Found 1st Jun
I know this isnt money related. I dont belong to any other forums. Iv been diagnosed with a pituitary gland tumour. Does anyone have any experience with this? Many thanks hukd'rs

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

yep can affect your hormones , your ability to get pregnant, sleep, alertness etc. can be corrected with hormone replacement cobergaline spelt wrongly, it's more common than you think and can be treated. so try not to worry.

Sorry to hear. Hope any treatment goes well for you.

Take care.

All the best with the treatment. God bless

Isn't that what Jaws from 007 suffered from along with nearly all of the tallest men in the world. They were all relatively easily treatable.
At least you have a diagnosis. I hope you're sorted soon, don't panic.

I'm sorry to hear that. You must be feeling shocked, but also somewhat relieved that your symptoms have a cause and a cure.

The good news is that most pituitary tumours are non-cancerous, and these days if it requires surgery, the likelihood is that the surgeon will go in through the nose rather than scull.

If you require replacement medications, e.g. hydrocortisone, it's important you always take your medications on time and take note of the 'sick day rules' that your doctors will tell you. The meds can have side effects such as weight gain but you need to find out what, if any, meds you require and talk to your doctors about it.

Good luck, and if you're struggling and need some support, just post in misc and we'll be there for you.

Without wishing to pry, pituitary tumours are hugely variable - just in symptoms alone. There are macro-adenomas and micro-adenomas and other things as well. Some will result in large hormone inbalances for example perhaps milk production at the nipple, whilst others will give you visual changes (bi-temporal hemianopia). The pituitary produces many hormones and so the exact tumour type, size, and location within the pituitary produces hugely different symptoms.

Each will have different symptoms, and success of any treatment - as with everything - depends on how early it was detected and which structures are affected. But you're doctor will have gone through your exact prognosis I presume If you can't remember, that's totally normal and you can ask them to repeat it! Generally a good prognosis but it's not completely right for us to say as everybody is different and we don't know your condition status (And most of us aren't doctors).

So we're all here for you at HUKD with hugs & support, but don't go on what a few people say on any forum .
Edited by: "Firefly1" 2nd Jun

One of the little silver linings is that if you require any thyroid replacement medications, you get free prescriptions (including unrelated meds). OK, maybe that's scraping the barrel of looking on the bright side but it's important you not worry about things like money and paying for prescriptions.

My friend has been diagnosed with one for over 10 years now. Hew uses a testosterone gel.
Which he rubs into his shoulders once every morning. That's his treatment. I don't know much about side affects
as he likes chocolate and booze which don't help weight gain. The only side affect he gets is every so often he has a
grumpy day where he will snap for no reason at anyone or any thing.

bigwheels

My friend has been diagnosed with one for over 10 years now. Hew uses a … My friend has been diagnosed with one for over 10 years now. Hew uses a testosterone gel. Which he rubs into his shoulders once every morning. That's his treatment. I don't know much about side affects as he likes chocolate and booze which don't help weight gain. The only side affect he gets is every so often he has agrumpy day where he will snap for no reason at anyone or any thing.

Testosterone is the best thing on the earth AyyYyyyYyYY

Hi. I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumour in 2002. My tumour was benign, but causing acromegaly, along with other hormone problems. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them.

I was diagnosed with a Prolactinoma several years ago purely by chance - and after an MRI it was found to be nearly the size of a golf ball - and I also had one of the highest levels of prolactin my consultant had come across. I had been suffering from depressive like symptoms for a while which was caused by my endocrine system being flooded and no other hormones having a chance.

I now take a tablet once a week although I started on 3 a week (carbergoline) and the adenoma is now the size of a pea. If it hadnt been found when it was it would have more than likely been found within 6 months as it was resting on my optic nerve and would have started affecting my sight. I also see a consultant once a year and should be having an MRI again in the near future.

The worst thing about it all was when the doctor told me that I something wrong. It was done really badly and I walked out of there thinking I had brain cancer - got in my car and then broke down. When you have two young children and self employed!! Google was my friend that night I will tell you.

Edited by: "discobob" 3rd Jun

Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies! Didnt expect so many
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Toyota verso camera25
    2. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…822
    3. Cineworld - possible to book film for future at counter to save booking fee…33
    4. Aliexpress - To be trusted?810

See more discussions