Expired

pink/green anitfreeze, engine coolant radiator fluid?! VW Golf mk4 2001

Found 31st Aug 2012
Hey guys, have a VW Golf Mk4 2001, 1.6l petrol, yesterday the engine coolant light came on, i checked the fluid level today an it is really low, looks like theres only bubbles in the resevoir

now i think this has been running pink anti freeze (G12) in it, i have jsut gone to the garage and bought 5l of distilled/de ionsed water and a bottle of Shell Premium Grade radiator fluid, this is a blu /green colour

now i read online that you are not meant to mix green/red as it can create a sludge that blocks your tubes and such...

can i flush my engine coolant system and use this green? is this easy to do? or should i go and just try find some pink anti freeze from a garage tomorrow?
Community Updates
14 Comments
You're overlooking the bigger problem - where has the coolant gone?
Original Poster
pghstochaj

You're overlooking the bigger problem - where has the coolant gone?

i quite agree this could be an issue, i have noticed no marking on the ground under it..

considering the car has done 117k miles it is quite possible it could just be low, but my plan is to fill it up first on my own, then if the issue comes around again in the near future, or i notice any patches under the car which i am keeping an eye out for it will be straight off to the garage

any idea on an answer to my question?
It doesn't get low though - it is a closed system. If you haven't got a visible leak on the ground/issues with the heating and ventilation system, it is most probably a head gasket failure. If the car has 117k on the clock, you are better off draining the system completely rather than topping it up.

I don't think you can mix them - blue/green stuff is glycol based, whilst pink is not. There are said to form sludge if you mix them.

In my opinion, you should either drain and refill the system or investigate the problem properly.
Original Poster
hmm well, ive jsut watched a video on how to drain, defo cannot be arsed with that, i am going to get some g12 or pink stuff tomorrow, i just need to be sure if it is losing stuff from the system, im aware it shouldnt over a short period, but i wouldnt think it unreasonable after soo many miles

if there is any issue will have to garage it up and see whats wrong with ti proper

any reason i cant just top up with distilled water for now, not like its going to be 0 degrees any time soon, and that will give me a chance to check whether it is leaking or losing
Yes, it's a coolant and anti-freeze, so it also increases the boiling point of the mixture. You should make sure you have approximately the correct concentration.

There should be nowhere for the water to go - so none should be lost. I would keep a very close eye on it.

Have you noticed water drops from your exhaust or a more visible exhaust plume?
Original Poster
pghstochaj

Yes, it's a coolant and anti-freeze, so it also increases the boiling … Yes, it's a coolant and anti-freeze, so it also increases the boiling point of the mixture. You should make sure you have approximately the correct concentration.There should be nowhere for the water to go - so none should be lost. I would keep a very close eye on it.Have you noticed water drops from your exhaust or a more visible exhaust plume?

no really havent noticed any issues with exhaust, i do have my suspicions it could have leaked out yesterday under the engine, but obviously prior to the light coming on i had never bothered to be concerned with this area so it had no attention, like i say will pick up some pink gear in the morning, top it up, see how we get on, then cray about it when it all goes wrong in a month
Banned
why did you mix two colours any way hope your not doing science on your engine
Original Poster
i didnt mix two colours
Bung some k seal in it.Sorted
Original Poster
hooray henry

Bung some k seal in it.Sorted

am gna try this thanks
Halfords have pre mixed red coolant there, I know it's a bit more money but worth it, VW like red coolant!
N1K0LAI_DAN7E

am gna try this thanks

It will not cure a blown head gasket, if that is the cause of your problems, take it a decent garage and let them check it out, before putting any of that junk in to your car.
I have had a couple of older cars that had engine trouble. I would take account of what pghstochaj has said as it certainly seemed to make sense in my experience.

If its a head gasket problem it wont just clear itself whether you cure a potential radiator leak or not
Original Poster
to eb fair after driving it around yesterday (to go pick up some pink antifreeze)

i checked the level of fuid in there and it seems the loss of fluid is nowhere near as severe as i initially thought, have topped up and will see how i get on, k seal does seems to get good very good reviews though, might just take it as a precautionary measure, checked the connections on the piping aswell and really couldnt see any issues

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions