Photo Paper

Posted 25th Mar 2017
Having a nightmare printing photos at the moment. I've been using HP Everyday photo paper, and even tried the Kodak high rated stuff on Amazon, but still not getting high quality prints from my HP Envy 4507. There's tiny 'scanlines' going across the photos. Photos also never seem to dry and smudge the next day.

I'm tempted to pay more and go for the HP Advanced stuff. About £8 for a pack of 25 A4 sheets though. Is this likely to make a big difference?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Your printer is cheap and nasty. Just take get them printed at asda or some other place with decent kit.
kester76

Your printer is cheap and nasty. Just take get them printed at asda or … Your printer is cheap and nasty. Just take get them printed at asda or some other place with decent kit.

It's not cheap and nasty, it has produced good images in the past. I want to be able to print my own.
Are you using original hp cartridges or third party? Third party can clog things up in the printer head and take longer to dry. I haven't got the same printer but see if there's a head clean function in the printer software, do that a few times see if it improves.
Edited by: "stoneblade" 25th Mar 2017
stoneblade

Are you using original hp cartridges or third party? Third party can clog … Are you using original hp cartridges or third party? Third party can clog things up in the printer head and take longer to dry. I haven't got the same printer but see if there's a head clean function in the printer software, do that a few times see if it improves.

I use original genuine HP ink via Instant Ink. I have done a clean but no luck. I might use alcohol to clean the print heads, see if that helps.
Might be worth a go, hold off buying anymore paper though as the "scan lines" I wouldn't say is the quality of paper but more of a printer head issue. Has the printer been left for a while? They recommend printers to be used a couple a times a month to make sure the heads don't become blocked.
Is there head alignment as well as head cleaner?

I use 50p compatible ink in a cheapie Epson, using the cheapest photo paper and the quality is brilliant. Colour hasn't faded after 3-4 years stick in a frame on the wall.
I did a print test sheet and on the blocks of colour there are lines again, so it's possibly an issue with the printer maybe...
deleted1169072
You are still fighting with this printer? This must be your third post. Use the cheap Glass cleaner from Tesco. It and others like it are the best thing to clean a printer head.
Not a fan of the HP system, the combined head & ink means it's a rudimentary bubblejet head, with expensive originals or hit & miss refills, and the contacts are another source of potential missed jets.

The Epson and similar permanent heads use a better (piezo) mechanism, with ink not constrained by boiling point, no iffy contacts, cheaper tanks and very cheap compatibles for some, but leaving the printer too long can be a big problem, as unlike the HP system, you don't get a fresh head with the cartridge!
seems expensive printing at home if u ue that expensive paper maybe cheaper just print in bulk for online places with good quality aswell.
You don't seem to mention that you have selected the right paper type in the printer settings. So I would suggest starting there in case this has been missed. Apologies if you've already looked at this though.
kester76

Your printer is cheap and nasty. Just take get them printed at asda or … Your printer is cheap and nasty. Just take get them printed at asda or some other place with decent kit.

P?ss off
John Lewis have refunded me. So i now need a new printer. Any suggestions for around £80?
I always liked the hp printers as the ink cartridge had the printer head built in. Any troubles I could just swap cartridge. The problem is the cost of the all in one cartridges, but the benefits of quality printing I found was worth it. I'm out of touch with current printers though. See what others suggest as I think I'm in the market for a new one to.
Post a comment
@
    Text