Groups

Phone line tax closes Feb 27

PHONE TAX - This WILL effect YOU !!!

THIS IS NOT A JOKE: If you agree please register and pass on to as many people as you can. It is legitimate.

If you disagree to the Governments 50p per month Phone Line Tax that is to be become law this year please fill in the form on the link below. You have until 27th February so act fast.

Even if you don't use your land line you will still be taxed, if you have multiple lines going into your property you will be taxed 50p per week for each line. The more people that complain the better chance of having it scrapped.

Pass this on to all your contacts.

More details from petition creator

I request that the Government scraps any plans to add 50p a month tax to phone lines to subsidise further broadband roll out. It is wholly unfair to tax my phone line to pay for someone else's broadband, and it is as simple as that. It is recognised that rural areas do suffer a slower connection and higher costs, but they have fantastic views, clean air and a safer environment - its a choice people have to live in the country - and a decision they take. Please see sense, and stop this poll tax - broadband is not a vital service.

Deadline to sign up by: 27 February 2010

petitions.number10.gov.uk/scr…ax/

44 Comments

Banned

What a complete joke, another tax! Got my vote!
    Cheers

Online petitions aren't worth the paper they're printed on!

So is it per week or per month, you've typed both?

UPDATE: Just checked, it's 50p PER MONTH (plus VAT) not per week, you might want to adjust your post to reflect this.

So that's less than 2p a day to help introduce superfast broadband networks, what a bargain! Tools like you who just **** off everything the government do, WITHOUT OFFERING AN ALTERNATIVE, are a plague on society.

Original Poster

So you think insulting people for their views is the way to go !! I don't actually think EVERYTHING the government does is wrong. I just think we are taxed for everything we do and its up to the eyeballs. I take it you are not a pensioner ?? just try keeping up with all the taxes on a pension. oh and by the way I didn't type up the post I cut and pasted it, but I have amended it I am sure it gave you pleasure for pointing it out.

Banned

I agree with this tax, and am happy to pay.

It's 50p a month! Get over it!

Banned

vibeone;7774615

I agree with this tax, and am happy to pay.

Ditto. I would even pay a significant amount if it meant i got a better internet connection. I say everyone who has an internet connection or who gets one in the next few years pays a one off £100 tax!

Banned

Trickyjabs;7774368

So is it per week or per month, you've typed both?UPDATE: Just checked, … So is it per week or per month, you've typed both?UPDATE: Just checked, it's 50p PER MONTH (plus VAT) not per week, you might want to adjust your post to reflect this.

Problem I have is once it's brought in and the broadband network installed they'll call it a fee to maintain the network :x

Original Poster

This is interesting, now tell me all of you who are pensioners that agree ?? please. Nobody minds paying a tax, this is my point when you get everything you pay for. Most of the time you don't get what you pay for and then increases are behind these things. Once anything is in place increases follow. take the congestion charge for instance. More than doubled even though businesses are sufferering because of it. I have been here long enough to not trust all that is being said.

It's a stupid tax, like viper says pensioners and people with no interest in broadband will be taxed to fund something they will never use. The tax is only levied on phonelines, so people with cable broadband but no phoneline will escape (they could use a voip provider for calls). If it is implemented it should be a tax on broadband connections be it mobile, cable or adsl.

Banned

We pay enough tax as it is. Do you think uk roads are in good condition?? You honestly think this 50p tax will be used for what they say? Honestly.

Banned

Viper + paddy spot on

Banned

vibeone;7774615

I agree with this tax, and am happy to pay.It's 50p a month! Get over it!

So you want little old ladies who's only means to the outside world is their telephone, subsidise your internet connection, despite the fact they don't have, nor ever will have broadband?

Just wow.

guv;7775092

So you want little old ladies who's only means to the outside world is … So you want little old ladies who's only means to the outside world is their telephone, subsidise your internet connection, despite the fact they don't have, nor ever will have broadband?Just wow.

I haven't been in hospital at all, or had to go to the doctors in my entire working life so far (touch wood) Therefore i have been paying for a service i haven't used either... A service im sure that the elderly have got alot more use out of than i have.

Now i know its more like an insurance policy and i'm glad awe have and am happy to pay for the NHS, but the point remains Valid.

Its a very small tax for an infrastructure improvement. Stupid petition.

Banned

Jetpac;7775228

I haven't been in hospital at all, or had to go to the doctors in my … I haven't been in hospital at all, or had to go to the doctors in my entire working life so far (touch wood) Therefore i have been paying for a service i haven't used either... A service im sure that the elderly have got alot more use out of than i have..

You had a home birth without a midwife? sweet jesus it explains a lot :w00t:

Jetpac;7775228

I haven't been in hospital at all, or had to go to the doctors in my … I haven't been in hospital at all, or had to go to the doctors in my entire working life so far (touch wood) Therefore i have been paying for a service i haven't used either... A service im sure that the elderly have got alot more use out of than i have.Now i know its more like an insurance policy and i'm glad awe have and am happy to pay for the NHS, but the point remains Valid.Its a very small tax for an infrastructure improvement. Stupid petition.

But surely it should be broadband connections that pay the extra 50p and not phonelines.

Original Poster

dav1d_uk;7774956

We pay enough tax as it is. Do you think uk roads are in good condition?? … We pay enough tax as it is. Do you think uk roads are in good condition?? You honestly think this 50p tax will be used for what they say? Honestly.

My point exactly thank you, its just ANOTHER tax no matter what the disguise is. :thumbsup:

Banned

cant wait for the day they start taxing fresh air.

I don't want the BBC but i am forced to pay for, it for those that do. I sure all those old dears that get a free TV Licence appreciate me for that. I'll swap them my £11 tax for there 50p one

Its just another way for the goverment to claw black the billions they have wasted and it will be the 1st of many

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture;7774943

It's a stupid tax, like viper says pensioners and people with no interest … It's a stupid tax, like viper says pensioners and people with no interest in broadband will be taxed to fund something they will never use. The tax is only levied on phonelines, so people with cable broadband but no phoneline will escape (they could use a voip provider for calls). If it is implemented it should be a tax on broadband connections be it mobile, cable or adsl.

Pensioners receive tax money to keep them alive so that they can leach off the system.

This tax will improve the country's infrastructure and make us more competitive in business and hopefully reduce costs throughout the system in the long run.

As taxes go, it's one of the better ones.

lumoruk;7775250

You had a home birth without a midwife? sweet jesus it explains a lot … You had a home birth without a midwife? sweet jesus it explains a lot :w00t:

You need to read before you post.
    I said in my Entire WORKING life as in the time i have actively been paying tax to support such services.

Banned

Jetpac;7775543

You need to read before you post.I said in my Entire WORKING life as in … You need to read before you post.I said in my Entire WORKING life as in the time i have actively been paying tax to support such services.

nah doctors and a hospital are two separate buildings

May i just add as well. pensioners get extra benefits from the tax system that others do not.
    Think Thermal allowances and bus passes. i would love a free bus pass wouldnt you?

WHY SHOULD I PAY FOR THEIR BUS PASSES AND HEATING?
    I'M GOING TO START A PETITION.

FilthAndFurry;7775447

Pensioners receive tax money to keep them alive so that they can leach … Pensioners receive tax money to keep them alive so that they can leach off the system.This tax will improve the country's infrastructure and make us more competitive in business and hopefully reduce costs throughout the system in the long run.As taxes go, it's one of the better ones.

some of who fought to keep you alive troll

viper;7774524

So you think insulting people for their views is the way to go !! I don't … So you think insulting people for their views is the way to go !! I don't actually think EVERYTHING the government does is wrong. I just think we are taxed for everything we do and its up to the eyeballs. I take it you are not a pensioner ?? just try keeping up with all the taxes on a pension. oh and by the way I didn't type up the post I cut and pasted it, but I have amended it I am sure it gave you pleasure for pointing it out.

viper;7774816

This is intresting, now tell me all of you who are pensioners that agree … This is intresting, now tell me all of you who are pensioners that agree ?? please. Nobody minds paying a tax, this is my point when you get everything you pay for. Most of the time you don't get what you pay for and then increases are behind these things. Once anything is in place increases follow. take the congestion charge for instance. More than doubled even though businesses are sufferering because of it. I have been here long enough to not trust all that is being said.

Interesting you mention pensioners, considering they are by far and away the biggest burden on the government and the rest of the nation! :-D How about enforced euthanasia at the age of 65, that would end all of this countries financial problems in one swoop.

Pensioners still receive ABOVE inflation increases in their pension, while most working people are having to deal with pay freezes or even reduced hours/income. To moan about a £7 a year tax introduction (that will benefit the whole country, making us a more competitive and prosperous nation) when you are being given £5000+ a year for watching Countdown, eating boiled sweets and keeping cats is frankly ludicrous.

Trickyjabs;7775792

Interesting you mention pensioners, considering they are by far and away … Interesting you mention pensioners, considering they are by far and away the biggest burden on the government and the rest of the nation! :-D How about enforced euthanasia at the age of 65, that would end all of this countries financial problems in one swoop.Pensioners still receive ABOVE inflation increases in their pension, while most working people are having to deal with pay freezes or even reduced hours/income. To moan about a £7 a year tax introduction (that will benefit the whole country, making us a more competitive and prosperous nation) when you are being given £5000+ a year for watching Countdown, eating boiled sweets and keeping cats is frankly ludicrous.

On your planet do you have 14 months in a year?

Original Poster

Jetpac;7775632

May i just add as well. pensioners get extra benefits from the tax system … May i just add as well. pensioners get extra benefits from the tax system that others do not.Think Thermal allowances and bus passes. i would love a free bus pass wouldnt you?WHY SHOULD I PAY FOR THEIR BUS PASSES AND HEATING?I'M GOING TO START A PETITION.

Oh dear this is a whole new subject, I would love to reply to this one but it will open a can of worms so I had better not.

Banned

boothy;7775791

some of who fought to keep you alive troll

Many of whom didn't as well. Move on:thumbsup:

The irony of someone who supports Nazis then using the memory of veterans as an argument elsewhere might be distasteful to some.

I just think it's quite pathetic.

Banned

Trickyjabs;7775792

Interesting you mention pensioners, considering they are by far and away … Interesting you mention pensioners, considering they are by far and away the biggest burden on the government and the rest of the nation! :-D How about enforced euthanasia at the age of 65, that would end all of this countries financial problems in one swoop.Pensioners still receive ABOVE inflation increases in their pension, while most working people are having to deal with pay freezes or even reduced hours/income. To moan about a £7 a year tax introduction (that will benefit the whole country, making us a more competitive and prosperous nation) when you are being given £5000+ a year for watching Countdown, eating boiled sweets and keeping cats is frankly ludicrous.

So true.

Trickyjabs;7775792

+2

Paddy_o_furniture;7775808

On your planet do you have 14 months in a year?

What are you questioning, the £5000?

Standard pension £95.25pw * 52.14weeks = £4966. plus pension credits, cold weather payments, bus passes, free prescriptions, 10% off fish and chips on a Wednesday, etc, etc, etc.

FilthAndFurry;7775853

Many of whom didn't as well. Move on:thumbsup:The irony of someone who … Many of whom didn't as well. Move on:thumbsup:The irony of someone who supports Nazis then using the memory of veterans as an argument elsewhere might be distasteful to some.I just think it's quite pathetic.

This, boothy = hypocrite.

Banned

guv;7775092

So you want little old ladies who's only means to the outside world is … So you want little old ladies who's only means to the outside world is their telephone, subsidise your internet connection, despite the fact they don't have, nor ever will have broadband?Just wow.

Yes thats right.

Or more specifically, I couldn't care less about 50p a month. I feel sorry for those that consider this 50p a big issue.

I wouldn't care if Gordon Brown wanted 50p off me for a big booze up to be frank.

Trickyjabs;7775947

What are you questioning, the £5000?Standard pension £95.25pw * 5 … What are you questioning, the £5000?Standard pension £95.25pw * 52.14weeks = £4966. plus pension credits, cold weather payments, bus passes, free prescriptions, 10% off fish and chips on a Wednesday, etc, etc, etc.This, boothy = hypocrite.

No £0.5 tax X 12 months = £7 by your reckoning

It's 50p a month now, but what will this become, once it's established? What's to stop it rising to £1, £2, £5, when the government realise they need a bit more money.

Take Road Tax, it was nice and simple, one price for over 1.5 litre and another price for below. Now they've changed it, it can be up to £500 for some! The TV License seemed good value for money when it was introduced, there only being 2 channels, both BBC. Now there's many hundreds of channels, but people are still being charged a high amount for 2 channels.

So beware, once it's in place, it's too late.

Paddy_o_furniture;7776006

No £0.5 tax X 12 months = £7 by your reckoning

PLUS VAT donk!!! £7.05.

Trickyjabs;7776794

PLUS VAT donk!!! £7.05.

Why would you get charged a further tax on top of a tax? donk!!!!

Banned

peodude;7776560

It's 50p a month now, but what will this become, once it's established? … It's 50p a month now, but what will this become, once it's established? What's to stop it rising to £1, £2, £5, when the government realise they need a bit more money.Take Road Tax, it was nice and simple, one price for over 1.5 litre and another price for below. Now they've changed it, it can be up to £500 for some! The TV License seemed good value for money when it was introduced, there only being 2 channels, both BBC. Now there's many hundreds of channels, but people are still being charged a high amount for 2 channels.So beware, once it's in place, it's too late.

Well that's not true.

FilthAndFurry;7777060

Well that's not true.

DSO is not completed till 2012. :thumbsup:

Banned

peodude;7777436

DSO is not completed till 2012. :thumbsup:

Granted, but you've also got the radio stations, the website and the news service.

The BBC has some massive problems and wastes some money, but the website and news services are unmatched in some ways.

Banned

FilthAndFurry;7777546

Granted, but you've also got the radio stations, the website and the news … Granted, but you've also got the radio stations, the website and the news service.The BBC has some massive problems and wastes some money, but the website and news services are unmatched in some ways.

I guarantee radio will not be switching to DAB as we currently know it.

Paddy_o_furniture;7776808

Why would you get charged a further tax on top of a tax? donk!!!!

Unlike you, I read up on the topic:

ispreview.co.uk/sto…tml

The UK Labour governments chancellor, Alistair Darling, has used his pre-budget report today to green light the controversial £0.50p (+vat) per month tax - Next Generation Fund - on all fixed phone lines to help develop future superfast broadband networks. Darling hopes the levy, which should raise around £175m per year, will help next gen broadband services reach 90% of the UK by the end of 2017.

[SIZE="4"]You DONKIUS MAXIMUS!![/SIZE]
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News45
      2. PlayStation Hacked Again?33
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?33193
      4. Now TV CODES - Free Sky Entertainment/Kids/Cinema/Sports1020

See more discussions