Groups

Photo licence picture renewals - another stealth tax?

I got a letter through today from the dvla saying I had to provide them with a new photo for my photocard licence as mine has expired... ok fine I guess people change although that pictures newer than the one in my passport. But anyway as well as providing them a new photo it seems I have to pay a £20 fee for the privellege? WTF!! How often are they going to cream this nice little earner off of all of us? I assume theres no way out of this apart from surrendering my licence? Dirty Pharquars!

14 Comments

You could always send them a similar photo to the original and say look no need to change it i still look the same!

When I passed it was outlined in the documents....so I guess if you dont want to pay the fee every so often then dont take the test in the first place.....:?

lil_tiger;5957275

When I passed it was outlined in the documents....so I guess if you dont … When I passed it was outlined in the documents....so I guess if you dont want to pay the fee every so often then dont take the test in the first place.....:?

Are you implying you don't know you need to pay the fee until you passed?

Original Poster

lil_tiger;5957275

When I passed it was outlined in the documents....so I guess if you dont … When I passed it was outlined in the documents....so I guess if you dont want to pay the fee every so often then dont take the test in the first place.....:?

Aha but when I took my test in 1987 there was no photo licence, only an etching in slate!

ghinzani;5957300

Aha but when I took my test in 1987 there was no photo licence, only an … Aha but when I took my test in 1987 there was no photo licence, only an etching in slate!

so you sholdn't be driving then as your knowledge of traffic lights must limited are you missing that man running along side the road controlling your speed?:w00t:

Just kidding.....big hugs!:p

Punkytiptop;5957292

Are you implying you don't know you need to pay the fee until you passed?

No, the info about passing the test etc said about it, because I knew about it and my dad didnt. (I read everything....degree in law teaches you some things :?)
    ghinzani;5957300

Aha but when I took my test in 1987 there was no photo licence, only an … Aha but when I took my test in 1987 there was no photo licence, only an etching in slate!

yup my dad was the same as you, he had to update his licence over xmas sometime. He argued with me hours saying he didnt need to update the pic because he hadn't agreed to the charges, but when he got the documents out that he signed (when his work wanted to give him a plastic licence) it was all in the small-print.
    Not saying yours will have been too....but will more than likely be in there somewhere

lil_tiger;5957331

No, the info about passing the test etc said about it, becaus I knew … No, the info about passing the test etc said about it, becaus I knew about it and my dad didnt.yup my dad was the same as you, he had to update his licence over xmas sometime. He argued with me hours saying he didnt need to update the pic because he hadn't agreed to the charges, but when he got the documents out that he signed (when his work wanted to give him a plastic licence) it was all in the small-print.Not saying yours will have been too....but will more than likely be in there somewhere

i was so excited about passing my test who cares about the small print! Once the novelty has gone then the fees came tax, MOT, insurance .......oh dear

but then again no way i'd give up my Focus ST3! :thumbsup:

ghinzani;5957300

Haha ! love it! The rules should be, after 22 years if you still look the same, you shouldn't have to pay.

I think you should upload the before and after pics, and we'll decide if you should have to pay it or not :thumbsup:

£20 isnt much unless you are a homeless person

you have to replace your photo every ten years until you are 70 then its free, only way to get it free is to move house

rosalie;5957833

you have to replace your photo every ten years until you are 70 then its … you have to replace your photo every ten years until you are 70 then its free, only way to get it free is to move house

i did the sums on this and i figured out its much cheaper and easier to pay the £20......but i could be wrong

Make sure you take a copy of both parts of your license as the DVLA have been sending them back with missing entitlements (mainly to ride motorbikes and HGV) and people have been having issues proving that they had them before. BBC watchdog program have been doing a lot about this over the last six months with people having to dig out their original pass certificates to prove that they can legally drive.

Had to do mine the other month, annoying, don't understand why they've changed it to a black and white photo?

That's unless I was reeealy pale that day.

robtallica;5959932

Had to do mine the other month, annoying, don't understand why they've … Had to do mine the other month, annoying, don't understand why they've changed it to a black and white photo?That's unless I was reeealy pale that day.

thats not going to be much use to me i have pink and blue hair lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73844453
      2. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1957
      3. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?24
      4. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value26

See more discussions