Phone Insurance Query

Found 6th Jun
I have recently lost my phone and made a claim to my insurance company. They have been in touch to say,

"Our initial enquiries show that the device was offered for sale on 3/6/18 at 19:57 pm."

Does anyone know where/how they would get this information using just the IMEI?

The police are involved and said it would be a great help if we can find where the phone has been put up for sale. I've checked ebay, gumtree and facebook in my area but no joy as yet.

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
To me it reads "we think you sold it so we aren't paying out"
31 Comments
I'm not an expert because I don't own a phone worth stealing but surely if the insurance company have this information, they Can tell you.
psychobitchfromhell36 m ago

I'm not an expert because I don't own a phone worth stealing but surely if …I'm not an expert because I don't own a phone worth stealing but surely if the insurance company have this information, they Can tell you.

I'm hoping so, just wondering if anyone knew how they checked it to save me waiting for a reply from them.
Just out of interest, if someone found your lost phone and tried to sell it. How doest that effect your claim?. Surely that's out of your control.
deleted1597344
If they know it’s been sold / or tried to be sold it’s because it’s more than likely the shop will have run checks on it to see if it’s stolen etc. The insurance company should be able to tell you which shop did this.
TradeWest576th Jun

I'm hoping so, just wondering if anyone knew how they checked it to save …I'm hoping so, just wondering if anyone knew how they checked it to save me waiting for a reply from them.

I would have though its at CEX or somewhere like that and they have to register the IMEI. If so they are handling stolen goods and hopefully you will get it back.
Imei number gets blocked when reported stolen and phone becomes useless. Bricked. Maybe it did and turned up somewhere like a shop that used for parts hence it was for sale. Or bits of it were. They must know who looks up imei number and maybe a shop did.
Edited by: "wayners" 6th Jun
MadeDixonsCry6th Jun

This is what I think, that they think I'm attempting to commit fraud by selling it and then trying to claim on it
deleted15973446th Jun

If they know it’s been sold / or tried to be sold it’s because it’s more th …If they know it’s been sold / or tried to be sold it’s because it’s more than likely the shop will have run checks on it to see if it’s stolen etc. The insurance company should be able to tell you which shop did this.

I've called them this morning and they said they don't have access to where has run the checks. I've reported it to the police straight after it happened but didn't have the IMEI to hand and haven't been able to give that until after it transpires someone has tried to sell it.
I remember I lost a phone that was not worth anything but had photos and a film with my first baby on it.

Vodafone didn't cancel the sim properly. Some $*$£*£*! found it, didn't bother trying to give back and used my account to download some music!

Some people are just scum!
Edited by: "gcmarcal" 6th Jun
Imei will be on the original phone box and in the paperwork plus you can call your network provider and get it. Then look it up online. All it will tell you is if the phone has been blocked or not. If its not blocked then that won't look good for you as you need to block it
Edited by: "wayners" 6th Jun
gcmarcal28 m ago

I remember I lost a phone that was not worth anything but had photos and a …I remember I lost a phone that was not worth anything but had photos and a film with my first baby on it.Vodafone didn't cancel the sim properly. Some $*$£*£*! found it, didn't bother trying to give back and used my account to download some music! Most people are just scum!

Fixed it for you
wayners1 h, 11 m ago

Imei will be on the original phone box and in the paperwork plus you can …Imei will be on the original phone box and in the paperwork plus you can call your network provider and get it. Then look it up online. All it will tell you is if the phone has been blocked or not. If its not blocked then that won't look good for you as you need to block it

Yeah I've got the IMEI from the original receipt from Apple, where would I be able to look it up?
Just Google it however this looks like it will do it Here
The more I read it, the more I think that 19:57 time is surprisingly detailed. It must be an online sale. Can't find anything myself to be honest.
wayners1 h, 24 m ago

Just Google it however this looks like it will do it Here

Already been on there, it just tells me info about which phone it is and it's spec. Thanks anyway
MadeDixonsCry4 m ago

The more I read it, the more I think that 19:57 time is surprisingly …The more I read it, the more I think that 19:57 time is surprisingly detailed. It must be an online sale. Can't find anything myself to be honest.

Definitely, I think it's to somewhere like Mazuma, Music Magpie etc
Horse has bolted and all that but make sure you install "Find My Device" on your next one
TradeWest576th Jun

Definitely, I think it's to somewhere like Mazuma, Music Magpie etc

Am I right in assuming that the insurance company had the imei number before they gave their response?
TradeWest572 h, 8 m ago

Already been on there, it just tells me info about which phone it is and …Already been on there, it just tells me info about which phone it is and it's spec. Thanks anyway

On black list though?
Here’s what you need to do, is call the insurance company and give them the crime reference number and ask for a reference number for your claim. Then call the police and provide the claim reference to them and the IMEI number (it’ll be on the box the device originally came in).

Re your insurance company’s suspicions, it’s a really common scam at the moment, to sell it so it passes checks and then claim for it from insurance.
tallpete336 h, 53 m ago

Horse has bolted and all that but make sure you install "Find My Device" …Horse has bolted and all that but make sure you install "Find My Device" on your next one

It had it on it already
MadeDixonsCry6 h, 46 m ago

Am I right in assuming that the insurance company had the imei number …Am I right in assuming that the insurance company had the imei number before they gave their response?

Yes, I'm assuming that's how they've found it
cmdr_elito8 m ago

Here’s what you need to do, is call the insurance company and give them t …Here’s what you need to do, is call the insurance company and give them the crime reference number and ask for a reference number for your claim. Then call the police and provide the claim reference to them and the IMEI number (it’ll be on the box the device originally came in).Re your insurance company’s suspicions, it’s a really common scam at the moment, to sell it so it passes checks and then claim for it from insurance.

Police have advised they aren't taking it any further. So unimpressed as I know who's took it and advised the police of such but apparently doesn't matter.
TradeWest579 m ago

Police have advised they aren't taking it any further. So unimpressed as I …Police have advised they aren't taking it any further. So unimpressed as I know who's took it and advised the police of such but apparently doesn't matter.

Well you should have a pin code that you never share and linked it to either a google or iCloud account, these would prevent anyone resetting your phone and selling it.
cmdr_elito3 m ago

Well you should have a pin code that you never share and linked it to …Well you should have a pin code that you never share and linked it to either a google or iCloud account, these would prevent anyone resetting your phone and selling it.

I do, I had everything possible on it. Activation lock, passcode, face recognition, 2 factor authentication but people will always find a way around it.
TradeWest5724 m ago

I do, I had everything possible on it. Activation lock, passcode, face …I do, I had everything possible on it. Activation lock, passcode, face recognition, 2 factor authentication but people will always find a way around it.

Face recognition is easy to fool, that’s why I wouldn’t buy a phone with that as the main feature. Either that or they got it when it was unlocked, reset your account password (your email was probably accessible) and then removed it all as they had the new password.
TradeWest5729 m ago

I do, I had everything possible on it. Activation lock, passcode, face …I do, I had everything possible on it. Activation lock, passcode, face recognition, 2 factor authentication but people will always find a way around it.

Did you call the phone network to block the device and sim?
TradeWest578 h, 21 m ago

It had it on it already

So you have secured and erased it via find my device?
cmdr_elito6th Jun

Did you call the phone network to block the device and sim?

Yes
chocci7th Jun

So you have secured and erased it via find my device?

I spoke to Apple who said if I erase everything on it I can't use find my iphone and won't get notified when someone gets on the phone so I've left it in lost mode for the timebeing.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants