Pillow back or standard back on a corner sofa?

12 replies
Found 31st Dec 2016
I'm looking at buying a corner sofa from perhaps DFS or Harveys. I like the look one one in DFS, but a salesman there told me that I would have to pay out £150 extra if I wanted a standard/normal backed sofa (instead of around 8 cushions - pillow back). On top of that it would be an extra £150 to get foam seating replaced for the fibre seating. I really wanted a standard back, but one of the sofas does look quite nice with the pillows instead - wouldn't the pillow backs wear out a lot quicker than a standard backed sofa? I'm just wondering if anybody has a pillow backed sofa and what they think of it? Also, I thought that the pillow backs might not be as comfortable as a standard back (keep moving them around to get comfortable)? Thank you.

12 Comments

If you have about 700 cash buy a exdisplay one from a local shop it will be samething from dfs furniture village scs I Baugh a massive corner electrical group for 1800 and in furniture village it would of cost 4500 big difference lazy boys are good

If anyone in your household suffers from ocd, then do not buy a cushion back.
I'm forever plumping the cushions, because as soon as anyone sits on the sofa they all get squished and looked untidy. Everyone sits on the floor now!

Ive got pillow back corner and the worst thing about it is the space of the seating area that the pillows take up, makes the sofa feel very narrow to sit on.

The pillows havent worn as such in the year ive had it, but im considering selling this to replace in order to get something wider to site on

Original Poster

misspink1981

If anyone in your household suffers from ocd, then do not buy a cushion … If anyone in your household suffers from ocd, then do not buy a cushion back. I'm forever plumping the cushions, because as soon as anyone sits on the sofa they all get squished and looked untidy. Everyone sits on the floor now!

Nobody in my household has OCD, but that is a very good point that you made - I can imagine that somebody with OCD might have a bit of a problem with pillow backs, especially if they are all different colours. I think that I will pay out for the standard back (could always add a cushion or two). Thank you.

Original Poster

jase.2

Ive got pillow back corner and the worst thing about it is the space of … Ive got pillow back corner and the worst thing about it is the space of the seating area that the pillows take up, makes the sofa feel very narrow to sit on.The pillows havent worn as such in the year ive had it, but im considering selling this to replace in order to get something wider to site on

Thank you for giving me your view on a pillow back sofa, much appreciated.

The cushions also begin to slouch and lose the shape, I'd go for the standard normal back and add a few scatters if you wanted

Don't get fibre seating, terrible, alhough don't pay the extra £150, get some foam blocks and cut then to fit your cushions yourself. That's what I ended up doing

Original Poster

wingmirror

The cushions also begin to slouch and lose the shape, I'd go for the … The cushions also begin to slouch and lose the shape, I'd go for the standard normal back and add a few scatters if you wanted

Thank you, that is what I'll do. It's a bit of a shame that DFS charge £150 extra for a standard back - I'm also looking at a sofa in Harveys and was told that they don't' charge any extra if you want a standard back.

Original Poster

IMT

Don't get fibre seating, terrible, alhough don't pay the extra £150, get … Don't get fibre seating, terrible, alhough don't pay the extra £150, get some foam blocks and cut then to fit your cushions yourself. That's what I ended up doing

Somebody else suggested doing that, however, I was a bit confused as to how they graded the densities of the foam, ie, 35/140, 50/169, etc? If I get foam, I don't want anything too hard - somebody gave me a sofa once with really hard foam seats and it was so uncomfortable that I ended up giving it away again.

Definitely standard back.... The second you sit down and lean back, pillow backs look untidy.

Sophiasky

Somebody else suggested doing that, however, I was a bit confused as to … Somebody else suggested doing that, however, I was a bit confused as to how they graded the densities of the foam, ie, 35/140, 50/169, etc? If I get foam, I don't want anything too hard - somebody gave me a sofa once with really hard foam seats and it was so uncomfortable that I ended up giving it away again.

I'm guessing it's the foam density in kilograms per cubic meters and the hardness in newtons required to depress a certain area by a certain percentage.

If that is how they're rated then higher is better for the first one, denser foams last longer. If you want a soft foam then you need a low second number.

They will tend to go up together but there's a bit of variation.

If you are anywhere near Nottingham/Derby then try Frank Knighton. They do excellent aftercare and no gimmicks. They make some sofas themselves and offer 10 year guarantee on them, which includes free refilling of the cushions should they ever need it. frankknighton.co.uk
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769542
    2. Add one, leave one game54415458
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428214657
    4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247654

See more discussions