Groups

Pixallated

Can someone explain the logic behind showing a pixallated picture in the newspapers trying to infer it is someone that the article is about.

9 Comments

You mean when they use an edited picture of the person a story is written about to hide the identity? Usually because the courts have issued an order that it cant be made public until the trials finished. Or if the person has taken an injunction out against the media revealing their identity.

Original Poster

Eez1;6176263

You mean when they use an edited picture of the person a story is written … You mean when they use an edited picture of the person a story is written about to hide the identity? Usually because the courts have issued an order that it cant be made public until the trials finished. Or if the person has taken an injunction out against the media revealing their identity.

So what is the purpose of showing the pixallated picture? it could be of anyone or anything?

MikeL;6176358

So what is the purpose of showing the pixallated picture? it could be of … So what is the purpose of showing the pixallated picture? it could be of anyone or anything?

Because it looks better than a big white empty space?

Most of the time you can get an idea no matter how insignificant of what the picture is showing. Race, Body type Etc. And there are also slight clues some more obvious than others, included in the article that drop hints at the identity of the person, without fully disclosing their i.d. You can usually guess who its about by this, and the tabloids know it.

Original Poster

Eez1;6176445

Most of the time you can get an idea no matter how insignificant of what … Most of the time you can get an idea no matter how insignificant of what the picture is showing. Race, Body type Etc. And there are also slight clues some more obvious than others, included in the article that drop hints at the identity of the person, without fully disclosing their i.d. You can usually guess who its about by this, and the tabloids know it.

So what is the point?? The picture I am referring to is on page 5 of the Metro and is the story of the Jaycee Lee Dugard and her children, Starlet and Angel, fathered by her kidnapper, so I know what its about and who it is because the caption “‘Normal life’: Starlet and Angel at a party’ gives me this information.
    So showing a pixallated picture is as much use as a blank picture ... so why bother?

Because it reinforces the idea that the identities of the kids should be kept secret. You dont wanna be recognized everywhere you go for the kinda story they have and what their mother and they have been through.

Banned

pixEllated BTW

Original Poster

Eez1;6176875

Because it reinforces the idea that the identities of the kids should be … Because it reinforces the idea that the identities of the kids should be kept secret. You dont wanna be recognized everywhere you go for the kinda story they have and what their mother and they have been through.

Quite agree with you explanation.... but .... if it was me I would prefer no photo whether pixellated or not.

Original Poster

csiman;6176916

pixEllated BTW

Pedant;-)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Finally got a Xbox one s11
      2. Just an thought regarding Paypal11
      3. Rain effect window. The one from FRIENDS! Please help!56
      4. Beer experts help required!46