Groups

Phone upgrade time [UPDATED]

Right folks (not a phone vs phone thread, i will decide that :P),

Im currently on orange (1000mins, Ulm Text + Data, £20 a month)
    Ive now been with them for three years and its time to upgrade (contract is up on the 15th Oct).

Im looking at either the Desire or the Galaxy S i think. What should be looking to get offered in terms of costs and lengths?

I mean im after the phone for free and no longer than an 18month contract to be honest, Ive just called up quickly to retentions and got offered:

600 mins, unlim texts + data (i dont use 1000 so 600 is fine) on a 2 year contract for 17.50 a month with the either phone costing me 150.... now to me that doesnt sound that great because of the cost of the phone and the 2 year contract.

What should i be looking for or are there any offers on anywhere i can use as leverage?

11 Comments

I upgraded with Orange yesterday. I got an 18 month contract with a Nokia 5230 phone. 400 mins, 800 texs and unnlinited landline. With a dongle thats got 500mb a month and free home broadband for £20 a month. The phone has unlimited internet use as well.

I was happy with that deal. I think it depends on who you deal with at the time. I was offered a £17.50 a month deal but was told I would have to pay for the home broadband. This wasnt the case and I phoned again and told them what i was looking for eg basic phone and they built the package around what I wanted. Not on what they wanted to sell me.

Original Poster

sounds pretty good! i cant get orange BB where i live and i dont think that i would use a dongle, im just after the phone at something reasonable :P

very complicated....the best deals are the new players tesco mobile and even giffgaff

firstly ask for the PAC code and say if you cant get a great deal you will go somewhere else
    every deal they give you say u want a great deal

dont get sucked into take this phone for 2yr etc start with the minutes / monthly£ and work the phone choices into the convo

Original Poster

TBH im not too fussed about minutes and texts (aslong as its atleast 300/500) I would just want the phone for free on an 18 month contract, paying the 20 i am or a bit lower... is that realistic?

Jetpac

TBH im not too fussed about minutes and texts (aslong as its atleast … TBH im not too fussed about minutes and texts (aslong as its atleast 300/500) I would just want the phone for free on an 18 month contract, paying the 20 i am or a bit lower... is that realistic?

If its a top of the range phone the wont give it to you for free. In my experience they tend not to charge for the phones if you take out a £30 or £35 package. You have better luck on the high street going from store to store. good luck.

Original Poster

leecroot

If its a top of the range phone the wont give it to you for free. In my … If its a top of the range phone the wont give it to you for free. In my experience they tend not to charge for the phones if you take out a £30 or £35 package. You have better luck on the high street going from store to store. good luck.

It would be going through retentions (i have now been with Orange through 2 contract periods totalling 3 years) would this make a difference?

Jetpac

It would be going through retentions (i have now been with Orange through … It would be going through retentions (i have now been with Orange through 2 contract periods totalling 3 years) would this make a difference?

In my experience of dealing with them no. Ive been with them for 4 upgrades. I think the handsets are expensive and they want you on a higher tariff. Good luck and let us know how you get on. I wasnt expected to get such a good deal with mine.

i managed to get a galaxy apollo(pretty good phone)free,(orange upgrade)
    400 mins,unlimited texts and unlimited internet on 18 month contract for £10 a month which i thought was pretty good.
    think it does depend what phone you want though as was offered others for £15 a month.#
    hope you get a good deal

Original Poster

I was considering leaving and going for the San Francisco + the £10 tesco 500min +txt+data 1month rolling. I called up and asked to cancel and to get my pac code (and actually wanting to go through with it rather than trying for an offer)

and i got offered:

24 month contract
    200mins, unlim text, + 500mb data (which is adequete for my usage) for £15 a month (rather than 17.50 offer before and the £20 i am currently paying)
    with the desire or Galaxy S for £100 rather than the (£150 offered before)

£460 total cost for contract and Desire or Galaxy S
    vs
    £330 Total cost for the San francisco and Tesco rolling contract

What do you guys reckon?

Wait until the HTC Desire HD comes out in a couple of weeks, then wait a further 2-4 weeks for stock levels to settle.

You'll see HTC Desire price drop quite a bit with the networks, very much worth waiting.

Or you can pickup a HTC Desire HD..
    Edited by: "spritey" 29th Sep 2010

Original Poster

Contract is up on the 15th and the tesco offer ends on the 10th.
    It works out as an extra £5 a month to get a Desire (over getting the san francisco currently)

How quickly is the sanfrancisco going to "date" vs the additional cost of the desire do you reckon?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Fanta Snapcode for Filters and Lenses11
      2. What would be HELL to you?1920
      3. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***620
      4. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…1014

See more discussions