PIR security light lens mask

9 replies
Found 28th Jan
I'm abit confused here if someone can help please?
Have a security light on outside wall. As shown in photo. I want to increase the range for when the light goes ON. so if someone is 10 meters away for example the light will detect it.

Going off the photo, do I need to remove some of those segments from the cover? I'm worried if I remove them, can I put them back again in the future or are they once-snap-off only?

Any ideas? Thanks.

1. Ask
  2. Lens
  3. Pir
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Lens
  3. Pir
9 Comments

Original Poster

https://s28.postimg.org/n0ibfh13h/IMG_0955.jpg

Yes by removing the little segments the range for the detection increases. You can use masking tape to cover the segments again if you want to decrease at a later date. For 10m range, cut from the bottom and remove the segments up to the 10m marking. The number of segments you remove from left to right will determine the angle of range.

Edited by: "t_kaay" 28th Jan

I thought you can block off with plastic inserts behind lens but not remove the cover? You need to install a sensor near where you can trigger a light. Maybe get a separate sensor and run a cable to light/lights... The colder the weather the better the heat trigger so of your having trouble now, it will be worse in the summer

Original Poster

t_kaay

Yes by removing the little segments the range for the detection … Yes by removing the little segments the range for the detection increases. You can use masking tape to cover the segments again if you want to decrease at a later date. For 10m range, cut from the bottom and remove the segments up to the 10m marking. The number of segments you remove from left to right will determine the angle of range.

Thanks. So where the little folds are for 4m, 8m etc, they'll snap off individually right?

And concerning the width am I right in thinking the more pieces I remove from left to right, the more area it will detect from right to left? Say about 60 degree angle?

Edit. Just noticed you edited your reply. I think I answered my own question somewhere in there thanks for the clarification. Cheers.
Edited by: "speedemon" 28th Jan

I'm learning here.. Didn't know you can remove outer case, however I have used the silver foil tape to block IR light to stop false triggers.

Original Poster

Note sure wayners. Wouldn't it depend on your individual light fitting as they're all different?

speedemon

Note sure wayners. Wouldn't it depend on your individual light fitting as … Note sure wayners. Wouldn't it depend on your individual light fitting as they're all different?

​I guess. Most seem to trigger to easily. Will look closer in the future as I do fiddle with them.

on the PIR there should be 3 dials , one for sensitivity, one for time and a dust/dawn setting, is there any of them? turn the sensitivity up full if you have it

speedemon

Thanks. So where the little folds are for 4m, 8m etc, they'll snap off … Thanks. So where the little folds are for 4m, 8m etc, they'll snap off individually right?And concerning the width am I right in thinking the more pieces I remove from left to right, the more area it will detect from right to left? Say about 60 degree angle?Edit. Just noticed you edited your reply. I think I answered my own question somewhere in there thanks for the clarification. Cheers.

Sorry for the late reply but yes, that's correct.
Edited by: "t_kaay" 28th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Whey protien629
    2. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...811
    3. Rugged Android Phone/Tablet68
    4. amazon echo idiots guide69

See more discussions