Pinned items to taskbar windows 10 issue

Posted 8th Apr
Within the last week I have been having a problem with my pinned items on the taskbar as when I right click on the app, I see a list of pinned items in a pop up screen but I can't access those items because as soon as I take my mouse away from the pinned app, the pinned items pop up screen disappears.

The same probem happens with my volume button on the task bar. When I left click on that, the pop up screen appears so I can change the volume, but as soon as I move my mouse away from the volume icon on the taskbar, the slider disappears.

Anyone know how to fix this? I have tried to restart windows explorer in the task manager as this can sometimes resolve the taskbar problems, but with no luck.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Just tried mine and cant replicate your problem. I'm fully up to date with Microsoft releases. Try scanning with system file checker as administrator, read about it here.
support.microsoft.com/en-…tem
Sounds like some kind of software is forcing priority. One thing you could do is end tasks systematically in task manager to see if any of them are interfering. I remember anti virus software would cause problems with my task bar. I don't use them anymore with Windows 10 though.
Frankie7708/04/2020 18:56

Sounds like some kind of software is forcing priority. One thing you could …Sounds like some kind of software is forcing priority. One thing you could do is end tasks systematically in task manager to see if any of them are interfering. I remember anti virus software would cause problems with my task bar. I don't use them anymore with Windows 10 though.

i don't have any antivirus software on the machine, only what comes with windows 10. i closed all the apps down and there is no task running and i am still getting the problem.

if i left click on the pinned app, i can sometimes get the pop up screen to stay open but this is hit and miss and happens 10% of the time only. same thing with the volume control but i find if i double right click instead of single right click, i can sometimes get the pop up screen to stay for me to change the slider.
Are you running a PC/laptop? It's not on tablet mode is it? Can you open your taskbar apps by pressing the windows key and the corresponding number ok?
Frankie7708/04/2020 19:55

Are you running a PC/laptop? It's not on tablet mode is it? Can you open …Are you running a PC/laptop? It's not on tablet mode is it? Can you open your taskbar apps by pressing the windows key and the corresponding number ok?

i am using the laptop. not sure what you mean tablet mode? when i press the windows key, i see a list of the apps on the machine.
A clean install of windows....
endofdays09/04/2020 09:25

A clean install of windows....

how do i do that? would mean a serious back up? would it worth doing for this issue, i wonder.
mutley109/04/2020 09:44

how do i do that? would mean a serious back up? would it worth doing for …how do i do that? would mean a serious back up? would it worth doing for this issue, i wonder.

I’d try this first.

It’s a somewhat clean install but keeps all your files. Usually fixes a fair few problems, but possible you may have malware if you don’t have an antivirus etc. installed.

Maybe look at downloading anti malware bytes and see if it picks up anything malicious.
Vencurse09/04/2020 10:09

I’d try this first. [Video] It’s a somewhat clean install but keeps all you …I’d try this first. [Video] It’s a somewhat clean install but keeps all your files. Usually fixes a fair few problems, but possible you may have malware if you don’t have an antivirus etc. installed.Maybe look at downloading anti malware bytes and see if it picks up anything malicious.

resetting sounds a better option. it is an update that is causing the problem as it is a new problem that has developed only recently and the machine is only a few months old.
mutley109/04/2020 10:12

resetting sounds a better option. it is an update that is causing the …resetting sounds a better option. it is an update that is causing the problem as it is a new problem that has developed only recently and the machine is only a few months old.

There’s also a folder here -
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

This holds all the windows updates files. You’re good to delete the entire folder and try restart the update again just in case it corrupted.
Edited by: "Vencurse" 9th Apr
Have you simply restarted the computer (using the restart option, not shut down and then start back up)?
i reset the pc windows 10 but it didn't go well. problem still persists and i have now lost microsoft office 2007 standard as the key is no longer accepted! i also have norton installed and can not remove it, even with the norton removal tool
The reason I was asking you to press Windows key and key 1 both together (key 2, key 3 etc. opens up each corresponding app) was to detect if it may be a hardware problem. I see you have tried to reset windows and got into a bit of a mess over there. I hope you can get some support help as you said it's a fairly new laptop.
Frankie7710/04/2020 05:18

The reason I was asking you to press Windows key and key 1 both together …The reason I was asking you to press Windows key and key 1 both together (key 2, key 3 etc. opens up each corresponding app) was to detect if it may be a hardware problem. I see you have tried to reset windows and got into a bit of a mess over there. I hope you can get some support help as you said it's a fairly new laptop.

i got microsoft office back as i had written the product key down wrong! phew. i won't be resetting the machine again without caution as you lose the software installed on it and the product key for microsoft office has a limit on how many times it can be used.

the problem seems to have gone away today, so the reset may have worked, even though it didn't seem to work straightaway. but it did come and go as a problem before i reset the machine back to factory settings.

windows key plus 1,2,3 works fine. i wasn't sure what you meant in your original post but tried just now and the apps on the taskbar is launched in succession. the problem was never about launching the app from the task bar, but choosing the individual documents pinned to that app as i could see them but i could not select them as the pop up list disappears before i could get to it with my mouse. i did try to move the mouse as quickly as i could last night and sometimes i manage to get to the list before it disappears, it's like playing catch the flame deer!

the annoying problem i have now is that when i reset the machine, norton security scan was downloaded and i can't uninstall it through the uninstall option or the norton removal tool and that is really annoying.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions