PIA VPN - Private Internet Access being recognised

Found 22nd JanEdited by:"Uranus"
I took out a subscription with PIA based on feedback on this site.

Unfortunately, some sites seem to recognise that I'm using a VPN and I am therefore unable to get functionality from those sites.

For example, I was told that using a VPN would open up additional US content in Netflix. Unfortunately Netflix recognises I am using a VPN and tells me to turn it off.

So, is there a way of getting around this via PIA itself, or can anyone recommend some other VPN that will not be recognised by Netflix and others?
Or is it the case that Netflix and other sites will always keep up to date with the VPN providers in a cat & mouse game?
Community Updates
AskSoftware & Apps
4 Comments
there is literally no vpn that would byass netflix. few of them do that but its very intermittent
Try a dns. Not sure what device you're using but get a free weeks trial from smart dns and give that a go. Used to work but I haven't used Netflix since the ability to use a vpn was blocked so a dns might not work either. But give it a go. It was my only way to get geo locked content to work on my 1st gen fire TV when it very first launched.

They have full setup instructions for a number of devices on their site. Good luck
mattsk7 h, 58 m ago

there is literally no vpn that would byass netflix. few of them do that …there is literally no vpn that would byass netflix. few of them do that but its very intermittent

There are many VPN’s that bypass Netflix, you get one with a dedicated IP. The cheaper services run with shared IP’s that are easily found out.
torguard, tuvpn dedicated ip services to name a few!!
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 22nd Jan
Certain known IP addresses used by VPN services are blocked - most people know this. For unknown IP addresses, VPN traffic is usually sent on Port 1723. Consequently, detection of incoming traffic from Port 1723 can be blocked. Of course, port numbers can be changed so a secondary line of defence is employed which is to detect the packet structure of the data. Standard TCP/IP traffic follows certain protocols but for VPN, the data has to be wrapped inside an "outer package" and this is highly indicative of VPN data.

Another method of detecting VPN usage is that the browser sends geolocation data when requested by the server.

Of course, there are methods to circumvent all this but will require a skilled person a whole day to set up. The method of using OpenVPN to alter packet structures is no longer effective in masking VPN traffic so I wouldn't bother with that.
Edited by: "ElliottC" 23rd Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants