Picard on amazon what did you think of it?

Posted 22nd May
Star trek the next generation is still on tv today on many channels on sky and it is still brilliant to watch

114 SYFY two a day at 5pm and 6pm
317 Horror channel at 7pm
And it is on one more but I do not remember the channels name and of course it is on Netflix

Watching Picard one thing that strikes me is how horrible age is when you see him after a next generation episode and it gets us all

Any way have you seen Picard and what did you think to it?

Like or hate?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
It was utterly terrible, the writing was incredibly bad, relying on nostalgia yet written by people who don't even seem to have watched the series they're referencing (7 of 9 being a ruthless killer is a complete contradiction of her arc in Voyager, Data was close friends with La Forge, Picard just saw him as part of the crew).

The gore and swearing were completely out of place and made the show feel immature.

I'm not actually sure I can remember the last time I saw a TV series which made so many big mistakes. A character murders another important character, with close links to one crew member and... they just forgive and forget? There's a certain important Vulcan that literally disappears in the final episode and isn't mentioned again by any of the characters

STD had awful terrible writing and Picard managed to be worse. It can't be that hard to write Star Trek...
I gave up after 3 episodes
Edited by: "bozo007" 22nd May
23 Comments
Loved it. Great show, nice to see old cast and old storylines in it.
Edited by: "discozohan" 22nd May
It's forgettable and boring I'll never watch it again but can see why some people thought It was ok
Not bad, but wasn't a fan of the foul language. Star Trek has never needed it. Same with the over the top violence and gore.

The best episode, even though not much happened, was the one where he met up with (spoiler) Troy and Riker. It felt like a lost TNG episode.
Brilliant show. 7 of 9 bought back so many memories.
I gave up after 3 episodes
Edited by: "bozo007" 22nd May
I thought it was terrible and couldn't watch more than a few episodes. It replaced the optimism and aspiration of the TNG era shows with something horribly cyncial and totally unfaithful. The plot seemed to make no sense and just favoured pointless action over any kind of thought. It really was like they'd never seen an episode of TNG.

It's not that the old shows were perfect (even TNG has some rubbish episodes) but at least there was an overall quality there that sometimes really shined.
Loved every minute of it. Bring on Season 2 and bonus Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.
Loved most episodes, but sometimes it did drag.
Looking forward to the new series, whenever that might be.
Edited by: "Crustysock" 22nd May
Wife loved it, don’t watch it myself, thing is next generation started 33 years ago now and Patrick Stewart is 80 this year, sadly we are all get older.
It was ok ish, but what a wasted opportunity, should have created a new and fresh Start Trek series. Patrick Stewart didn't do himself any favours, but i suppose money talks. Seemed a bit too PC with liberal undertones for my liking.
It was utterly terrible, the writing was incredibly bad, relying on nostalgia yet written by people who don't even seem to have watched the series they're referencing (7 of 9 being a ruthless killer is a complete contradiction of her arc in Voyager, Data was close friends with La Forge, Picard just saw him as part of the crew).

The gore and swearing were completely out of place and made the show feel immature.

I'm not actually sure I can remember the last time I saw a TV series which made so many big mistakes. A character murders another important character, with close links to one crew member and... they just forgive and forget? There's a certain important Vulcan that literally disappears in the final episode and isn't mentioned again by any of the characters

STD had awful terrible writing and Picard managed to be worse. It can't be that hard to write Star Trek...
Star trek: discovery is truly awesome incoming

This was paced wrongly a slower more twisty plot would have suited an older actor better.
Having only watched the odd ST movies I really enjoyed Picard. Thought the writers did a good job for people already invested but also made it easy for people like me to understand, who are watching Picard as their first foray in the world or ST
keeganland22/05/2020 17:38

Not bad, but wasn't a fan of the foul language. Star Trek has never …Not bad, but wasn't a fan of the foul language. Star Trek has never needed it. Same with the over the top violence and gore.The best episode, even though not much happened, was the one where he met up with (spoiler) Troy and Riker. It felt like a lost TNG episode.

Gets my goat when kids films have to have the inevitable f-word tucked away somewhere.
slow starter but pretty damn good by the end. promising. looking forward to the second series.
Azwipe22/05/2020 22:53

It was ok ish, but what a wasted opportunity, should have created a new …It was ok ish, but what a wasted opportunity, should have created a new and fresh Start Trek series. Patrick Stewart didn't do himself any favours, but i suppose money talks. Seemed a bit too PC with liberal undertones for my liking.

To be fair, Star Trek has always been what people today call liberal and PC.
I wanted to watch Picard and had a free 1 month Amazon trial which came in handy, It took a couple of episodes to get into but after that i was hooked. Nice to see some old characters from other ST shows pop up, so its a recommend from me
abigsmurf22/05/2020 23:56

It was utterly terrible, the writing was incredibly bad, relying on …It was utterly terrible, the writing was incredibly bad, relying on nostalgia yet written by people who don't even seem to have watched the series they're referencing (7 of 9 being a ruthless killer is a complete contradiction of her arc in Voyager, Data was close friends with La Forge, Picard just saw him as part of the crew).The gore and swearing were completely out of place and made the show feel immature.I'm not actually sure I can remember the last time I saw a TV series which made so many big mistakes. A character murders another important character, with close links to one crew member and... they just forgive and forget? There's a certain important Vulcan that literally disappears in the final episode and isn't mentioned again by any of the characters STD had awful terrible writing and Picard managed to be worse. It can't be that hard to write Star Trek...

Yep that sums it up perfectly... this series seemed very disjointed and contradictory...initial premis is that it's an utter urgency to get to find the girl to save her, but they make lots of pointless detours on the way to conveniently bump into old crew members, go find some young lad to be Picard's personal protector when he had 2 devoted and loyal back on earth?!. So many missed oppotunities.

I think the inclusion of Alison Pill who played the clueless, characterless Dr Agnes Jurati was poor choice, she seems to be a Hollywood fav at the monent, she was equally useless in Devs
Edited by: "spannerzone" 23rd May
Started losing interest after 3/4 episodes. Maybe Netflix can have a go with "Data" instead.
Wanting it to be good but it wasn't, like a boxer making a comeback 20 year later, only remembered their best bits. It end at the right time but in the age of US aggressive progressive politicising of entertainment it's even worse than feared. Bad writing, bad acting, uber violent, characters out of character and like star wars still waiting for someone to make a good version (The Mandalorian).
Terrible show. I stopped after the character called Picard "JL"!
Lot of these shows on Netflix and Amazon get green lit regardless of quality control. They make generic trash that has widest possible audience, including Chinese who can't risk offending.
This is state of most films and TV shows
Not quite as good as Star Trek The Next Generation but I quite liked Picard and Star Trek Discovery. Of some the recent Sci-fi shows liked The Orville and the Netflix remake of Lost In Space (haven't fully got into The Expanse after watching season 1)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions