Groups

Pioneer makes 500gb Blu Ray Disc

Now here's a rate of progress we could get used to. Nary a month after Pioneer trumpeted a 400GB Blu-ray Disc, out pops another press release from the firm boasting about a 500 gigger with a score of layers. Based on research at its Tokyo headquarters, specifications have been drafted for an incredibly capacious 500GB BD. Granted, this very company already had plans for a 500GB optical disc nearly four years ago, but there's no time like the present to make this stuff a reality, right?

Best of all, the technique used by Pioneer is expected to be backward compatible with existing Blu-ray gear since the specs and lenses required for pickup are identical. The prototype is read-only for the moment but R&D's on it so let's give them some time to work it out.

Looks like blu ray will last for a while now then
    could scrap hard drives and have blu rays as the storage

Daniel

engadget.com/200…le/

8 Comments

Nah, imagine how easy they'd be to steal?

Original Poster

t0mm;2683448

Nah, imagine how easy they'd be to steal?

i always thought solid state flash would be the next storage revolution but blu ray will be set for 15 odd years

I mena half a terrabyte is more than enough

dandoc2;2683456

i always thought solid state flash would be the next storage revolution … i always thought solid state flash would be the next storage revolution but blu ray will be set for 15 odd years I mena half a terrabyte is more than enough

As long as it works with existing players, then it will be here to stay for a while.

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;2683478

As long as it works with existing players, then it will be here to stay … As long as it works with existing players, then it will be here to stay for a while.

Well when UHD Tvs (ultra high def) become mainstream you will need at least 500gb for the fim

Well I think they should start using these high capacity discs and use higher res transfers and uncompressed audio now (well to the point where it fit to the 500gb). But they wont because it would be better business for them to rerelease all the films again in the higher transfers at a later date.

dandoc2;2683456

i always thought solid state flash would be the next storage revolution … i always thought solid state flash would be the next storage revolution but blu ray will be set for 15 odd years I mena half a terrabyte is more than enough

15 years is a lifetime in computing terms. you cannot possibly dream of what will be available in the year 2023.

Half a terrabyte is more than enough? Who are you kidding.
    Tell that to the people who had never heard of a gigabyte not so many years ago. For them 128 meg would have been hard to fill.

Jumpingphil;2683936

15 years is a lifetime in computing terms. you cannot possibly dream of … 15 years is a lifetime in computing terms. you cannot possibly dream of what will be available in the year 2023.Half a terrabyte is more than enough? Who are you kidding.Tell that to the people who had never heard of a gigabyte not so many years ago. For them 128 meg would have been hard to fill.

When floppy drives were humungus! 1.4MB

t0mm;2683945

When floppy drives were humungus! 1.4MB

What's a floppy drive. :w00t:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Samsung Galaxy S622
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846301
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416514117
      4. Best advert ever to be seen.11

See more discussions