Pizza size...better to go large than small for best value

Found 7th Feb
A team from vouchercloud.com looked at every size and topping combination available from five of Britain's biggest takeaway pizza brands: Domino's, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Pizza Express and Pizza GoGo. There were 249 pizzas in total.

Researchers then took the average cost for each size from each brand.

This average price was then used to calculate the average cost per inch for each size of pizza from each of the six companies.

The results show that a 14in pizza from Pizza Express, which costs an average of £12.93, is the best value for money, working out at 10p per square inch.

Meanwhile the most expensive offering is a small 8in pizza from Papa John's Pizza, which at an average of £14.53 is the equivalent of 30p per square inch.

Findings also reveal that Domino's diners should plump for a 7in 'personal' pizza rather 9.5in 'small' if they want to get the best value for money for a smaller meal.

This is because the average 'personal' pizza costs £6.56, while the average 'small' pizza costs £13.42 - more than twice as much.

Customers could buy two 'personal' pizzas for £13.12, get more pizzas and still save 30p.

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/fem…tml
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Community Updates
MiscGroceries
Top comments
Simplez

Best value = Make you own. (freebie ones aside)
Blimay, nearly 13 quid for a cup of grated cheese, tomato paste and a few olives on a bread base. Iv'e gone dizzy.
53 Comments
Simplez

Best value = Make you own. (freebie ones aside)
I would never have guessed.
Light news day?
Saturn3 m ago

Light news day?

ha ha, yeah brah.
isnt that the same for everything?
Yes. Pizza hut ate best
Not full of sugar like some others I find
Edited by: "wayners" 7th Feb
Team of researchers to do maths that 11 year old school kids could do? Impressive

Anyways article could be a lot shorter by comparing price of the pizza you want and keeping the following in mind.

The area of a pizza is 4x the size of the pizza half its diameter.
7" pizza area = 4x 3.5" pizza area

Also, the area of 2 pizzas is the same size as a pizza (sqroot)2 times its diameter.
2x 7" pizza area = (sqroot)2 x 7" = 9.9" pizza area
Edited by: "mug51" 7th Feb
This doesnt take into account special offers i see...

You are better buying (collecting) 2 personal pizzas (7") from dominoes - they are currently BOGOF - instead of buying one small (11"?) pizza.
Cost me £6.50 instead of £9.99
Blimay, nearly 13 quid for a cup of grated cheese, tomato paste and a few olives on a bread base. Iv'e gone dizzy.
I believe in cheese on toast (add tomato paste and a sprinkle of scraps), for less than 20p per slice.

Much better for the eco, saves packaging, NO and CO emissions, reduced BMI (Body Mass Index) as cheese on toast is on demand at home rather than forced-to-eat-all-while-it-is-hot, less workers on working tax credits, less wastage of valuable retail rental space.
£5 notes will stack up at home at a rate of an inch every quarter as opposed to paying out 10-30p per sq. inch (as per survey).
Edited by: "splender" 7th Feb
mug513 h, 31 m ago

Team of researchers to do maths that 11 year old school kids could do? …Team of researchers to do maths that 11 year old school kids could do? Impressive Anyways article could be a lot shorter by comparing price of the pizza you want and keeping the following in mind.The area of a pizza is 4x the size of the pizza half its diameter. 7" pizza area = 4x 3.5" pizza areaAlso, the area of 2 pizzas is the same size as a pizza (sqroot)2 times its diameter. 2x 7" pizza area = (sqroot)2 x 7" = 9.9" pizza area

Think you should get your own team of researchers to tell you the correct way to work out the area of a circle....
latics3311 m ago

Think you should get your own team of researchers to tell you the correct …Think you should get your own team of researchers to tell you the correct way to work out the area of a circle....

To be fair, I think he may have a stuffed crust.
mug515 h, 55 m ago

Team of researchers to do maths that 11 year old school kids could do? …Team of researchers to do maths that 11 year old school kids could do? Impressive Anyways article could be a lot shorter by comparing price of the pizza you want and keeping the following in mind.The area of a pizza is 4x the size of the pizza half its diameter. 7" pizza area = 4x 3.5" pizza areaAlso, the area of 2 pizzas is the same size as a pizza (sqroot)2 times its diameter. 2x 7" pizza area = (sqroot)2 x 7" = 9.9" pizza area

Even a tart with little education knows value for money of a tart is better calculated by weight or next best is by cup volume.

These thick as two short planks researchers are best deployed in next assignment to value pork pies by area and then tell exceedingly porky to their Daily Mail readers.
Edited by: "splender" 8th Feb
splender9 h, 3 m ago

I believe in cheese on toast (add tomato paste and a sprinkle of scraps), …I believe in cheese on toast (add tomato paste and a sprinkle of scraps), for less than 20p per slice. Much better for the eco, saves packaging, NO and CO emissions, reduced BMI (Body Mass Index) as cheese on toast is on demand at home rather than forced-to-eat-all-while-it-is-hot, less workers on working tax credits, less wastage of valuable retail rental space. £5 notes will stack up at home at a rate of an inch every quarter as opposed to paying out 10-30p per sq. inch (as per survey).

And I thought I had issues when choosing what to eat
Edited by: "OllieSt" 8th Feb
latics337 h, 51 m ago

Think you should get your own team of researchers to tell you the correct …Think you should get your own team of researchers to tell you the correct way to work out the area of a circle....

those are based on knowing how to calculate the area and simple indices manipulation
ofc the first one is ultimately useless unless you know anywhere that sells pizzas that are in appropriate diameters
second is handy for a romantic yet efficient shared pizza meal
Cheese on toast is good, but if you want better get some Nann bread, slap some chopped tomatoes with tomato paste & herbs, cheese and whatever you want (I freeze pepperoni slices in small batches in greaseproof paper so always available), 10 mins in oven. Kids love decorating them (and eating them) quick an easy meal.
mug5111 h, 29 m ago

The area of a circle is =pi r²

The site doesn't allow foreign characters so no real pi for you.
Researchers never heard of discount codes & vouchers then, not that I buy pizzas out. If I get a takeaway, it has to be something that I couldn't easily make myself so Chinese, Indian, KFC. Pizza & Coffee shops astound me, but then I am relatively poor.
latics337 h, 59 m ago

He is using it to compare 2 different circles rather than the diameter of one circle i think.
splender5 h, 58 m ago

Even a tart with little education knows value for money of a tart is …Even a tart with little education knows value for money of a tart is better calculated by weight or next best is by cup volume.These thick as two short planks researchers are best deployed in next assignment to value pork pies by area and then tell exceedingly porky to their Daily Mail readers.

Splendid post. Well done for clarifying and not trolling.
davewave28 m ago

Splendid post. Well done for clarifying and not trolling.

Thank you again, haha.
splender6 h, 55 m ago

Even a tart with little education knows value for money of a tart is …Even a tart with little education knows value for money of a tart is better calculated by weight or next best is by cup volume.These thick as two short planks researchers are best deployed in next assignment to value pork pies by area and then tell exceedingly porky to their Daily Mail readers.

Well-educated tarts charge more per hour, though.

Erm... so I believe.
fanpages1 h, 4 m ago

Well-educated tarts charge more per hour, though.Erm... so I believe.

CoeK2 h, 5 m ago

The area of a circle is =pi r²The site doesn't allow foreign characters so …The area of a circle is =pi r²The site doesn't allow foreign characters so no real pi for you.

brilly2 h, 11 m ago

those are based on knowing how to calculate the area and simple indices …those are based on knowing how to calculate the area and simple indices manipulationofc the first one is ultimately useless unless you know anywhere that sells pizzas that are in appropriate diameterssecond is handy for a romantic yet efficient shared pizza meal

latics3310 h, 3 m ago

mug5113 h, 34 m ago

kevlfc15 h, 39 m ago

isnt that the same for everything?

Here is my bombshell, after a day.

Any tart off the street could and would have said, "better to go large than small for best value using the diameter (length) without all the palaver of area calculations".

She knows because of her clients' length and width, that's enough data without getting her calculator out which is a turn-off.

But if you want to go anal(ysis) about it, then it is, area is a function of the diameter, therefore value of a pizza is a function of the diameter, area as well as volume. This is to say, all Daily Mail researcher had to do was £ per inch comparison because price is directly in proportion to diameter as well as area (ignoring height, density and quality of toppings). This goes to show what education these researchers have had, less understanding in maths than some 11-year old at 11 plus and possibly less than 5 year olds under the Montessori system (plus EYFS too).

33223265-tnuYR.jpg
splender8 h, 1 m ago

Even a tart with ..... a tart is better ,,,,, by cup volume......

Two tarts : One cup?
Saturn6 m ago

Two tarts : One cup?

Even a baby knows value is in the cupfuls and not a lady flat as a pizza.
splender3 m ago

Even a baby knows value is in the cupfuls and not a lady flat as a pizza.

Not sure that you get my reference, Splender. However some things are best not known, and I wouldn't recommend any research.
Saturn6 m ago

Not sure that you get my reference, Splender. However some things are best …Not sure that you get my reference, Splender. However some things are best not known, and I wouldn't recommend any research.

I am not sure if I did, however, it is best left to one's imagination in adjectival use.
Edited by: "splender" 8th Feb
latics3311 h, 1 m ago

Think I got my calculations correct. Happily to be corrected if I'm wrong though.33223614-bIUkP.jpgTo add to the last point, quicker way to get diameter as I suggested in my initial post was to multiply 7 by root2 = 9.89
mug5115 h, 30 m ago

mug5156 m ago

Think I got my calculations correct. Happily to be corrected if I'm wrong …Think I got my calculations correct. Happily to be corrected if I'm wrong though.[Image] To add to the last point, quicker way to get diameter as I suggested in my initial post was to multiply 7 by root2 = 9.89

I think your wording is wrong:-

It is not as you said:-

Also, the area of 2 pizzas is the same size as a pizza (sqroot)2 times its diameter.
2x 7" pizza area = (sqroot)2 x 7" = 9.9" pizza area

but is this, one way of expressing correctly:

The wording is: the diameter of an area twice the smaller area is the square root of twice of "A", where "A" is square of the smaller area's diameter.

diameter of pizza that's twice the area of the area of a single 7" pizza = Sq Root ( 2 X 7" X 7") = 9.899"

Which leads me to allege:-

How can anyone who already knows the value of a pizza is simply expressed by its diameter without using area calculations, can ever trust the wordsmithing of those researchers and news report, who do not know simply the cause and effect of a pizza (diameter is the simple cause of the effect of its value).
splender3 m ago

I think your wording is wrong:-It is not as you said:-Also, the area of 2 …I think your wording is wrong:-It is not as you said:-Also, the area of 2 pizzas is the same size as a pizza (sqroot)2 times its diameter. 2x 7" pizza area = (sqroot)2 x 7" = 9.9" pizza areabut is this, one way of expressing correctly:The wording is: the diameter of an area twice the smaller area is the square root of twice of "A", where "A" is square of the smaller area's diameter.diameter of pizza that's twice the area of the area of a single 7" pizza = Sq Root ( 2 X 7" X 7") = 9.899"Which leads me to allege:-How can anyone who already knows the value of a pizza is simply expressed by its diameter without using area calculations, can ever trust the wordsmithing of those researchers and news report, who do not know simply the cause and effect of a pizza (diameter is the simple cause of the effect of its value).

you really know how to calculate the area of a circle, Splendid
davewave9 m ago

you really know how to calculate the area of a circle, Splendid

Nooooooooooooooooooooo, we are going round in circles!

One arrives at the desired value simply using the diameter (of a pizza) without using the AREA of a circle!
That's what everyone does when buying a pizza.

If you really want to calculate, one just divide price with diameter to compare.
splender44 m ago

Nooooooooooooooooooooo, we are going round in circles! One arrives at the …Nooooooooooooooooooooo, we are going round in circles! One arrives at the desired value simply using the diameter (of a pizza) without using the AREA of a circle!That's what everyone does when buying a pizza. If you really want to calculate, one just divide price with diameter to compare.

but what about the toppings arent they in the area?
davewave58 m ago

but what about the toppings arent they in the area?

They are not in the area, they are on the area, toppings add to the height which adds to the volume. That's another gross area of the research, the clever experts at Daily Mail and the editor forgot the height (of the pizza), the height is what the teeth sink into. That's a systemic failure of reporting. Makes them as smart as Diare Abbott's maths.
splender21 m ago

They are not in the area, they are on the area, toppings add to the height …They are not in the area, they are on the area, toppings add to the height which adds to the volume. That's another gross area of the research, the clever experts at Daily Mail and the editor forgot the height (of the pizza), the height is what the teeth sink into. That's a systemic failure of reporting. Makes them as smart as Diare Abbott's maths.

You really are an expert at circles.
davewave5 m ago

You really are an expert at circles.

Thank you again. I am humbled by this accolade as this is just child's play skill.
splender17 m ago

Thank you again. I am humbled by this accolade as this is just child's …Thank you again. I am humbled by this accolade as this is just child's play skill.

ah 'child's play', makes sense now.
splender7 h, 27 m ago

I think your wording is wrong

Got you.

The following was what was intended.
2x 7" pizza area = [(sqroot)2 x 7"] pizza area = 9.9" pizza area
Loving splender correcting the use of English.

You couldn't make it up!
mug5136 m ago

Got you. The following was what was intended.2x 7" pizza area = [(sqroot)2 …Got you. The following was what was intended.2x 7" pizza area = [(sqroot)2 x 7"] pizza area = 9.9" pizza area

you left out a times 7 , should be √(2X7²)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions