Plan to build a shed / workshop

Posted 20th Sep
Anyone have any plan / drawings on shed or workshops. Most interested in cutting or material list to be able to order them. I don't need anyone telling me it's cheaper to buy one - but I know you will ;-)
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

28 Comments
Plenty online and especially on you tube. I wont tell you to buy one as I wouldn't ever have a wooden shed no matter how cheap it was, a good properly insulated and vented steal shed/workshop is the way to go. Lasts longer, looks better, can wire it for electricity, don't have to worry about wood treatment or insect damage, if its properly insulated and vented your tools will be much safer there than in a wooden shed.... list of pros are endless.
Edited by: "Donkii" 20th Sep
What sort of size are you after?
esar20/09/2019 10:51

Something like this could prove …Something like this could prove usefulhttps://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362692767344

Huh? He wants to build a shed not a house.

I'm split between agreeing and disagreeing with the above post about a metal shed. I agree metal will last longer but it will also make you garden look like an industrial unit. Maybe a metal shed with fake wood cladding.
666FU20/09/2019 11:06

Huh? He wants to build a shed not a house.I'm split between agreeing and …Huh? He wants to build a shed not a house.I'm split between agreeing and disagreeing with the above post about a metal shed. I agree metal will last longer but it will also make you garden look like an industrial unit. Maybe a metal shed with fake wood cladding.

We'll, he did kinda say "workshop" too
I built a large shed a few years ago out of pallets and second hand DG units, only thing I bought was metal corrugated roofing and cladding for the outside.

I just did a rough sketch with measurements and changed anything that needed doing along the way I really enjoyed doy it too.

It's still standing strong today, it's cool in the summer and warm in the winter which surprised me with it having a metal roof.
deleted1523363
EndlessWaves20/09/2019 10:48

What sort of size are you after?

I got a space 15ft x 15ft so whatever fits in there that over 10 x 6 I think that's the minimum. But I could go for 2 of that size, one for work and one for tools.
deleted1523363
666FU20/09/2019 11:06

Huh? He wants to build a shed not a house.I'm split between agreeing and …Huh? He wants to build a shed not a house.I'm split between agreeing and disagreeing with the above post about a metal shed. I agree metal will last longer but it will also make you garden look like an industrial unit. Maybe a metal shed with fake wood cladding.

I don't want metal I want to build it myself.
deleted1523363
esar20/09/2019 10:51

Something like this could prove …Something like this could prove usefulhttps://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362692767344

Ha Ha ! well I will be buiding a brick subframe to sit the shed on but I'm capable of doing that with the tools I have thanks.
deleted1523363
Donkii20/09/2019 10:38

Plenty online and especially on you tube. I wont tell you to buy one as I …Plenty online and especially on you tube. I wont tell you to buy one as I wouldn't ever have a wooden shed no matter how cheap it was, a good properly insulated and vented steal shed/workshop is the way to go. Lasts longer, looks better, can wire it for electricity, don't have to worry about wood treatment or insect damage, if its properly insulated and vented your tools will be much safer there than in a wooden shed.... list of pros are endless.

I did look at containers, the thinking being I could tart it up with cladding but a) you would need a craine to get it in and b) I want to build it myself. And I assure you it will last longer than a metal shed and it'll have power.
Fair enough, everyone has an opinion.
damn it Mod,s holding up my comment because of a perfectly legitimate word being used!
So try again.FFS...

So Mods..

Chaldean Numerology

The numerical value of this word in Chaldean Numerology is: 8

It does not necessarily, soley refer to a child born out of wedlock..

It can also mean to cheapen & alter, especially in reference to art.

OP, How about you check out a slightly knackered second hand cold storage unit (with floor) ..they are tongue & groove panels so quite easy to adapt for a warm ventilated shed with electrical hook up, line out the outside & reinforce the roof by making one over the steel & insulation sandwich panels.
No craning in required.
EBAY & also the cladding warehouse might help there!
deleted1523363
Mr_Gus20/09/2019 12:32

damn it Mod,s holding up my comment because of a perfectly legitimate word …damn it Mod,s holding up my comment because of a perfectly legitimate word being used! So try again.FFS...So Mods..Chaldean NumerologyThe numerical value of this word in Chaldean Numerology is: 8It does not necessarily, soley refer to a child born out of wedlock..It can also mean to cheapen & alter, especially in reference to art.OP, How about you check out a slightly knackered second hand cold storage unit (with floor) ..they are tongue & groove panels so quite easy to adapt for a warm ventilated shed with electrical hook up, line out the outside & reinforce the roof by making one over the steel & insulation sandwich panels.No craning in required.EBAY & also the cladding warehouse might help there!

Interesting, but the power source will be solar and one of the reasons I want to build it is for power storage under the floor rather than taking up space in the shed.
deleted152336320/09/2019 12:54

Interesting, but the power source will be solar and one of the reasons I …Interesting, but the power source will be solar and one of the reasons I want to build it is for power storage under the floor rather than taking up space in the shed.

Then battery maintainance is best carried out on pre-made shelving esp if it is L/A.

Also temperature adversely affects batteries, so you might want insulated, ventilated, fire-proofing & acid / corrosion resistance via metal shelving, are you using fork truck batts?
deleted1523363
Mr_Gus20/09/2019 12:57

Then battery maintainance is best carried out on pre-made shelving esp if …Then battery maintainance is best carried out on pre-made shelving esp if it is L/A.Also temperature adversely affects batteries, so you might want insulated, ventilated, fire-proofing & acid / corrosion resistance via metal shelving, are you using fork truck batts?

The shed will sit on a sub base of brick walls, could improve ventilation with air bricks but not got too far into that yet. I was thinking our caravan batts but we'll see. Can't do a lot because waiting to get the keys to the property. One of the first things we'll do then is get in a company for a quote on ground heating system for the cottage. With luck that'll include solar to power and I'll be able to at least pick up some tricks if not equipment :-) In an ideal world we'll get the cottage & shed working off the same power storage system.
erm.... go READ up on navitron renewables forum, we've covered this in depth & you might want to speak to biff & the likes.
Donkii20/09/2019 10:38

Plenty online and especially on you tube. I wont tell you to buy one as I …Plenty online and especially on you tube. I wont tell you to buy one as I wouldn't ever have a wooden shed no matter how cheap it was, a good properly insulated and vented steal shed/workshop is the way to go. Lasts longer, looks better, can wire it for electricity, don't have to worry about wood treatment or insect damage, if its properly insulated and vented your tools will be much safer there than in a wooden shed.... list of pros are endless.

Who knew you can't wire a wooden shed for electricity? Every day is a school day.
deleted1523363
Mr_Gus20/09/2019 13:11

erm.... go READ up on navitron renewables forum, we've covered this in …erm.... go READ up on navitron renewables forum, we've covered this in depth & you might want to speak to biff & the likes.

Thanks, I'll take a look. Always wise to read up as much as possible to save getting ripped off.
decent real life of GSHP installs, ASHP, Battery via forks, 18650 etc..

You need a lot of room for GSHP, or if you are going to do a thermal heat bore, a lot of money, drill access etc.
If you have space then can it be ploughed up?

How far is the shed cable run (losses) from the house etc ..those guys are experienced where project plant rooms are concerned.

The idea of having to crane out heavy batteries from a LEAK PROOF floor space frightens me as to the amount of potential injury you may do yourself.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 20th Sep
deleted1523363
Mr_Gus20/09/2019 13:19

decent real life of GSHP installs, ASHP, Battery via forks, 18650 etc..You …decent real life of GSHP installs, ASHP, Battery via forks, 18650 etc..You need a lot of room for GSHP, or if you are going to do a thermal heat bore, a lot of money, drill access etc.If you have space then can it be ploughed up?How far is the shed cable run (losses) from the house etc ..those guys are experienced where project plant rooms are concerned.The idea of having to crane out heavy batteries from a LEAK PROOF floor space frightens me as to the amount of potential injury you may do yourself.

We have the room for a thermal bore. At the moment I treating shed as an independent project with it's own power source from solar. That's enough to run a light and a power a hand tool with one simple batt. The rest relies I me really, at the moment I'm leaning towards retiring to just pot around making the odd item out of wood, renovate furniture etc. So it doesn't need to be that advanced for the shed.

We'll get a quote for the thermal bore with heat exchanger. Depending on that quote will say if we go for a £5-10k power storage system to do all the electricity. We have a lump sum and plan is reducing future bills to a minimum. So we either save the lump sum towards paying the bills in our retirement or use the lump sum now. Power bills are only going one way and the are grants now for this sort of thing that offsets the cost in the first 7 years. Even if we cuts the bill by 50% for 7 years we would be saving over £7k. I think this is the way people will need to go soon. I think we are not that far off all new builds having this sort of setup. Unfortunatly before we can start we have prove we've done everything to bring the eff rating down. Hence I can't get to far along till I get that rating done.
There "was" a good deal on the rarely done deep thermal bore by david nicholson cole, he had a whole blog on the thing some of it got a tad argumentative as to readouts & returns (locations of temp controllers) & stuff, but gives an idea.

I like the bigger canadian Drake landing myself! feeding the whole site with additional solar & gas.

Not to be confused with GSHP which isn't deep bore, but is costly enough.
deleted1523363
Mr_Gus20/09/2019 15:03

There "was" a good deal on the rarely done deep thermal bore by david …There "was" a good deal on the rarely done deep thermal bore by david nicholson cole, he had a whole blog on the thing some of it got a tad argumentative as to readouts & returns (locations of temp controllers) & stuff, but gives an idea.I like the bigger canadian Drake landing myself! feeding the whole site with additional solar & gas.Not to be confused with GSHP which isn't deep bore, but is costly enough.

No gas in the village at all. GSHP and solar are really the only option. Wind would give enough and as it's a conservation area it just makes it a nighmare. If we can get the bore in where I want it I might have a cunning plan to make it more do'able. I want to bring down the level of the land by about 4ft so take that off and bore down does two jobs in one :-)
I was referring to the gas for drake landing (its a great set up on that housing estate in a very exposed plain).

Wind is a "kettle of fish" on a micro level, unless you have lots of acreage, paddock, field etc & no nearby tree's / buildings to create turbulance, likely a no no realistically, however if you have a mind to... how about a ground based solar array that doubles as a workshop, (ie build one into the other, connections & uprights) etc then use lightweight material & cladding to form a cosy useable workshop around it whilst keeping the generation gubbins separate as per likely required regs?

Likely if its all conservation area a member of navitron may well have experience there also (some certainly have).
deleted1523363
Mr_Gus20/09/2019 16:30

I was referring to the gas for drake landing (its a great set up on that …I was referring to the gas for drake landing (its a great set up on that housing estate in a very exposed plain).Wind is a "kettle of fish" on a micro level, unless you have lots of acreage, paddock, field etc & no nearby tree's / buildings to create turbulance, likely a no no realistically, however if you have a mind to... how about a ground based solar array that doubles as a workshop, (ie build one into the other, connections & uprights) etc then use lightweight material & cladding to form a cosy useable workshop around it whilst keeping the generation gubbins separate as per likely required regs?Likely if its all conservation area a member of navitron may well have experience there also (some certainly have).

Yes array is an idea, biggest problem the moment is getting the sale though. It's been 9 weeks now and the sols are peddling trickle to each other.
you are aware of "second sol" yes?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants