Matalan Phone Interview

Posted 11th Sep
I have a matalan phone interview today. any tips?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Don’t moan about previous jobs, especially if asked why you applied for Matalan or why a change of company.

Even if the cat is climbing your leg, the roof is leaking and someone just dropped a skip on your car, try and sound upbeat and enthusiastic. All without being sickly sweet.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 11th Sep
41 Comments
Good luck, hope it goes well.
Smile, they can tell
Make sure you're just focused on the interview and are not being distracted by a TV, phone, magazine etc
Have the job specification (what’s your understanding of the role?) and website with company info (what do you know about the company?) available. ‘Cheating’ a little but will help with some of the questions.
Don’t moan about previous jobs, especially if asked why you applied for Matalan or why a change of company.

Even if the cat is climbing your leg, the roof is leaking and someone just dropped a skip on your car, try and sound upbeat and enthusiastic. All without being sickly sweet.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 11th Sep
Make sure your phone is charged .
AW007911/09/2019 08:20

Make sure your phone is charged .

And you’re not sitting in a reception dead spot.
Sc4mp011/09/2019 07:43

Make sure you're just focused on the interview and are not being …Make sure you're just focused on the interview and are not being distracted by a TV, phone, magazine etc

Wow, that's very true
Vencurse11/09/2019 07:58

Have the job specification (what’s your understanding of the role?) and w …Have the job specification (what’s your understanding of the role?) and website with company info (what do you know about the company?) available. ‘Cheating’ a little but will help with some of the questions.

Didnt think of that to be honest. Appreciate it!
Oneday7711/09/2019 08:08

Don’t moan about previous jobs, especially if asked why you applied for M …Don’t moan about previous jobs, especially if asked why you applied for Matalan or why a change of company. Even if the cat is climbing your leg, the roof is leaking and someone just dropped a skip on your car, try and sound upbeat and enthusiastic. All without being sickly sweet.

Wow that's some good advice. However this is my first ever job.** Potential first ever job.
deals6911/09/2019 09:13

Wow that's some good advice. However this is my first ever job.** …Wow that's some good advice. However this is my first ever job.** Potential first ever job.

All the best and good luck.
Without body language, your tone has to carry all your expressions.

Not for everyone but you may find standing up while doing the call easier. Less likely to fidget and a bit of pacing keeps you animated.

When asked for evidence of a time you did x and how did you deal with it. Normally teamwork style questions, try and think of difficult situations where you contributed. Google common interview questions and do a bit of prep.
Oneday7711/09/2019 09:18

All the best and good luck. Without body language, your tone has to carry …All the best and good luck. Without body language, your tone has to carry all your expressions. Not for everyone but you may find standing up while doing the call easier. Less likely to fidget and a bit of pacing keeps you animated. When asked for evidence of a time you did x and how did you deal with it. Normally teamwork style questions, try and think of difficult situations where you contributed. Google common interview questions and do a bit of prep.

Ahh ok will do. Will try and note down common questions with good answers relating to teamwork and have their website open on the values page
And don't lie with your answers, if you're unsure or something doesn't apply to you ask again or explain, don't make things up as it sounds daft.
Sc4mp011/09/2019 09:38

And don't lie with your answers, if you're unsure or something doesn't …And don't lie with your answers, if you're unsure or something doesn't apply to you ask again or explain, don't make things up as it sounds daft.

Ahh ok I understand! That seems very true and yes I will try and ask for explanations etc. Appreciate the good advice!
Tell them that your mum is a ninja, father is don of the mafia and brother is a hitman.
How did it go?
Sc4mp011/09/2019 17:13

How did it go?

I'm fuming because it's been 1 hour 15 mins since the scheduled time and they've not rang.
deals6911/09/2019 17:15

I'm fuming because it's been 1 hour 15 mins since the scheduled time and …I'm fuming because it's been 1 hour 15 mins since the scheduled time and they've not rang.

Brstrds!
Got a group interview tomorrow, what can I expect. I also need to bring an item that represents me but what!?
Something that is multi-purpose (represents you can flexibly adapt to the many needs of the job)
muti-headed screwdriver
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 13th Sep
Toptrumpet13/09/2019 20:34

Something that is multi-purpose (represents you can flexibly adapt to the …Something that is multi-purpose (represents you can flexibly adapt to the many needs of the job)muti-headed screwdriver

Ahh ok thats a very good idea
Did you pass?
Why do you want to work for Matalan?
Just thought of a fashion item that Matalan might sell.
Have you got a sarong you could take and demonstrate the 101 uses of a sarong, -from bedsheet, to dress, to over shoulder bag, to blanket on the beach etc
Uses for a sarong
Anyway, Good Luck.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 14th Sep
Toptrumpet14/09/2019 11:33

Just thought of a fashion item that Matalan might sell.Have you got a …Just thought of a fashion item that Matalan might sell.Have you got a sarong you could take and demonstrate the 101 uses of a sarong, -from bedsheet, to dress, to over shoulder bag, to blanket on the beach etcUses for a sarongAnyway, Good Luck.

Thanks very much! Just had the interview and it went well😄will get the answer of I got the job on monday/tuesday
deals6914/09/2019 11:56

Thanks very much! Just had the interview and it went well😄will get the …Thanks very much! Just had the interview and it went well😄will get the answer of I got the job on monday/tuesday

What did you take with you in the end?
Toptrumpet14/09/2019 12:27

What did you take with you in the end?

I took a stress ball to show that I do not break under any stress however, they didnt do that part of the interview so I was very relieved
After all that, Jeesh.
Did you have to do a role play or something then?
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 14th Sep
Got given a hair brush and placed in a group of 3. Had to create an alternate creative use for it.
What did you come up with?
Toptrumpet14/09/2019 12:39

What did you come up with?

The team together decided the bristles could be used as spikes and shot out to use as a self defence weapon
Ok that’s a tough challenge at a moment’s notice.
Let us know how you get on.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants