Phone help needed!

Found 30th Aug 2017
I'm not great with technology and only buy phones when one breaks or really need one. Well that time has come as I dropped my wileyfox swift in water by accident!

Now I only got that phone on recommendation but I'm really struggling to find good phones now as new phones look the same but have different specification, none of which I'm going to pretend to understand! I'm not a massive user but I use my phone a lot for Facebook and Instagram so battery and camera are really important to me.

A warranty for the phone is also up there which is why I haven't ventured out and got a deal from gearbest or AliExpress yet.

Could anyone help please? I would love some suggestions for a budget of £200 but preferably around the £150 or below mark. I always go for phones based on recommendations so I'll love to hear from the hukd community!
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
The Lenovo P2 was probably the best value phone of 2017. With that beast of a battery, and from within the UK. Sadly now Three have stopped selling it. We should see the Lenovo P3 announced in September, released the following month (I am guessing here). I would wait for that but I'm sure there are alternatives right now. The Moto G line lost it's spark 3205 revisions ago.
First up have you tried drying your phone out, secondly AliExpress offer 12 month warranty, mine cost £7 pounds, if my phone messes up i send it to a uk repair centre
Make sure the phone is switched off, then put it in a pot of dry uncooked rice for 24 hours. Then retry the phone. If it still won't work then i would recommend the following budget phones:

banggood.com/Xia…rch (this ones highly recommended for the price on hukd)

or

banggood.com/Len…rch
Edited by: "J4GG4" 30th Aug 2017
J4GG419 m ago

Make sure the phone is switched off, then put it in a pot of rice for 24 …Make sure the phone is switched off, then put it in a pot of rice for 24 hours. Then retry the phone. If it still won't work then i would recommend the following budget phones:https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4X-Fingerprint-5_5-inch-4GB-RAM-64GB-MTK-Helio-X20-Deca-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1139835.html?rmmds=searchorhttps://www.banggood.com/Lenovo-ZUK-Z2-Pro-5_2-inch-6GB-RAM-128GB-ROM-Snapdragon-820-2_15GHz-Quad-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1050713.html?rmmds=search

Should the rice be bought to a boil first or just in cold water?
best bet is to browse deals section and read some comments or read reviews on other sites

edit: bloody 'right click' spelling corrections dont take in edits?
Edited by: "brilly" 30th Aug 2017
Dyslexic_Dog2 h, 55 m ago

Should the rice be bought to a boil first or just in cold water?

I have got some Pot Noodles, do you think those will work?

Seriously, though, https://www.hotukdeals.com/profile/Fiduc2 ... if you are happy with the Wileyfox Swift, why not just buy another; a pre-owned example from GAME, or CeX, or eBay, etc?

The first one I found in search results for the criteria of Wileyfox Swift -"Swift 2":

J4GG44 h, 44 m ago

Make sure the phone is switched off, then put it in a pot of dry uncooked …Make sure the phone is switched off, then put it in a pot of dry uncooked rice for 24 hours. Then retry the phone. If it still won't work then i would recommend the following budget phones:https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4X-Fingerprint-5_5-inch-4GB-RAM-64GB-MTK-Helio-X20-Deca-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1139835.html?rmmds=search (this ones highly recommended for the price on hukd)orhttps://www.banggood.com/Lenovo-ZUK-Z2-Pro-5_2-inch-6GB-RAM-128GB-ROM-Snapdragon-820-2_15GHz-Quad-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1050713.html?rmmds=search

would getting a phone which needs rooting be a sensible option for someone who in their own words is 'not great with technology' ??
Option 1

smartfonestore.com/buy…spx

Samsung Galaxy S6 G920 64GB - Black - Unlocked (Any network) - Grade B

£200

excellent retailer, very good phone.

Option 2
sold by Amazon...

Wileyfox Swift 2 Plus 32 GB + 3 GB 4G SIM-Free Smartphone with Screen Replacement Card and Hard Case - Gold

amazon.co.uk/Wil…ift
davewave38 m ago

would getting a phone which needs rooting be a sensible option for someone …would getting a phone which needs rooting be a sensible option for someone who in their own words is 'not great with technology' ??

Are you referring to the redmi phone?.
J4GG48 m ago

Are you referring to the redmi phone?.

yeah I had a redmi 3 pro and could never get the hang of rooting it, I now have a Wileyfox swift2 and its been much smoother.
Check out the Xiaomi Note 4 global version with 4GB/64GB for £137 from aliexpress, amazing phone great value
See here
Original Poster
Sandy101217 h, 25 m ago

Check out the Xiaomi Note 4 global version with 4GB/64GB for £137 from …Check out the Xiaomi Note 4 global version with 4GB/64GB for £137 from aliexpress, amazing phone great valueSee here

Is AliExpress any good? I'm a bit nervous buying electricals online with no guarantee of product arrival or warranty.
What happens if something happens to the phone in transit? What happens if I need to claim warranty? Would I have to pay for customs or tax?
Hopefulgirl12344 m ago

Is AliExpress any good? I'm a bit nervous buying electricals online with …Is AliExpress any good? I'm a bit nervous buying electricals online with no guarantee of product arrival or warranty. What happens if something happens to the phone in transit? What happens if I need to claim warranty? Would I have to pay for customs or tax?

Yes you are covered. If the item doesnt arrive and seller cannot prove delivery then you will get a full refund.
I was nervous ordering my 1st phone from them, but now have ordered 20-30 items from ali over the last 2 years (6 Xiaomi phones) and never had any problems.
If you choose free delivery option you will not have to pay customs/tax as they always mark as gift and declare low value.
Original Poster
Sandy10121 h, 16 m ago

Yes you are covered. If the item doesnt arrive and seller cannot prove …Yes you are covered. If the item doesnt arrive and seller cannot prove delivery then you will get a full refund.I was nervous ordering my 1st phone from them, but now have ordered 20-30 items from ali over the last 2 years (6 Xiaomi phones) and never had any problems. If you choose free delivery option you will not have to pay customs/tax as they always mark as gift and declare low value.

What about the warranty of the phone if something goes along with it? I'm seriously considering the xiaomi remdi note 4 and 4x as it's got good reviews so far
Xiaomi is the 5th largest phone maker in the world in 2017, buyers are genrally very happy with their products and the Note 4 has great reviews, which should put your mind at ease somewhat. If anything goes wrong (extremely unlikely but possible) it will cost £15-£20 to send back. Aliexpress also try to sell their own warranty when you buy the phone for about £8, but I wouldnt bother with it.

Xiaomi models can be very confusing so be careful which you choose.

The note 4 is better/faster than the 4X.

Redmi 4X about £95 (5" screen) has a lower spec than the Note 4
Note 4 about £115 (5.5" screen) 3GB/32GB or the same Note 4 with 4GB/64GB £137

Aliexpress is generally the prefered source for Xiaomi's as its a market place they are stricter on their sellers to provide good items and service. So if anything goes wrong, or not received you should have a better/easier time on ali, compared to gearbest and others.
davewave30th Aug

Option …Option 1http://smartfonestore.com/buy_Handset_Samsung_Unlocked_Galaxy+S6+G920+64GB_Black_B.aspxSamsung Galaxy S6 G920 64GB - Black - Unlocked (Any network) - Grade B £200excellent retailer, very good phone.Option 2sold by Amazon...Wileyfox Swift 2 Plus 32 GB + 3 GB 4G SIM-Free Smartphone with Screen Replacement Card and Hard Case - Goldhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Wileyfox-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Screen-Replacement-Gold/dp/B01MFEOBJY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1504106658&sr=1-3&keywords=wileyfox+swift

The S6 doesn't have a great battery life. I know because I had it and I'm not even a heavy user.

The S7 is miles better with battery life but expensive (I'm writing from a S7 Edge)
Original Poster
So just a little update to say I ended up getting the Xiaomi rendition note 4gb phone from AliExpress.
So far I'm disappointed as I ordered it on the 1st of September and everytime I log on, it still says awaiting shipment. This means it's not even been shipped yet! Urghhh I'm annoyed because I still don't have a phone 😬

Any recommendations on what I should do now?
Hopefulgirl12311 h, 28 m ago

So just a little update to say I ended up getting the Xiaomi rendition …So just a little update to say I ended up getting the Xiaomi rendition note 4gb phone from AliExpress. So far I'm disappointed as I ordered it on the 1st of September and everytime I log on, it still says awaiting shipment. This means it's not even been shipped yet! Urghhh I'm annoyed because I still don't have a phone 😬Any recommendations on what I should do now?

Get a refund and avoid aliexpress. Total nightmare if anything goes wrong with the phone

i.e zero warranty unless you're prepared to send it back via fully recordable tracking which costs a fortune!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants