i was looking at ]this, TrueCall. Ideal little gadget, bit pricey but im sure the price will come down or there might be something similar out there.

Banned

The Fox;7364842

speak to B.T. again, ask if they can intercept all calls for free for a … speak to B.T. again, ask if they can intercept all calls for free for a short while, they will just put forward your real calls, or ask for an old private number not a business number.the TPS is not going to solve your problems, it's the people who have your number in memory or old telephone directories etc, that are phoning you.have you checked what has happened to the club that you are getting calls for?a simple recorded message stating the facts eg. the new number is......./ has now gone into liquidation etc.can be put on an answer machine

Precisely.

When I got our new BT number when I left NTHell, I used to get loads of Fax calls - often at 3 in the morning and other ungodly hours. We ended up with a new number of our choice (since I had paid a fee to get a memorable number in the first place!)

we had a similar problem so i contacted BT changed our number went ex-directory and they also set up caller display - which they can do as long as you have a digital handset - that was three weeks ago and we have had no problems - imo they could not have been more helpful - took about 7 days to go live though. hope you get it sorted - nothing worse.

richp;7364871

i was looking at ]this, TrueCall. Ideal little gadget, bit pricey but im … i was looking at ]this, TrueCall. Ideal little gadget, bit pricey but im sure the price will come down or there might be something similar out there.

This looks interesting, £99.99p list price but a quick look google £69.99 Free Delivery (Play)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247593
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769302
    3. Coming up to bonfire night ...2231
    4. Hope of a cure for asthma56

See more discussions