Groups

pizza delivery - tipping? a foreigner wants to know

Hi guys. In America it's customary to tip pizza delivery men - is it the same here, or do I not need to? If I should tip, is 10% about right?

Thanks in advance for any insights...

43 Comments

It's not customary

You don't have to.

If it came to say £15.50 i'd usually give them 16 and tell them to keep the change.

give them a tip......"get it here faster"

i usually give them a £ extra

[COLOR="Purple"]For any fast food delivery, I tip between 50p and £1 - I don't really know what's customary![/COLOR]

Supermod

Less cheese, more meat.
    I rarely tip. They get their wages. Its their job.

Dont tip them much

Say its like £19.50 give them a £20 note

Welcome to Britain prepare to be stabbed and mugged

I always tip about 25%

black gerbil1;2683194

I always tip about 25%

u mean thats how much they tip u:thumbsup:

black gerbil1;2683194

I always tip about 25%

prostitution doesnt count ont his thread

Tipping is more of an American thing hence in the UK its alot less common but people do it. I personally dont tip as its their job and they are doing nothing extra that isnt required of them.

Supermod

black gerbil1;2683194

I always tip about 25%

Pizza and takeaway on your strict regime!? Surely thats asking for trouble!!

you don't have to tip at all and you dont need to feel ashamed of not doing so but if i have extra change i usually tip between 50p-£1

manzi;2683210

Tipping is more of an American thing hence in the UK its alot less common … Tipping is more of an American thing hence in the UK its alot less common but people do it. I personally dont tip as its their job and they are doing nothing extra that isnt required of them.

tip in restaurents here though like TGI fridays or harvester

magicjay1986;2683214

Pizza and takeaway on your strict regime!? Surely thats asking for … Pizza and takeaway on your strict regime!? Surely thats asking for trouble!!

i mean to say i tip 25% anyway were i go.

dan i accepted ur xbox request....sorry to go off topic

Banned

Don't think I tip, but then I always pick the pizza up as it's loads cheaper.

magicjay1986;2683187

Less cheese, more meat.I rarely tip. They get their wages. Its their job.

A little harsh methinks.....I imagine most of them are probably on minimum wage and relying on the odd tip here and there to make the money up.

When I used to buy takeaway pizzas it was always a pound..... make my own now though, they're tastier,I know whats in them and I dont have to tip :thumbsup:

Btw as your american heres the lingo

Tea = Dinner or evening meal
    Cup of tea = cup of tea

We dont all talk posh

British = irsh - scotish - welsh and english
    If someone speaks english they will beat you for calling them british and same with the others

Dont tell any baseball jokes or use the term 7th inning stretch or plate as they will look at you weird

dont mention the american independence as frankly we dont even know of it
    dont say that you lot won ww2

and if you like lucky charms cereal its not sold here anymore and if you want it will have to go on ebay and pay £13 a box

we have oreos here though

Supermod

Monkeybumcheeks;2683271

A little harsh methinks.....I imagine most of them are probably on … A little harsh methinks.....I imagine most of them are probably on minimum wage and relying on the odd tip here and there to make the money up.When I used to buy takeaway pizzas it was always a pound..... make my own now though, they're tastier,I know whats in them and I dont have to tip :thumbsup:

I cant see how that is harsh? When you pay for the item you are paying for the companies staff, overheads and also the product.

Things are overpriced as they are. I am only looking after my pocket.

In the nicest possible way, it isnt my problem they are on minimum wage. I am not saying that in a selfish way; I am just stating my opinion.

I don't tip! They are paid to do that job. I pay by card so that i don't have to. There is a recession coming you know!

magicjay1986;2683351

I cant see how that is harsh? When you pay for the item you are paying … I cant see how that is harsh? When you pay for the item you are paying for the companies staff, overheads and also the product. Things are overpriced as they are. I am only looking after my pocket.

Greetings fellow pinkie ;-) :lol:

uk.youtube.com/wat…fxY

(*contains strong language*)

magicjay1986;2683351

I cant see how that is harsh? When you pay for the item you are paying … I cant see how that is harsh? When you pay for the item you are paying for the companies staff, overheads and also the product. Things are overpriced as they are. I am only looking after my pocket. In the nicest possible way, it isnt my problem they are on minimum wage. I am not saying that in a selfish way; I am just stating my opinion.

Exactly why I make my own in the first place.... Dominos (and the rest) have such vastly inflated prices - its a joke.

I did used to feel sorry for the poor ******* (who used turn up in all weathers) on the doorstep with my pizza though.:oops:

dandoc2;2683293

Btw as your american heres the lingo Tea = Dinner or evening mealCup of … Btw as your american heres the lingo Tea = Dinner or evening mealCup of tea = cup of tea We dont all talk posh British = irsh - scotish - welsh and english If someone speaks english they will beat you for calling them british and same with the othersDont tell any baseball jokes or use the term 7th inning stretch or plate as they will look at you weirddont mention the american independence as frankly we dont even know of it dont say that you lot won ww2and if you like lucky charms cereal its not sold here anymore and if you want it will have to go on ebay and pay £13 a box we have oreos here though

:oops::oops::oops:

dandoc2;2683293

Btw as your american heres the lingo Tea = Dinner or evening mealCup of … Btw as your american heres the lingo Tea = Dinner or evening mealCup of tea = cup of tea We dont all talk posh British = irsh - scotish - welsh and english If someone speaks english they will beat you for calling them british and same with the othersDont tell any baseball jokes or use the term 7th inning stretch or plate as they will look at you weirddont mention the american independence as frankly we dont even know of it dont say that you lot won ww2and if you like lucky charms cereal its not sold here anymore and if you want it will have to go on ebay and pay £13 a box we have oreos here though

Couldn't agree anymore with you Daniel..

Revolutionary war what?!?!?!:whistling::p

I only tip someone if they do an exceptional job, in the states, you get promises like free if it's not there in 10 minutes. not here. you order it from dominos, they say it'll take 40 minutes to an hour to arrive, then the driver phones you, in the middle of nowhere wanting directions to your house, before knocking on the back door, and then ringing my phone again cos I haven't answered cos I live in a second floor flat and he didn't bother to use the buzzer, i thien have to lug myself down 4 flights of steps to get the pizza and take it back up myself, by which point I think, well dominos tastes nicer, but frankly it would've been easier to whack a £2 one from adsa in the freezer.

so.. no tip. (usually pay by card over the phone first to avoid the whole mess, although you then have a fight when the order comes wrong so it's swings and roundabouts.

Shengis;2683408

Greetings fellow pinkie ;-) … Greetings fellow pinkie ;-) :lol:http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XgBGRfSvfxY(*contains strong language*)

great clip, cheers ;-)

(wish Tarantino still did films like RD, *i* think he has lost his way / gone downhill since Pulp Fiction...)

I have always wondered is it just HUKD that people don't think its customary to tipping in England? Afterall, this is a money saving website where some of us might think saving on tips could be like getting 10% off the pizzas.

dandoc2;2683293

and if you like lucky charms cereal its not sold here anymore and if you … and if you like lucky charms cereal its not sold here anymore and if you want it will have to go on ebay and pay £13 a box

i loved those when i was iccle :w00t:

as someone who used to pizza deliver ...and a customer i always try and tip 50p . I used to work from 5 and shop shut at 2am , mop swept up, left at 3 am ....pay 35£ plus tips . Used my own car and paid my own petrol ( i was a student at the time like so only way i could make cash in hand)

I know someone who does this now who gets £5 and hour for 7-1 on a friday + tips

Monkeybumcheeks;2683271

A little harsh methinks.....I imagine most of them are probably on … A little harsh methinks.....I imagine most of them are probably on minimum wage and relying on the odd tip here and there to make the money up.

You say this, but how many people work in Tesco, or the Co-op, they too are probably on minimum wage, but no one leaves those poor people a tip, they probably need it more than the delivery drivers who more often than not hold a pizza driving job for EXTRA income of an evening.

Mike..

I thought Tesco paid quite well?? Actually I would only round up on a tip to a fast food delivery driver £16.40, give £17 for example. Thinking though, what about other deliveries? you wouldnt for example tip a furniture delivery person or your Tesco shopping delivery man

MikeBeaver;2688532

You say this, but how many people work in Tesco, or the Co-op, they too … You say this, but how many people work in Tesco, or the Co-op, they too are probably on minimum wage, but no one leaves those poor people a tip, they probably need it more than the delivery drivers who more often than not hold a pizza driving job for EXTRA income of an evening.Mike..

And whats wrong with that. ??????
    Bit different to stacking shelves , sometimes the drivers take your order , make your order and take your order driving sometimes to the edge of the street ...having to walk in the rain, cold etc .
    Have you ever done it before ????:whistling:

I wouldnt do it but the metality some of the family in Liverpool is , if your a regular , tipping them puts you in their good books and they are handling your food !!!!!!!:thumbsup::whistling:

i would tip if they got it here within the hour, but they dont

magicjay1986;2683187

Less cheese, more meat.I rarely tip. They get their wages. Its their job.

http://www.pubdef.net/uploaded_images/ReservoirChris-780523.jpg

nice guy eddie

I don't even know a fuppin' Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me … I don't even know a fuppin' Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?

dandoc2;2683293

The UK passport would question your definition of Britishness.

alnbowes;2688472

as someone who used to pizza deliver ...and a customer i always try and … as someone who used to pizza deliver ...and a customer i always try and tip 50p . I used to work from 5 and shop shut at 2am , mop swept up, left at 3 am ....pay 35£ plus tips . Used my own car and paid my own petrol ( i was a student at the time like so only way i could make cash in hand)I know someone who does this now who gets £5 and hour for 7-1 on a friday + tips

And what insurance did you have for your car?
    Was it business? or just social, domestic and pleasure?

I bet the company didn't check / care .
    :whistling:

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies and interesting comments! I think I will probably go the route of tipping 50p - £1. I guess the money-saving way would be to make my own pizza like some of you, but Pizza Hut pizza reminds me of home. It is cheaper to dine out / order out in the States and my family and I were Pizza Hut regulars. English Pizza Huts skimp on the sauce, though :(. I should write a letter.

Monkeybumcheeks;2683271

A little harsh methinks.....I imagine most of them are probably on … A little harsh methinks.....I imagine most of them are probably on minimum wage and relying on the odd tip here and there to make the money up.When I used to buy takeaway pizzas it was always a pound..... make my own now though, they're tastier,I know whats in them and I dont have to tip :thumbsup:

Why does someone delivering food deserve a tip?

Why does nobody tip someone of importance.. I never bloody get tipped and I get a **** wage, I get so much abuse aswell

Chia;2715034

Thanks everyone for your replies and interesting comments! I think I will … Thanks everyone for your replies and interesting comments! I think I will probably go the route of tipping 50p - £1. I guess the money-saving way would be to make my own pizza like some of you, but Pizza Hut pizza reminds me of home. It is cheaper to dine out / order out in the States and my family and I were Pizza Hut regulars. English Pizza Huts skimp on the sauce, though :(. I should write a letter.

Oh deaer you have made your first mistake.

its British Pizza Huts not ENGLISH ones, Englands only one country in the UK.

Original Poster

ryouga;2715066

Oh deaer you have made your first mistake.its British Pizza Huts not … Oh deaer you have made your first mistake.its British Pizza Huts not ENGLISH ones, Englands only one country in the UK.

No, I know...I only said "English" because all the British Pizza Huts I have tried have been in England. Maybe the other countries are more generous with the sauce? Probably not, though...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Swarovski styling mirror from Hadleigh.11
      2. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1145
      3. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64556
      4. Win Swarovski earrings with OK magazine11

See more discussions