Phone purchase from private domestic seller..

Found 14th Jan
Hi,

I'm interested in purchasing an expensive phone from someone off ebay but privately paying cash on collection and would like to know if the original purchaser bought the phone on contract and didn't comply with the contract conditions or didn't pau the bill can the phone company block the phone?

The phone is sealed and I'm told I'll get the original Vodafone paperwork that came with it.... But its lots of 450 and I'd like to feel conformable that phone won't get blocked or that I get scammed!
Community Updates
AskPhones
13 Comments
Yes the phone can be blocked, judge it by the seller's rep but it's a common scam to pay for the phone contract for a few months then either stop paying (mostly only if contract taken with stolen credentials, they won't destroy their own credit) or report the phone stolen.
Original Poster
The seller has good feedback on eBay (700+)...99% positive but the problem is I'm paying cash on collection
mchu6am44 m ago

The seller has good feedback on eBay (700+)...99% positive but the problem …The seller has good feedback on eBay (700+)...99% positive but the problem is I'm paying cash on collection

If they have a lot of history of selling high value items then it'll be fine, if it was a 1 feedbacker selling an iPhone X cheaply then I'd steer well clear.

Use your own judgement, most aren't out to scam, it's just a small amount of people that spoil it.
mchu6am44 m ago

The seller has good feedback on eBay (700+)...99% positive but the problem …The seller has good feedback on eBay (700+)...99% positive but the problem is I'm paying cash on collection

You would be buying outside of eBay, therefore no protection.
Avoid, as a good chance you will lose out in the long run
Original Poster
If the phone is free under the contract then technically they should not block it if they stopped paying?
Edited by: "mchu6am4" 14th Jan
mchu6am420 m ago

If the phone is free under the contract then technically they should not …If the phone is free under the contract then technically they should not block it if they stopped paying?

They do on occasion, I think it belongs to the network for around half of the contracted months, then it becomes your property.
Is it worth the risk? I'd say no.
High value goods and eBay don't go together.

If the phone is £50 higher from a company, I'd rather pay the extra for peace of mind.
Original Poster
Done now hope was worth the risk.... Seemed like a genuine guy, had the original delivery envelope and receipt with imei number and name and address.... Phone is still sealed in the cling film.... Gave me a signed handwritten receipt...
mchu6am440 m ago

Done now hope was worth the risk.... Seemed like a genuine guy, had the …Done now hope was worth the risk.... Seemed like a genuine guy, had the original delivery envelope and receipt with imei number and name and address.... Phone is still sealed in the cling film.... Gave me a signed handwritten receipt...

Idiot. I'd have paid paypal. To eager to get a phone.
Original Poster
oliverkennedy102 h, 56 m ago

I hope I don't have to call myself that name!
oliverkennedy1010 h, 2 m ago

Calm down, most people wouldn't have accepted PayPal as they can get scammed.
Edited by: "snoopy18" 15th Jan
Original Poster
I did try to do as much to protect myself, went to his house, got the original delivery envelope and delivery receipt with all the person and phone details, got a handwritten signed receipt etc and he's got pretty decent ebay feedback...

Saved nearly £200 than if i purchased from a retailer and probably £100 if i purchased from another eBay seller through eBay /PayPal...
He don’t pay or reports it stolen and gets a new phone and keeps £450 ! Biggest scam going

you have a £450 paper weight

Risk of buying if fleabay
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants