Phone screen damaged & selling phone - can I get it fixed & sell to music magpie etc?

Found 22nd Nov 2017
My mobile phone screen smashed - weirdly with no force on it at all, it simply cracked of its own accord (trust me, I'm more baffled than you are as it sounds entirely improbable but it was on the side and nothing touched it, and 5 mins later it was cracked!).

The phone works despite the cracked screen - even the screen etc. works fine.

I want to sell the phone and put the money towards a new phone.

The phone is an iPhone 6s, and musicmagie pay £215 for a good condition one but £86 for a damaged one.

Is is ok to spend £69.99 or so getting the screen fixed by a 3rd party (imend.com or similar) and then sell it to musicmagpie etc or does the screen have to be genuine apple when selling phones to these types of places?
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
They wouldn't know if it was a genuine part or not.
Music magpie are notorious for downgrading perfect goods down to grade B so don't bank on getting £215 after a repair
You'd get more selling privately. Even with the screen cracked.
The non-apple repairs are inferior - the screen are too thick and do not fit the phone very well.
You'd be better going to CeX rather than music magpie.

If music magpie don't accept your phone they will charge you to have it back, CeX will send it back free with 48 tracked delivery.

I agree with @hearts22 though, people will buy it with a broken screen, you got clever clogs out there who salvage parts.
Bigfootpete3 h, 16 m ago

The non-apple repairs are inferior - the screen are too thick and do not …The non-apple repairs are inferior - the screen are too thick and do not fit the phone very well.

If you buy rubbish you get rubbish, pay a bit more and the non-genuine ones are as good. Most are made in the same factories.
hearts224 h, 38 m ago

You'd get more selling privately. Even with the screen cracked.

I was wanting to avoid Ebay at all costs as I can’t afford for the sale to go wrong and eBay is full of scammers.

I guess i could try gumtree and sphock but I live in the countryside and finding someone local who wants a phone with a cracked screen might be easier said than done.

master1030 m ago

If you buy rubbish you get rubbish, pay a bit more and the non-genuine …If you buy rubbish you get rubbish, pay a bit more and the non-genuine ones are as good. Most are made in the same factories.

I was going to buy the screen literally just for selling it.
Robot_Rooster2 h, 32 m ago

You'd be better going to CeX rather than music magpie. If music magpie …You'd be better going to CeX rather than music magpie. If music magpie don't accept your phone they will charge you to have it back, CeX will send it back free with 48 tracked delivery.I agree with @hearts22 though, people will buy it with a broken screen, you got clever clogs out there who salvage parts.

Thanks. I’d forgotten about CEX, I’d just used a mobile selling comparison site and musicmaglie came up I think about 4th highest but some of the others were new companies I’d never heard of and only had about 200 truatpilot reviews so I wanted to avoid them.
Thank you everyone for your advice, it’s much appreciated and given me things to think about
If you are going to sell it, I wouldn't spend any money on it. I would just flog it and get a new phone. I just send mine off to mazuma. They are not the best price, but they pay quickly and they are reliable.
Edited by: "mutley1" 22nd Nov 2017
mutley118 m ago

If you are going to sell it, I wouldn't spend any money on it. I would …If you are going to sell it, I wouldn't spend any money on it. I would just flog it and get a new phone. I just send mine off to mazuma. They are not the best price, but they pay quickly and they are reliable.

The price for a damaged phone is about £86, for a working phone it’s £215.

Therefore it seems to make sense to spend £70 fixing the screen and then selling it.

I’ll have a look at selling it as is, but I am loathe to pop it on eBay and have someone scam me.
sicklysweet7 m ago

The price for a damaged phone is about £86, for a working phone it’s £215. …The price for a damaged phone is about £86, for a working phone it’s £215. Therefore it seems to make sense to spend £70 fixing the screen and then selling it. I’ll have a look at selling it as is, but I am loathe to pop it on eBay and have someone scam me.

But you are not guaranteed to get that money once you have paid for it to be repaired? I would not risk spending money on repairs in the hope of getting more for it. Repair it if you want to keep it, but not to sell it.
If it's cracked on its own accord then the battery is probably swelling, they're notorious for breaking the screens. If it's a battery swelling fault then apple might repair it for free even if it's slightly out of warranty. If you have it repaired then battery will probably need replacing too. Problem is Apple won't sell OEM parts and replacements are hit and miss.
sicklysweet4 h, 37 m ago

I was wanting to avoid Ebay at all costs as I can’t afford for the sale to …I was wanting to avoid Ebay at all costs as I can’t afford for the sale to go wrong and eBay is full of scammers. I guess i could try gumtree and sphock but I live in the countryside and finding someone local who wants a phone with a cracked screen might be easier said than done. I was going to buy the screen literally just for selling it. Thanks. I’d forgotten about CEX, I’d just used a mobile selling comparison site and musicmaglie came up I think about 4th highest but some of the others were new companies I’d never heard of and only had about 200 truatpilot reviews so I wanted to avoid them.

What about FB groups?
sicklysweet3 h, 39 m ago

The price for a damaged phone is about £86, for a working phone it’s £215. …The price for a damaged phone is about £86, for a working phone it’s £215. Therefore it seems to make sense to spend £70 fixing the screen and then selling it. I’ll have a look at selling it as is, but I am loathe to pop it on eBay and have someone scam me.

I think Touch ID won't work after a screen replacement by a third party... they usually don't bother moving the whole Touch ID assembly as it's much easier to just get a full screen assembly and put it in the phone. it's a 5 minutes job that way.

You would still have some form of damage to the phone.
hearts221 h, 15 m ago

I think Touch ID won't work after a screen replacement by a third party... …I think Touch ID won't work after a screen replacement by a third party... they usually don't bother moving the whole Touch ID assembly as it's much easier to just get a full screen assembly and put it in the phone. it's a 5 minutes job that way. You would still have some form of damage to the phone.

Even when transferring the touch ID components touch ID sometimes won't work. Apple seem to know they're replacement screens. Changed my daughters screen several times and touch ID only worked until update etc.
i suppose you have to consider ebay/paypal fees if you're going to sell there but as you've said, there is a lot of scammers on it. If that is the route you plan on going down, fully explain all faults with the phone and put up a good few pictures, only sell to buyers with high feedback and in the UK.

If advertising on gumtree, don't post the phone, only have buyers collect the phone and when you're given money, check the notes with a note checker pen as there's plenty of scammers locally too!!

Anyone asking about the phone will ask for the IMEI, this is normally to check the iCloud status of the phone (Find my iPhone), if it's still attached to your apple iCloud then the new owner cannot use it and would have to rely on you removing it from your account (so better to remove it prior).

If it were me, i would get the screen replaced but £70 is expensive for it to be replaced, apple charge £80 which maintains the integrity of the phone, also, as previously stated, if apple find that the battery is at fault they will replace both the battery and screen for free.

Personally i would purchase a new screen and change it myself, probably about £20-25 for the screen and if done properly, without damaging the home button fingerprint sensor, the touch id will work perfectly (i've done a few her the years)

If you need any further info let me know......
.MUFC.8 h, 17 m ago

If it's cracked on its own accord then the battery is probably swelling, …If it's cracked on its own accord then the battery is probably swelling, they're notorious for breaking the screens. If it's a battery swelling fault then apple might repair it for free even if it's slightly out of warranty. If you have it repaired then battery will probably need replacing too. Problem is Apple won't sell OEM parts and replacements are hit and miss.

I was thinking of contacting apple. The crack emanated from the weirdest place; to the left of the home button.

I just haven’t had the energy for a fight with them as I know it’s not in warranty but I do think I should get it fixed for free as it was nothing I did at all! I have people who saw me put it intact on the kitchen side and 5 mins later it was cracked and it was exactly where I’d left it.
hearts225 h, 26 m ago

I think Touch ID won't work after a screen replacement by a third party... …I think Touch ID won't work after a screen replacement by a third party... they usually don't bother moving the whole Touch ID assembly as it's much easier to just get a full screen assembly and put it in the phone. it's a 5 minutes job that way. You would still have some form of damage to the phone.

I didn’t realise that.

I wouldnt want want someone to buy it secondhand from a shop and it not to work perfectly.

The phone has been really well looked after, it’s always had a screen protector on and been in an apple case. It’s never been dropped or got wet or anything at all.

Ive never had a phone stolen or damaged before this; not bad for 15+ years of owning a phone! And this 100% wasn’t my fault!
bikerjodie22 m ago

i suppose you have to consider ebay/paypal fees if you're going to sell …i suppose you have to consider ebay/paypal fees if you're going to sell there but as you've said, there is a lot of scammers on it. If that is the route you plan on going down, fully explain all faults with the phone and put up a good few pictures, only sell to buyers with high feedback and in the UK. If advertising on gumtree, don't post the phone, only have buyers collect the phone and when you're given money, check the notes with a note checker pen as there's plenty of scammers locally too!!Anyone asking about the phone will ask for the IMEI, this is normally to check the iCloud status of the phone (Find my iPhone), if it's still attached to your apple iCloud then the new owner cannot use it and would have to rely on you removing it from your account (so better to remove it prior).If it were me, i would get the screen replaced but £70 is expensive for it to be replaced, apple charge £80 which maintains the integrity of the phone, also, as previously stated, if apple find that the battery is at fault they will replace both the battery and screen for free.Personally i would purchase a new screen and change it myself, probably about £20-25 for the screen and if done properly, without damaging the home button fingerprint sensor, the touch id will work perfectly (i've done a few her the years)If you need any further info let me know......

Thanks for all the advice.

Ive had 6 quotes for iPhone 6s screens and £70 was the cheapest. The highest ones were £125 for genuine apple parts but not apple themselves.

I’ve looked up the process of replacing it online and I don’t have steady hands (medical problems so a bit shaky) and thus don’t feel comfortable doing it myself.
sicklysweet1 h, 35 m ago

I didn’t realise that. I wouldnt want want someone to buy it secondhand f …I didn’t realise that. I wouldnt want want someone to buy it secondhand from a shop and it not to work perfectly.The phone has been really well looked after, it’s always had a screen protector on and been in an apple case. It’s never been dropped or got wet or anything at all. Ive never had a phone stolen or damaged before this; not bad for 15+ years of owning a phone! And this 100% wasn’t my fault!

Check on the Apple website if there are any free repair programs for your model.

You check by serial number and there might be something regarding a faulty battery recall in there... you might argue with them that a swollen battery cracked the screen and have that replaced for free as well.

I had a 6 Plus that qualified for a free camera replacement and when they opened it to replace the camera free of charge, touch disease (basically a problem some models had were the touch input would stop working) was cured for a few months after that (came back sadly and so I sold the phone for around the same price I had gotten it on eBay for )...
hearts2222 m ago

Check on the Apple website if there are any free repair programs for your …Check on the Apple website if there are any free repair programs for your model. You check by serial number and there might be something regarding a faulty battery recall in there... you might argue with them that a swollen battery cracked the screen and have that replaced for free as well. I had a 6 Plus that qualified for a free camera replacement and when they opened it to replace the camera free of charge, touch disease (basically a problem some models had were the touch input would stop working) was cured for a few months after that (came back sadly and so I sold the phone for around the same price I had gotten it on eBay for )...

Gosh, thank you for that.
I’ll google it now!!
Your help is much appreciated
sicklysweet2 m ago

Gosh, thank you for that. I’ll google it now!!Your help is much a …Gosh, thank you for that. I’ll google it now!!Your help is much appreciated

Good luck
hearts227 m ago

Good luck

Seems it’s not eligible.

32516599-TDOsO.jpg

I’ll still call them. I can say with absolute honesty that I did nothing to cause this issue and it was genuinely on the kitchen surface and untouched for 5 mins - and still in the exact same position I left it - when it went from ok to cracked screen. its such a weird place for the screen to crack too which may go in my favour.

ill update the thread when I get around to contacting apple, but tomorrow I’ve got to battle with the manufacturers of my boiler as it’s leaking water and there’s a big issue over whether it’s a 2 or 5 year warranty. I only have the energy for one battle at a time (hence thinking about the easy option of selling the phone, either fixed or not).
Edited by: "sicklysweet" 22nd Nov 2017
sicklysweet9 h, 3 m ago

Seems it’s not eligible. [Image] I’ll still call them. I can say with abs …Seems it’s not eligible. [Image] I’ll still call them. I can say with absolute honesty that I did nothing to cause this issue and it was genuinely on the kitchen surface and untouched for 5 mins - and still in the exact same position I left it - when it went from ok to cracked screen. its such a weird place for the screen to crack too which may go in my favour. ill update the thread when I get around to contacting apple, but tomorrow I’ve got to battle with the manufacturers of my boiler as it’s leaking water and there’s a big issue over whether it’s a 2 or 5 year warranty. I only have the energy for one battle at a time (hence thinking about the easy option of selling the phone, either fixed or not).

That's a bummer!

If you have an Apple store nearby you can take it there and have it looked at for free (that at least!).
If there is a swollen battery they should really replace the cracked screen free of charge.
They will see there is no sign on the frame that it's been dropped etc.

Good luck with both battles
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants