Expired

Phone lost and barred/blocked but found again - will Apple replace?

Found 7th Dec 2014
I lost my phone (iPhone 5S) and had it blocked but have just found it 2 months later! EE said there's nothing they can do - it's blocked, that's it but I've heard that Apple will replace these phones yet that sounds too good to be true?! Could someone confirm whether this is the case and if so, what evidence do I need to provide that the phone is mine? Do I just walk in, tell them the situ and ask for a replacement?! I'm using an HTC now which I far prefer (no phone arguments please!) but as the 5S wasn't exactly cheap, it'd be great to get a replacement to at least sell and recoup the cost of the HTC!
Thanks!

11 Comments

I was sure the service provider could unblock the phones if found. The only reason I could see for them not unblocking the phone is if you claimed via their insurance?

Original Poster

krystaltips1

I was sure the service provider could unblock the phones if found. The … I was sure the service provider could unblock the phones if found. The only reason I could see for them not unblocking the phone is if you claimed via their insurance?

Nope, no insurance. They just said it was barred and that was it. They said something at the time about it being irreversible - although this is EE and they do tend to talk out their ass!!

As krystaltips1 has said, if you've claimed via insurance the phone no longer belongs to you so will not be unblocked by anyone. It rightfully belongs to the insurance company. However, if you have not claimed on the insurance then EE are completely wrong and they can request Apple to unblock/unbar the phone. Either they are too lazy or too stupid if they say it can't be done. It requires an update on the Apple servers and the GSM IMEI Database.

incrediblezhang

Nope, no insurance. They just said it was barred and that was it. They … Nope, no insurance. They just said it was barred and that was it. They said something at the time about it being irreversible - although this is EE and they do tend to talk out their ass!!

Put it in writing to their CEO, EE have no right to insist it is blocked for good. They can charge you a reasonable fee (probably about £10/£20) for their administration cost BUT they have to unbar the phone if ti was purchased from them.

We will be blocked for good for ever and ever and ever and ever!

Write to who you like they never unblock them as you could be the tricksy fraudster

The only way they will not unbar the device is if the device has been claimed against an insurance policy or the handset is not yours. By "yours" i mean it has to be on contract in your name. or pay as you go with proof of purchase. If you buy a second hand phone and its on contract and you bar the IMEI they will not unbar it unless your the account holder has there is no way to confirm its your phone.

I cant see why they would replace the phone? wouldnt that be an easy option if someone wanted a phone replaced, claim as lost then find and get it swapped? unblocking I can see why you would want to, but surely would need to have proof of purchase?

do you have any cheap second hand phone shop near you the unlocked and my friends phone when that happened to her

help1881

do you have any cheap second hand phone shop near you the unlocked and my … do you have any cheap second hand phone shop near you the unlocked and my friends phone when that happened to her

We're talking about blacklisting not phone unlocking.

EE can and should remove the listing from the blacklist.

It's a simple job that takes someone about a minute (I know, it used to be one of my jobs when I worked there).
You need to get one of the guys on the front line to raise an action to which ever dept deals with it these days. If they say they can't ask to talk to a supervisor.
Edited by: "steve1221" 7th Dec 2014

Good Question. Learnt fom answers.

I had the same thing happen to me was a nexus 5 on t mobile and spoke to then and the phone was opened within 24 hours. I usually find its who you speak too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants