PixiFoto may go bust!

Found 29th Jul 2013
Just a warning that the Australian arm/main part of the business is going into Administration. Think before handing them money for photos you may not get (and in my opinion are often of poor quality anyway, their employees are minimum waged sales people, with the concept being anyone can take a photo). Please spread warning far and wide.
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
Misc
23 Comments
http://www.news.com.au/national-news/nsw-act/more-than-300-staff-at-pixifoto-are-facing-the-axe-after-parent-company-photo-corporation-of-australia-went-into-administration/story-fnii5s3x-1226687448352

They also trade under the name Portrait Place.
Never heard of them
Thank you for the heads up. We just had a leaflet for these in our bounty pack when we left the hospital with our new baby last week.
sparkyIreland

Never heard of them

They are the ones that setup a photo session between pick n mix and hemorrhoid cream in boots/woolys etc.
I've got a grudge on them since 2001, I spent over 1 hour waiting in Boots to be then told they had run out of film !
Mum2ConnornCerys

I've got a grudge on them since 2001, I spent over 1 hour waiting in … I've got a grudge on them since 2001, I spent over 1 hour waiting in Boots to be then told they had run out of film !

How dare they!
RossD89

How dare they!

Exactly that's why they gone bust as I sued and got a 6 figure sum!

Not exactly ideal is it when they see a line of people and they no idea on their level of equipment remaining.
Mum2ConnornCerys

Exactly that's why they gone bust as I sued and got a 6 figure sum! Not … Exactly that's why they gone bust as I sued and got a 6 figure sum! Not exactly ideal is it when they see a line of people and they no idea on their level of equipment remaining.

Have you never unexpecteldy run out of something, or failed to anticipate a high demand of something? It's not a rarity to have this happen, and it is quite acceptable.
RossD89

Have you never unexpecteldy run out of something, or failed to anticipate … Have you never unexpecteldy run out of something, or failed to anticipate a high demand of something? It's not a rarity to have this happen, and it is quite acceptable.

Of course but then I'm not a business relying on customers. They should been looking at the line of people coming in and closing it off when they knew they be running out of film.
Mum2ConnornCerys

Of course but then I'm not a business relying on customers. They should … Of course but then I'm not a business relying on customers. They should been looking at the line of people coming in and closing it off when they knew they be running out of film.

Fair enough I can accept that. It would be quite irritating to be stood around for an hour to be told it was for nothing. A 12 year grudge seems a bit harsh though.
RossD89

Fair enough I can accept that. It would be quite irritating to be stood … Fair enough I can accept that. It would be quite irritating to be stood around for an hour to be told it was for nothing. A 12 year grudge seems a bit harsh though.

I totally meant it as a joke that I got a grudge against them .
I totally forgot about it till now then when I read the post and it triggered the memory. I only know it happened in 2001 because my eldest child turned 1 same day so it's a day that stood out because it was his b'day.
Mum2ConnornCerys

I totally meant it as a joke that I got a grudge against them .I totally … I totally meant it as a joke that I got a grudge against them .I totally forgot about it till now then when I read the post and it triggered the memory. I only know it happened in 2001 because my eldest child turned 1 same day so it's a day that stood out because it was his b'day.

In that case, I blame the internet for me taking you seriously.
RossD89

In that case, I blame the internet for me taking you seriously.

It's totally same thing when a text is sent, it never comes across as you meant it.
Mum2ConnornCerys

It's totally same thing when a text is sent, it never comes across as you … It's totally same thing when a text is sent, it never comes across as you meant it.

^^^ This!!!
Hi All,
UK and Ireland PixiFoto is business as usual. No need for concern

Yes our Australian friends have lost their jobs and the administrators are dealing with everything. The comments on the page to spread the word and to be concerened to work with us , is silly and not true at all. If you have concerns and need to talk to us , contact our customer service and we will re assure you , that there is no issues in the UK and Ireland ... its business as usual.
csd@photocorp.co.uk
many thanks
Wonder how many staff in Australia knew in advance of their impending job loss Fact is companies are very secretive of these decisions until the last minute, and they're happy enough to take money when they have no intention of delivering the goods and or services. Everyone just needs to see the PixiFoto Australia facebook page to see the long list of distraught customers and ex staff. The management of Australia business is same as the UK, with many of them coming to the UK to visit stores etc. You can bet that under the same circumstances the same management team will handle it just as badly right through to the end. When the same management treat customers in Australia like that, you can hardly expect those in the UK to have any trust. They're unable and unwilling to adapt and change and are too focussed on sales targets and making money, blaming employees for not meeting targets, at the expense of any real understanding of how to run a business.

Got your latest business accounts to hand by any chance?

Edited by: "anewman" 30th Jul 2013
I used to be a Photographer at Pixifoto/Portrait Place in various stores across south London.
I was a fully trained Photographer and therefore do have to dismiss that the pictures were all of poor quality as this was not always the case, some of us were actually good at our jobs.
The problem I had with this company is that they treat their staff like slaves. They paid us minimum wage to work 9 hour a day shifts. With children, which can be a very demanding and stressful job. They were very selective over when you got to take your holiday time. In other words, if it didn't fit in with their plans you weren't allowed it. I had to stay in London over Christmas on my own as they wouldn't allow me a day off either side of Christmas to travel to the south coast to be with my family.
They refused to raise my wages from minimum wage even when I got moved and started managing a poorly performing store, retraining the staff and everything. They kept me on minimum wage even though I was acting as manager there because they didn't have one.
Their staff turnover as a company is absolutely horrendous. As an example, say they start the tax year in April with 500 members of staff, by the following April they have employed a further 700, just to keep them at that 500 staff members. This is because people leave the company so quickly because of the way they are treated and the wage they are on.
The senior management staff as atrocious to the photographers and promoters. They gave us unrealistic targets to meet on how many bookings we had to get and how much money we had to take. It made our jobs and lives very stressful.
They spend so much money employing and training new staff because the old staff members keep leaving because of the way they are treated... the company cannot yet see that employing new members of staff actually costs more money than paying the existing staff members a decent wage.
Consequently I left Pixifoto almost exactly a year after starting my job there as I feared I would literally go insane if I carried on my job there.
LiamJamieTaylor

I used to be a Photographer at Pixifoto/Portrait Place in various stores … I used to be a Photographer at Pixifoto/Portrait Place in various stores across south London.I was a fully trained Photographer and therefore do have to dismiss that the pictures were all of poor quality as this was not always the case, some of us were actually good at our jobs. The problem I had with this company is that they treat their staff like slaves. They paid us minimum wage to work 9 hour a day shifts. With children, which can be a very demanding and stressful job. They were very selective over when you got to take your holiday time. In other words, if it didn't fit in with their plans you weren't allowed it. I had to stay in London over Christmas on my own as they wouldn't allow me a day off either side of Christmas to travel to the south coast to be with my family.They refused to raise my wages from minimum wage even when I got moved and started managing a poorly performing store, retraining the staff and everything. They kept me on minimum wage even though I was acting as manager there because they didn't have one. Their staff turnover as a company is absolutely horrendous. As an example, say they start the tax year in April with 500 members of staff, by the following April they have employed a further 700, just to keep them at that 500 staff members. This is because people leave the company so quickly because of the way they are treated and the wage they are on.The senior management staff as atrocious to the photographers and promoters. They gave us unrealistic targets to meet on how many bookings we had to get and how much money we had to take. It made our jobs and lives very stressful.They spend so much money employing and training new staff because the old staff members keep leaving because of the way they are treated... the company cannot yet see that employing new members of staff actually costs more money than paying the existing staff members a decent wage.Consequently I left Pixifoto almost exactly a year after starting my job there as I feared I would literally go insane if I carried on my job there.

Though for them people with photography skills were a bonus. It was basically a minimum wage sales job. Their incessant job advertisements also make it quite clear that photography skills are not required.

As well as people quitting, I got the impression they liked to get rid of the low performers through redundancies etc.
PIXI2013

Hi All, UK and Ireland PixiFoto is business as usual. No need for … Hi All, UK and Ireland PixiFoto is business as usual. No need for concernYes our Australian friends have lost their jobs and the administrators are dealing with everything. The comments on the page to spread the word and to be concerened to work with us , is silly and not true at all. If you have concerns and need to talk to us , contact our customer service and we will re assure you , that there is no issues in the UK and Ireland ... its business as usual. csd@photocorp.co.ukmany thanks

Well nobody can accuse the company of employing representatives with a basic understanding of written English.:(

I am not convinced by any of your statement.
I work for pixi in Newbury and have just been made redundant along with all my colleagues as they are closing our studio. They gave us less than 3 weeks notice and we were the last to know, mothercare staff knew before we did.
They have treated us appallingly and the way they treat their staff all over is disgusting.
It's no wander they are in trouble to be honest
Wow! Newbury closing already - not even 3 years open?!?! Mind you, they've always quickly opened and closed studios across the country with littel concern for the staff, depending on performances. LiamJamieTaylor, sounds like you had it bad, but it's a typical scenario; I know of several staff being promoted to management without pay rises and furthermore having to take on extra hours when their staff left ... they rely on gullible youths and desperate mothers to fill their vacancies.
I also worked for Pixifoto for 3 and half years, I was easily the most qualified with a degree in photography & previous experience, but like everyone else in here says that doesn't matter all that mattered to them was making over 1k a day, by any means - ripping people off, hiding prices dragging people in. We were not allowed by reginal management to book in aisans! If they came in and saw the surnames were aisan we faced disaplinary, even though these people got a bounty voucher to have a free picture we could only book them in between 3-4pm that was deemed 'aisan hour' were they would be rushed, given the worst service, there children laughed at and it was acceptable to be plain rude, management would even laugh with you.
I stayed through completeing my degree and did my best to change their ethics, it did not work. Even though we worked in mothercare, took photos of pregnant women, and new mums were the main customers - when I told them I was pregnant I was told I was half a person and practically useless now. I worked until 6 months gone, struggled as their policy is always no breaks in a 9 hour day to not eat or drink was too much, when I demanded a break - just a standard half hour lunch break that staff are not even paid for I might add - they cut my hours down to 8 per week from full time, I could not financially survive but they didn't care, I suffered the last 3 months of my pregnancy with bullying from management all over Facebook, taunting me & obviously put me under alot of strain.
This company don't care about the health of their staff, the equality laws or their customers, I am in a lawsuit with them at the moment waiting on the date of the trial and after that I plan to enlighten all the general public to this company as I have seen, can prove & know first hand how currupt they are. I hope by the end of the year they are in administration as the management reciece huge bonus company cars hotel breaks & more while staff earn mimimum wage have no breaks & suffer mentally, and customers are cared about even less - once they have your money it doesn't matter if you complain you will only be laughed at between staff and then told 'no refunds' AFTER you've paid. This is because people are always having new babies, so to them once your done its on to the next new family to rip off at the most volnerable time in their lives.
I was photographer with them too and my boyfriend was alway amazed at the stories I came home with ... so much so, he considered writing a screenplay about my time there, but his boss didn't believe half the stuff I told him. I've shown him this thread and he would love to read more experiences from pixi staff. I assure you, the poor studio staff would not be show in a bad light, as I loved the ones I worked with and the general feel will be humorous, but BITCHIE Love you all, studio pixis xx
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants