Expired

Phone from CEX is blacklisted?

Found 28th May 2015
Could do with some advice from folks who have dealt with CEX before, its the first time i've ever used them.

I bought a Galaxy Note 4 for the wife on the 8th of this month, all was fine and dandy until this morning when the handset wont register on the network, just says emergency calls only. I call 3 mobile as its a 3 branded handset and they confirmed it was blacklisted yesterday (27th) as lost/stolen.

I cant get hold of CEX right now due to them having no phone number, crazy. I will pop into the store later today if I get time.

What I need to know is can I return it to the store for a full refund as its only been 2 weeks and 6 days? to be honest i'm not confident in buying pre-owned phones now and will just buy the wife a sim free handset from Amazon or similar.

Thanks
Community Updates
23 Comments
I know that all CEX electronics come with a 12 month warranty.
not certain mate but as long as you have receipt of the purchase then dont see why not. surely they should do their checks before buying any item to make sure itss legit
Amy problem I with cex I would notify police as that is someone's phone
I did think it odd as the phone was literally brand new, nothing taken out of the box, I did think why would someone sell a brand spanking new phone to CEX? Obviously now I know why as they have pulled an insurance job or something on it.
Looking at their website it says any faulty goods up to 28 days can be exchanged or refunded, doesnt mention anything about it being online only so am assuming its in store aswell.
I work at cex take it back in and they will sort it over for you just take everything in to your nearest shop such as box and charger
Ask for exchange for another of the same model if it was an excellent deal and you don't think it can be replicated elsewhere.

They show loads in stock online so get a good one shipped to store or home.
Thanks for the info, I assume I can get a refund on this if I take it back to store?
take it back to cex, should be a straight forward swap. the law needs to be changed as genuine buyers get ripped off all the time. rights to blacklist should be blocked whenever ownership is changed.
stevehenderson84

Ask for exchange for another of the same model if it was an excellent … Ask for exchange for another of the same model if it was an excellent deal and you don't think it can be replicated elsewhere. They show loads in stock online so get a good one shipped to store or home.

To be honest we looked at the ones they had in store at the time, most that were listed as A grade had nicks and dinks and only went for this particular one as it was literally brand new. But as I say i've lost confidence in this pre-owned stuff now and would prefer to just get a refund and buy sim free from the likes of Amazon etc
redmouse2

take it back to cex, should be a straight forward swap. the law needs to … take it back to cex, should be a straight forward swap. the law needs to be changed as genuine buyers get ripped off all the time. rights to blacklist should be blocked whenever ownership is changed.

but then this just makes it more lucrative to scammers, thieves and gumtree users.

OP - this is the real danger of buying used smartphones. Absolutely no way to protect yourself.
I would only trust smartfonestore for such a product.
taken from their FAQ
What if my product becomes blocked or blacklisted?
We must stress that this is very unlikely. We work closely with the police and CheckMend, the international database for stolen property. We have systems in place that help to prevent the selling of handsets which are blocked; Before we receive our stock it’s checked, while it’s in stock it’s checked and before it’s dispatched it’s checked. However, we can't guarantee that a handset won’t become blocked in the future. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the second hand mobile phone industry, handsets do sometimes get blocked by the previous owner committing insurance fraud. While this is very rare, we will always guarantee to replace any handset purchased from us which becomes blocked in the future regardless of warranty.
I will just ask them to refund as their site states if it develops a fault within 28 days then I can return it for refund or exchange and in my opinion being blacklisted after a couple of weeks certainly falls into that faulty category.
Their idea of a refund is a voucher to the value of.
I will argue the point thats on their website in plain english if they get funny with me, it states a refund or exchange if faulty within 28 days, it says nothing of vouchers or credit notes etc so I will be expecting a full refund back onto my credit card.

I suppose I could get my credit card involved aswell if need be, or maybe even email the CEO of Cex if I have to and see what happens.
emporer

I did think it odd as the phone was literally brand new, nothing taken … I did think it odd as the phone was literally brand new, nothing taken out of the box, I did think why would someone sell a brand spanking new phone to CEX? Obviously now I know why as they have pulled an insurance job or something on it.

It's a scam called Box-breaking.. People will take a contract out, and never pay for it. They then sell the phone for profit - it's easier to get a contract than a loan..
Hi Emporer,

I am sorry to hear about the issue, I have dealt with these guys in the past and it was a nightmare!

Its quite simple, you are covered under the Sales of Good Act which states the product you purchased must be:

1) Sold in condition described
2) Fit for purpose

As the phone was blocked after you purchased it (and within 28 days period), you are entitled to a FULL refund as the phone is not sold as described (Blocked) and not fit for purpose (can't make calls).

CEX in their stores will make you wait while their 'engineers' check the phone. Do not wait for more than 20 mins. Demand that they check within a reasonable time and refund you.

Stand your ground, Do not ask for the phone to be sent off anywhere, Have them check it, try another sim card in their stores and stand your ground. Do NOT accept any vouchers (they're not worth the paper they're printed on. Only Credit card or cash refund. Be firm but polite and make sure you get your point across.

I hope you get this resolved. Best of lucks buddy.
Thanks guys, i'll update in a couple of hours after lunch once i've been into town.
Well it all went rather well, I was expecting hostility and a sense that they would want to try everything to avoid an actual refund, but they seemed surprised that the phone was blacklisted and said it was quite rare, although I would imagine in their line of business I bey it's quite the opposite. But they didn't argue with me at all and once they did their checks I just asked for the refund and they did it without question.

Thanks for the help folks.
Hello, after reading these comments about Cex i wonder if anyone can help me!

I bought a phone from Cex 2 months ago (apple iPhone 6) and sold it on eBay as I simply prefer android, the person who bought my phone on eBay opened a case against me to say the phone was listed as stolen within a week of them using it, they provided eBay a check mend report to prove it is stolen and I now have to refund them £400 odd and eBay have told the buyer they don't have to return the phone to me! When I appealed against Ebay's decision as the phone wasn't blacklisted when I sold it they told me to take the check mend report and my Cex receipt back to the store and explain why I don't have the phone.

Surely if I go into the store without the phone and just a report to say it's stolen they aren't exactly going to refund me?

Any advise I would really appreciate it!

Thanks
snubs1

Hello, after reading these comments about Cex i wonder if anyone can help … Hello, after reading these comments about Cex i wonder if anyone can help me!I bought a phone from Cex 2 months ago (apple iPhone 6) and sold it on eBay as I simply prefer android, the person who bought my phone on eBay opened a case against me to say the phone was listed as stolen within a week of them using it, they provided eBay a check mend report to prove it is stolen and I now have to refund them £400 odd and eBay have told the buyer they don't have to return the phone to me! When I appealed against Ebay's decision as the phone wasn't blacklisted when I sold it they told me to take the check mend report and my Cex receipt back to the store and explain why I don't have the phone.Surely if I go into the store without the phone and just a report to say it's stolen they aren't exactly going to refund me?Any advise I would really appreciate it!Thanks

I would request the phone back if you can. from experience with cex you could say anything about the phone and they will replace or refund it without any hassle. my iPhone screen pixels burnt (which was my fault most likely) and they refunded me almost a year after purchase.

without the phone tho I don't think they can do anything.
redmouse2

take it back to cex, should be a straight forward swap. the law needs to … take it back to cex, should be a straight forward swap. the law needs to be changed as genuine buyers get ripped off all the time. rights to blacklist should be blocked whenever ownership is changed.

So if ownership was changed due to theft then the original owner should just lose out and forfeit their rights to protect their own property...?
trouble is, the phone is bought into contract - therefore the phone belongs to the network not the person who traded it in. ownership wont truelly be the person trading it in if still under contract. like you but a car on finance, car actually belongs to the finance company therefore you can not part ex. Places like CEX need to be way more vigilant with this as its only going to cost them money. I purchased literally 3 days ago a iPhone 7 plus and now find out its blacklisted. no doubt a guy has taken new contract sold the phone and done a runner without paying and got loads of cash. That phone belongs to the network and CEX need to realise this.
ashbash85

trouble is, the phone is bought into contract - therefore the phone … trouble is, the phone is bought into contract - therefore the phone belongs to the network not the person who traded it in. ownership wont truelly be the person trading it in if still under contract. like you but a car on finance, car actually belongs to the finance company therefore you can not part ex. Places like CEX need to be way more vigilant with this as its only going to cost them money. I purchased literally 3 days ago a iPhone 7 plus and now find out its blacklisted. no doubt a guy has taken new contract sold the phone and done a runner without paying and got loads of cash. That phone belongs to the network and CEX need to realise this.

No trouble is this is an old thread didn't need bringing back to life again!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions