Pipex - charged for calls i'm sure not made

Found 20th Jan 2009
Hi wondered if anyone had a similar problem to this. I received a monthly itemised bill normally my web and phone bill comes to around £12 - £15 per month. This month it was over £44!

I checked my bill online and the cost of the calls did not add up. I psoke to Pipex and they said that numerous calls had been made to one particular number - 0800531706. Is anyone aware of this number?

Some of these calls were made when we were not in the house. Others were at strange time like 5:19am for 7 seconds then a few seconds later the number would be dialled again. There was one from 9:49pm - 11:43pm - i never stay up that late!

I have called the number which says (if your'e calling from a mobile that you'll be charged, but once you get through that it says you have dialled incorrectly).

Anyway, i wanted to know why these weren't on the itemised bill, but i never got a good enough answer and they wouldn't put me through to someone else.
i've even tried emailing them but with no luck. I do not want to pay for calls that were not made. BUT does anyone have any idea how this could have happened? Has it happened to anyone out there?I'm worried that the calls might still go on but hopefully now that i've pointed out via email and phone that something is not quite right that i should not be charged for them.

The last person i spoke to said that the billing department would be in touch within 3 days. Hopefully it will get sorted - but has anyone had a similar problem? if so what happened?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated

1. Misc
  2. Landline
13 Comments

Good luck sorting it x x

Its 0800 It Should Be A Free Call

Do You Have Sky Tv As It May Be Your Sky Box If So Check The Number By Ringing Sky(they Will Talk You Through It)

Original Poster

raptorcigs;4133871

Do You Have Sky Tv As It May Be Your Sky Box If So Check The Number By … Do You Have Sky Tv As It May Be Your Sky Box If So Check The Number By Ringing Sky(they Will Talk You Through It)

sorry, what do you mean it may be our sky box (sorry i'm a technophobe) - and if it is shouldn't it be free?

dramaqueen;4133910

sorry, what do you mean it may be our sky box (sorry i'm a technophobe) - … sorry, what do you mean it may be our sky box (sorry i'm a technophobe) - and if it is shouldn't it be free?

U know the box u watch sky tv on, if it is connected to your phoneline that may be the fault
a friend of mine had a £400 phone bill as the internet kept requesting a dial connection that was charging her everytime she tried to log on which was a lot lol, I think it kept automatically trying to log on so her phone bill was huge, this was in the days b4 broadband though
SO it could be that your sky box is dialling a number for some reason I'm not sure sure Raptor may be able to explain more x x

Original Poster

ive been speaking with sky and i think he thought me a bit of an idiot!! he said i was not been charged through them and couldn't see that there could be a problem, however i'm trying to speak to the broadband department - see how i get in there!

dramaqueen;4134053

ive been speaking with sky and i think he thought me a bit of an idiot!! … ive been speaking with sky and i think he thought me a bit of an idiot!! he said i was not been charged through them and couldn't see that there could be a problem, however i'm trying to speak to the broadband department - see how i get in there!

fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Original Poster

broadband guy said that if the sky box was using the telephone line, say when using the active features on sky the telephone number would show up as our home number.
not getting anywhere fast here i'm afraid

dramaqueen;4134194

broadband guy said that if the sky box was using the telephone line, say … broadband guy said that if the sky box was using the telephone line, say when using the active features on sky the telephone number would show up as our home number.not getting anywhere fast here i'm afraid

Ok, silly question but is your actual phoneline with pipex or Bt, not just your phonecalls, if it's Bt maybe worth giving them a call, if not go back to pipex and demand (nicely) to speak to someone else and explain that you have phones sky and broadband good luck, x x x :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Angelstar;4134245

Ok, silly question but is your actual phoneline with pipex or Bt, not … Ok, silly question but is your actual phoneline with pipex or Bt, not just your phonecalls, if it's Bt maybe worth giving them a call, if not go back to pipex and demand (nicely) to speak to someone else and explain that you have phones sky and broadband good luck, x x x :thumbsup:

Landline is with BT - i'll try giving them a call tomorrow.

dramaqueen;4134280

Landline is with BT - i'll try giving them a call tomorrow.

ok good luck hope you get it sorted but just thinking my landline is with bt and my calls with aol it more than likely is something with pipex but bt may be able to help or give you some advice x x x

0800 should be free but I think you may have omitted a digit from the number. Get a block on the number to stop repetition.
]Complaints against phone service providers

If you have a complaint about your phone service provider, you should speak to them about it first. If this doesn't solve the problem, you can make a formal complaint to the company. You can find details of how to do this on the back of your phone bill. If you can't find these details, the company's customer service staff will tell you how to make a formal complaint.

All phone companies are required to have a formal customer complaints process. If the company hasn't got one, you should tell the communications watchdog, Ofcom – see under heading ]Useful organisations.

If you have made a formal complaint to the phone company and this hasn't solved the problem, you can try using the company's Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme. Your phone company might belong to one of two ADR schemes which have been approved by Ofcom:

[LIST]
[*]Otelo (the Office of the Telecommunications Ombudsman) or
[*]CISAS (Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme).[/LIST]
You can find more details about Otelo and CISAS under heading ]Useful organisations.

All phone companies are required to have an ADR scheme. They are breaking important consumer protection rules if they don't. If your phone company won't tell you about its ADR scheme, you can call Ofcom for details, or look on their website – see under heading ]Useful organisations.

If you have a complaint about a premium rate number service, see under heading ]Premium rate phone services.

Original Poster

Thanks for all of your advice and help. I have received an email - see following
We appreciate your efforts in bringing the error in your 01 January 2009 statement to our attention. Having checked the itemised calls on your account, I appears that the charges added on your account was made from calling 0800 numbers. I can confirm that this should be a free number. The accounting department is now recalculating your statement. Rest assured that any adjustments due to you will be posted on your next billing statement.

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience that these errors may have created. While we understand that errors can occur, we will be researching this issue to determine what actually caused it to ensure that it does not happen again. However, if you do find any errors in future statements, please contact us and we will be happy to rectify the situation. saying that i should not have been charged for the 0800 number and they will amend my account.
BUT they did not answer any of my questions - so a sent another email asking them to ANSWER the questions.
why was the number not on the itemised bill? we also have not made these calls. i need to see a full list of calls made so i can check the times and dates. PLUS my monthly bills have been steadily increasing over the past few months - how do i know i haven't been charged for 0800 numbers in previous months??
I WILL get to the bottom of this - eventually!!!
Post a comment
@
    Text