Phone Insurance - Replacement Mobile Phone Options - Need Your Help...

Found 14th May
Sent my Nokia 6 (2017 version) off to get a cracked screen replaced, with my banks phone insurance...

Thought would be a straight forward repair, but had a phone call from them and said they are unable to repair it, which is a bit disappointing as liked the metal unibody, great screen and worked great for me!

They are unable to replace it like for like and offered me one of the below options as an alternative:

- £250 Cash
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
- Sony Xperia Z5
- Nexus 5

Any ideas which you guys think is the best option?

They were trying to push me towards the Samsung or Sony options and telling me these are flagship phones, where my Nokia 6 is a lot more basic phone, and would be getting a batter phone.

The £250 is tempting as this will more than replace my phone, like for like!

Are any of these phones a better option?
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Take the £250. None of the phones are worth that. You can get an s7 edge for £250 albeit used.
Take £250, buy the Nokia 6 2018 version. All the others are a bit dated. Probably work fine but won't really be getting updates anymore. If you want to try something different, have a look at the Xiaomi mi A1, or if youre patient, see if you can get the Nokia 8
Take the cash.

Samsung phones are rubbish and the Sony ones are pretty ropey.
Take the money, go into a three shop and play with an honor 9 to see what you think of it (great phone, fast, great specs and perfect size for pocket), then if you like it look around and get a deal. List price, which you never pay, is abound £390. You can get them for around £240,but pay the extra £30 for the benefit of buying from a mainstream dealer. Not that I've ever had any issues with Honor /Huawei.
Take the cash.

Also factor in the excess you had to pay, £50? So really only getting £200 but you can go to Amazon warehouse and get a bargain. Got my s7 edge for £200 , it was classed as good but came in spanking new. A bit of a pain as it can be git and miss but you can return until you get a damn fine mobile and it's worth it.
cmdr_elito21 h, 35 m ago

Take the cash.Samsung phones are rubbish and the Sony ones are pretty …Take the cash.Samsung phones are rubbish and the Sony ones are pretty ropey.

My S7 Edge is perfectly fine and haven't had any issues with it. Have had it for ages now. My S4 served me well for years before that one. I had an S6 as well in between and that was fine too.
I had a Sony M4 Aqua and had no problems with it either.
I would take the cash too but your statement about Samsung phones and Sony ones is ludicrous since you haven't given any reason at all to substantiate it.

OP, the Nexus 5 is ancient now. Definitely don't get that. I can only vouch for the S7 Edge which has a good battery life and I have used personally as my main phone for months. Haven't used the Sony so can't comment on that.
Like I said, I would take the money and buy what I want where I want.
Edited by: "hearts22" 15th May
hearts227 m ago

My S7 Edge is perfectly fine and haven't had any issues with it. Have had …My S7 Edge is perfectly fine and haven't had any issues with it. Have had it for ages now. My S4 served me well for years before that one. I had an S6 as well in between and that was fine too.I had a Sony M4 Aqua and had no problems with it either. I would take the cash too but your statement about Samsung phones and Sony ones is ludicrous since you haven't given any reason at all to substantiate it.OP, the Nexus 5 is ancient now. Definitely don't get that. I can only vouch for the S7 Edge which has a good battery life and I have used personally as my main phone for months. Haven't used the Sony so can't comment on that. Like I said, I would take the money and buy what I want where I want.

Both my friend and myself have had a string of Sony phones, dodgy batteries, random freezing/crashing although cameras are really good but remember it’s a phone.

At work and my brother had various Samsung phones who all failed miserably, some literally disintegrated without being handled roughly (ie in protective cases), poor batteries, screen failures (not cracks), crashing etc.

Now everyone is using iPhones very little issues except replacing the batteries.
Take the money
cmdr_elito15th May

Both my friend and myself have had a string of Sony phones, dodgy …Both my friend and myself have had a string of Sony phones, dodgy batteries, random freezing/crashing although cameras are really good but remember it’s a phone.At work and my brother had various Samsung phones who all failed miserably, some literally disintegrated without being handled roughly (ie in protective cases), poor batteries, screen failures (not cracks), crashing etc.Now everyone is using iPhones very little issues except replacing the batteries.

Everyone has different personal experiences.

I have an iPhone 7 Plus too at the moment and it's not perfect either. I have had some little freezes lately but nothing tragic... I am open-minded with phones. I don't buy just one brand blindly. Both my Samsung and the iPhone work equally fine IMO.
The S7 Edge even took a bath and kept working happily after. It was exactly as described. Water-resistant.

I have dropped both in the bathroom that has no carpet and everywhere around the house a few times and both survived. I don't have them in heavy duty cases by the way. Boyfriend dropped his iPhone 6 once and screen cracked. I have replaced it myself for him. Bad luck.
No phone is perfect. Samsung and Sony objectively don't make phones.

My sister has an LG v10 whose screen has failed for example.. it shows lines on one half... but I don't go around saying LG makes cr@p phones just because she had a lemon.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants