Groups

Places to go in Devon

I have a friend over from Holland at the moment and she wants to go to the sea. Where in Devon is good and no more than an hour from Weston-super-mare?

anyone have any recommendations? (i think it limits me as far as Exeter time wise)

13 Comments

beach

Mod & Ed

Try Lynton/Lynmouth area on the edge of Exmoor National Park, or Braunton Sands a few miles further on exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk/ind…htm

You should just about be able to make Woolacombe, Croyde, Saunton Sands in NW Devon. These beaches knock spots off South Devon but can get busy at this time of year.

I'm assuming you want sandy beaches ?? If not post again and I'll guide you to some other coastal beauty spots in N & NW Devon.

Posts above mine were not there when I posted.

Original Poster

I was thinking kind of Exmouth as its about an hour and a quarter due to the motorway. would have loved woolacoombe but because of the roads it means it is about 2 hours away Is Exmouth any good?

Woolacombe is nice if you want to go to a beach. Ilfracombe isnt too bad for a wander around the rocky coastline.

Jetpac

I was thinking kind of Exmouth as its about an hour and a quarter due to … I was thinking kind of Exmouth as its about an hour and a quarter due to the motorway. would have loved woolacoombe but because of the roads it means it is about 2 hours away Is Exmouth any good?

You don't say what kind of beach environment you want ?? Tell us more

Exmouth is not everyones cup of tea, personally I don't like it at all but it has access. IMO you might as wel stay at WSM though if you're going there ?

I wouldn't bother with Exmouth; I don't think the town is very nice really, and the beach is OK but not amazing. You could try Starcross or Dawlish; Dawlish (not Dawlish Warren, although that is all right if you bypass the arcades) is quite a nice little town with a nice seafront.

Ladram Bay and Sidmouth are both nice and not too much further from Exmouth, they are not sandy though.

....try this place, it's right on the estuary and it's beautiful. Not too far down the motorway from WSM.

turfpub.net/
    Edited by: "studentessa" 29th Jul 2010

Supermod

Do not visit:

Exmouth
    Torquay

If you really want to impress your friend take them to Salcombe. Its a beautiful area.

If you have some spare time bring them to Exeter and show them the Cathedral, St Nicholas Priory, Underground Passages and Rougemont Castle.

Exeter is a beautiful, beautiful City.

Supermod

studentessa

I wouldn't bother with Exmouth; I don't think the town is very nice … I wouldn't bother with Exmouth; I don't think the town is very nice really, and the beach is OK but not amazing. You could try Starcross or Dawlish; Dawlish (not Dawlish Warren, although that is all right if you bypass the arcades) is quite a nice little town with a nice seafront.Ladram Bay and Sidmouth are both nice and not too much further from Exmouth, they are not sandy though.

Dawlish is not great. Very tourist orientated and Salcombe is much, much nicer.

The only thing is Salcombe takes a while to get to, that's all. Great place to go sailing though if your friend is into that sort of thing. I totally agree with magicjay , Dawlish and Salcombe are poles apart and the latter is well worth the extra time in the car. Dartmouth is also nice.

Equally, Exeter certainly is beautiful, although if you are in Weston, Bath is also a good option for a day out just as it's closer.

Supermod

studentessa

The only thing is Salcombe takes a while to get to, that's all. Great … The only thing is Salcombe takes a while to get to, that's all. Great place to go sailing though if your friend is into that sort of thing. I totally agree with magicjay , Dawlish and Salcombe are poles apart and the latter is well worth the extra time in the car. Dartmouth is also nice. Equally, Exeter certainly is beautiful, although if you are in Weston, Bath is also a good option for a day out just as it's closer.

I also like Starcross as my nan lives there!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …88150
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?30115
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764501
      4. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2226

See more discussions