Groups

Photo Session - Help please

Hey,

I'm looking to book a photo session with local company in Burton Upon Trent, as my son is turning 1.

I'm just looking to book a session where myself, wife and son are together.. Then also some of my son on his own.. Professionally done with a white background sort of thing.. Then i just want the images, nothing printed. As i'll print them myself for an album.

How much should i be looking to pay for something like that? As i know some companies can rip you a knew one.. So wanted to know what i should expect to pay for something like that. That way is someone says "5 million pounds" - i don't just assume that's the going rate.

Cheers

13 Comments

If you have an Olan Mills near you they are great and not a ban price to (have special offers on from time to time.

I had some of the family done there.

In my opinion it would be best to ask around and you can then honestly say "Well I've been offered it for..." and let them make a better offer

I have found that going to smaller photographers rather than big companies you will be able to haggle more for a better deal, especially if you are doing them with a child as they hope you will carry on using them as the child grows up.

Go into the shops if possible to see samples of their work and also see how they interact with the child, you want someone who is going to make your child feel at ease so that they will get the best possible photos.

Original Poster

muckyangel;8697356

If you have an Olan Mills near you they are great and not a ban price to … If you have an Olan Mills near you they are great and not a ban price to (have special offers on from time to time.I had some of the family done there.

Gone bankrupt

Original Poster

kelly_o_fanatic;8697360

In my opinion it would be best to ask around and you can then honestly … In my opinion it would be best to ask around and you can then honestly say "Well I've been offered it for..." and let them make a better offerI have found that going to smaller photographers rather than big companies you will be able to haggle more for a better deal, especially if you are doing them with a child as they hope you will carry on using them as the child grows up.Go into the shops if possible to see samples of their work and also see how they interact with the child, you want someone who is going to make your child feel at ease so that they will get the best possible photos.

Problem is i don't know what to haggle for, no idea what the price of something like i want would be. Wondered if somebody had done the same thing, or knows a bit about photography as i haven't got a clue.

And for all i know, the 2/3 companies i ring could all be rip off merchants hehe. As i've heard some right horror stories off people overpaying.

muckyangel;8697356

If you have an Olan Mills near you they are great and not a ban price to … If you have an Olan Mills near you they are great and not a ban price to (have special offers on from time to time.I had some of the family done there.

We stopped using them after they went bust and then reopened when vouchers bought just before they went bust (they called and sort of pressured us into it as we were planning on getting a set done soon, was about 2 days before they went bust!) had expired, and they wouldnt honour them! Loads of people had photos done, paid for copies and then couldnt collect them etc

That was what prompted us to look elsewhere and we now use a local photographer who is more reasonable, gets better photos (because he really puts everyone at ease) and will keep taking photos (no matter how long it takes at no extra cost) until he is happy that he has enough good ones to choose from. He is much more flexible about pricing and giving us copyright etc

Surprisingly, it's the copyright to the images that tends to cost most even though you're not actually getting anything physical to take away with you.

When I used to do portraits I used to charge £25 for the actual sitting and then charge £4 and upwards for prints. I never offered the copyright as an option to portraits, only weddings (for weddings I charge £150).

There is a company near me who charges £65 for the sitting and the copyright so that doesn't sound too bad.

We paid £50 for an hours session which included a 10 x 8 and a DVD. They would not hand over any other images as they are their copyright. Prints had to be through them. Have you managed to find someone who is happy to hand over the images?

spritey;8697370

Gone bankrupt

o sorry it was a few years age.

Banned

Have you thought about having a bash at it yourself? I do all the ones of my Son and my Nieces and I'm no pro though I do have a DSLR.

hellfire;8697393

We paid £50 for an hours session which included a 10 x 8 and a DVD. They … We paid £50 for an hours session which included a 10 x 8 and a DVD. They would not hand over any other images as they are their copyright. Prints had to be through them. Have you managed to find someone who is happy to hand over the images?

We recently paid £50 for a sitting (as long as it takes, get to choose from at least 30 photos - even if that means taking 130 to get 30 good ones) and 5 framed (just the carboard ones like school photos) 8x10s and also disc with all the photos (91) and copyright

my local max speilman has just started an offer £5.99, im gonna give them a try for that price.

Original Poster

Thanks for the reply guys

Seem to be hitting a brick wall with the photographers i'm contacting

All of them seem to only want to do a small set fee or say £25 for the sitting, then will only do prints and charge a fortune for them. Saying they can't give me the images due to copyright.

Frankly can't see a problem with me paying a larger set fee (£150-200), then for them to just give me all the images on a memory stick.

I could take my wife out for three very nice 3 course meals for that price, why i can't get images for an hour or so photo session for the same is beyond me.

My personal opinnion on these things with the missus being a photographer is you can by them silly money, and the quality of photos are boring.

I would look at a local person who will come to your home or a place of your choice and do natural photos. Everyone does these photos and they look crap.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3966
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020

See more discussions