Picture problems LG 55UH650V TV

purchased this model late last year from Argos and from day 1 we've been getting picture colour defects, in that when we're watching a programme and the picture switches to a different camera, the colour darkens, then when the picture switches back to the original camera shot it lightens again. it's not as if it's only happening when it's a fast switch back and forth, but can be a switch that takes minutes.....hope I'm explaining myself ok here.
Anyway tried all the different picture settings I could find, even found a website with optimum advanced settings, but it still happens whatever.
Doesn't happen on my 5 year old series 8 Samsung, but perhaps this is a common of LG's, or a unique fault to my set?
Forgot to say this happens when watching TV from sky, and doesn't happen on my Samsung when connected to the same box using the same leads.
Any ideas please?

16 Comments

I too have the same problem wih my new lguh668v tv particularly noticable when watching the chase

It's a type of global/auto dimming that happens on LG models and you can switch it off. I had it on my old LG TV and it crazy watching Harry Potter switching scenes as it would pulse light and dark. Try to disable dynamic contrast and see if that helps. Also remember some TVs dim in low lighting as part of their ECO mode, turn that crap off and Label the input PC as this tends to kill all the post processing junk.

If you still can't get that to work see if you have game/gaming mode.

Disabled the fancy setting
I've got the a new Sony had the same thing
Turned off auto black and contrast settings doesn't do it now

Edited by: "daveyboy7474" 21st Jan

Original Poster

cheers for the replies, will revisit it tomorrow and see what else I can turn off, eco setting was switched off when I first got it lol

saintscouple

cheers for the replies, will revisit it tomorrow and see what else I can … cheers for the replies, will revisit it tomorrow and see what else I can turn off, eco setting was switched off when I first got it lol

It's the combination of added on stuff they put in, motion interpolation or MCFI, colour correction etc etc. The end result looks more like a soap opera than watching the original footage and it adds a lot of lag. I watched a few films on my LG without switching to Cinema and found the scenes ended up looking like real life instead of the dark dramatic scenes the films were supposed to be. A bit like when you see the making of a film in the features section where none of the lighting effects are added.

Hate to ask but if this has been happening from day 1 why didn't you return the set?

At any route hope you get it sorted.

Original Poster

bbfb123

Hate to ask but if this has been happening from day 1 why didn't you … Hate to ask but if this has been happening from day 1 why didn't you return the set?At any route hope you get it sorted.

​new house and haven't had it on much, busy redecorating and refurbishing the place top to bottom, only bought it when I did as it was posted on here as a good deal. Now things have settled a bit thought I would post here to see if anything I missed before returning it.
Edited by: "saintscouple" 21st Jan

Try watching Relic Hunter. That's one programme that my 2 year old LG really doesn't like. Also I noticed something else as well. I was a bit disappointed with my LG when I first got it. It's 50LB650v and replaced a basic LG from about 2009. I was never overly impressed when I got the new tv compared to the old one and although there is no motion blur or pixelating on the new tv watching chat shows and slow moving frames it seemed real jerky and you could see people's heads twitch slightly. It was hardly noticeable but something I could see. It did the same on using the in built satellite tuner also. Then I got sky back and wow, it was like someone had turned a switch on the tv. Massive improvement on picture quality to a point that I can't believe now just how good the quality of the picture is, apart from watching Relic Hunter lol. I used to watch Relic Hunter on my old tv and it was fine so I don't what they have done to the programme or there is something in the frame rate or bit rate that my LG doesn't like. My daughter has the same tv as me, purchased at same time and it's the same on hers also.

Another thing though I noticed and this isn't my aerial. The HD channels are a big improvement on the sky box compared to either the HD tuner of the tv or the HD tuner of my freeview box. The SD channels however on sky box are inferior. Now is there a conspiracy theory here bearing in mind that sky are a partner of freeview. The conspiracy being that sky deliberately weaken the signal quality of the SD channels via satellite to make people move to an HD package whilst at the same time offering a better digitally enhanced signal on HD via satellite compared to the same channels on freeview. Also there are only 11 or so channels in HD on freeview. If sky were not a partner of freeview, would there be more. Some may say that there isn't the available bandwidth on freeview yet there are only the same amount of channels available on freesat which isn't restricted by bandwidth. Someone is definitely pulling some strings somewhere.
Edited by: "Smartguy1" 21st Jan

Smartguy1

Try watching Relic Hunter. That's one programme that my 2 year old LG … Try watching Relic Hunter. That's one programme that my 2 year old LG really doesn't like. Also I noticed something else as well. I was a bit disappointed with my LG when I first got it. It's 50LB650v and replaced a basic LG from about 2009. I was never overly impressed when I got the new tv compared to the old one and although there is no motion blur or pixelating on the new tv watching chat shows and slow moving frames it seemed real jerky and you could see people's heads twitch slightly. It was hardly noticeable but something I could see. It did the same on using the in built satellite tuner also. Then I got sky back and wow, it was like someone had turned a switch on the tv. Massive improvement on picture quality to a point that I can't believe now just how good the quality of the picture is, apart from watching Relic Hunter lol. I used to watch Relic Hunter on my old tv and it was fine so I don't what they have done to the programme or there is something in the frame rate or bit rate that my LG doesn't like. My daughter has the same tv as me, purchased at same time and it's the same on hers also.Another thing though I noticed and this isn't my aerial. The HD channels are a big improvement on the sky box compared to either the HD tuner of the tv or the HD tuner of my freeview box. The SD channels however on sky box are inferior. Now is there a conspiracy theory here bearing in mind that sky are a partner of freeview. The conspiracy being that sky deliberately weaken the signal quality of the SD channels via satellite to make people move to an HD package whilst at the same time offering a better digitally enhanced signal on HD via satellite compared to the same channels on freeview. Also there are only 11 or so channels in HD on freeview. If sky were not a partner of freeview, would there be more. Some may say that there isn't the available bandwidth on freeview yet there are only the same amount of channels available on freesat which isn't restricted by bandwidth. Someone is definitely pulling some strings somewhere.

They're just different bitrates but the same picture size, higher the bitrate the faster the response time of the picture and the more detail updated. Low bitrate means chunky, blocky, blurry and sometimes missing screen information like spot the football so the bitrate is adjusted for the type of video and bandwidth available.

The jerkiness is caused by motion interpolation as your TV refresh rate is alot higher than the standard 50/60Hz so the TV makes up additional frames on its best guess about what's happening between the real frames. It doesn't work very well in some cases and looks very odd.
cnet.com/uk/…ct/

I'd say your TV works fine but needs setting up properly which means trawling through setup guides on forums for help on setting up your TV.
youtube.com/wat…bUU <== Your TV setup should be similar

Original Poster

kester76

If you still can't get that to work see if you have game/gaming mode.

Cheers, changed label to gaming and this seems to have worked

saintscouple

​Cool, glad in worked

kester76

They're just different bitrates but the same picture size, higher the … They're just different bitrates but the same picture size, higher the bitrate the faster the response time of the picture and the more detail updated. Low bitrate means chunky, blocky, blurry and sometimes missing screen information like spot the football so the bitrate is adjusted for the type of video and bandwidth available. The jerkiness is caused by motion interpolation as your TV refresh rate is alot higher than the standard 50/60Hz so the TV makes up additional frames on its best guess about what's happening between the real frames. It doesn't work very well in some cases and looks very odd.https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect/I'd say your TV works fine but needs setting up properly which means trawling through setup guides on forums for help on setting up your TV. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmhcMy9vbUU <== Your TV setup should be similar

Thank you kester76. That's an excellent explanation. I read the link and understand a little more now. I did set my tv up using the settings shown for my tv on Youtube. It did make a bit of a difference however not for Relic Hunter. No major deal but it does explain why before i set my tv up why watching movies appeared to look like watching a soap opera. That didn't bother me too much but the jerkiness was a real disappointment to a point where I was going to change the tv to a Sony. Am i right in thinking the initial problems I had was because I had gone for a far better tv than my previous 50/60Hz model. The one I have now has a true 100Hz panel.

Viewing via the sky box is a huge improvement though but not entirely sure why this is. I don't seem to notice the jerkiness now. Pointless on BBC1 was quite bad for that and there is definitely and never has been any motion blur on this tv. F1 is amazing to watch. Only issue I have now is occasional dirty screen effect but that's only noticeable on dark scenes. To be honest I haven't tried adjusting the black levels since I got the sky box installed. You can only alter the black levels for hdmi inputs on my tv for some reason.

Smartguy1

Thank you kester76. That's an excellent explanation. I read the link and … Thank you kester76. That's an excellent explanation. I read the link and understand a little more now. I did set my tv up using the settings shown for my tv on Youtube. It did make a bit of a difference however not for Relic Hunter. No major deal but it does explain why before i set my tv up why watching movies appeared to look like watching a soap opera. That didn't bother me too much but the jerkiness was a real disappointment to a point where I was going to change the tv to a Sony. Am i right in thinking the initial problems I had was because I had gone for a far better tv than my previous 50/60Hz model. The one I have now has a true 100Hz panel.Viewing via the sky box is a huge improvement though but not entirely sure why this is. I don't seem to notice the jerkiness now. Pointless on BBC1 was quite bad for that and there is definitely and never has been any motion blur on this tv. F1 is amazing to watch. Only issue I have now is occasional dirty screen effect but that's only noticeable on dark scenes. To be honest I haven't tried adjusting the black levels since I got the sky box installed. You can only alter the black levels for hdmi inputs on my tv for some reason.

​Hi, yes I think the higher frequency of the panel mean't the TV was inserting fake frames into the picture. The dirty blacks are probably due to the brighter lighting of the panel as well, it's one of the reason why the new video formats have gone 8bit+ to give more black levels.

Ok cheers.

Original Poster

saintscouple

Just watching 'The voice' and nope not sorted, terrible colour change grrrrr could it be a faulty set??
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Can you change the battery on the newer style Oral B 4000 toothbrush?79
    2. iPhone charging cable.915
    3. electric hammer drill46
    4. Sky package66

See more discussions