Planet Coaster on Intel HD Graphics 2500

Found 25th Jun 2016
My friend has a Zoostorm PC with a Intel i5-3330 Ivy Bridge 3.0GHz CPU. They would like to get the alpha of the upcoming rollercoaster simulation game Planet Coaster, but my friend isn't sure if the current inbuilt graphics would be suitable.

The desktop has a stock 300W PSU and Intel HD Graphics 2500 controller and the developers recommend a Nvidia GTX 560 / ATI Radeon 7850 2GB GPU. We don't know if this is referring to GDDR3 or 5. Would the current inbuilt graphics be suitable or is a upgrade to a dedicated graphics card needed, if so, please could someone recommend what to buy.

Thanks in advance

bev1505

11 Comments

intel hd 2500 is nowhere near a 560 or 7850 and you could find that out with a 3 second google search

are those the minimum requirements? if so youll probably need to get an r9 270 or above for AMD or a gtx950 or above for Nvidia

you might get away with a GTX750Ti if its a 2GB OC card

The 2500 is no where remotely near a GTX560, he'll need to buy a separate graphics card.

honestly, your best bet is to ask the developers. they are the only one who will be able to tell you. I would say, give it a go, give the developers feedback and then look for a dedicated GPU.

bensimmo

honestly, your best bet is to ask the developers. they are the only one … honestly, your best bet is to ask the developers. they are the only one who will be able to tell you. I would say, give it a go, give the developers feedback and then look for a dedicated GPU.

​just to add a quick look and they have a community a forum and a Facebook/Twitter page among other things. I really doubt a Hot Deals site will know the game inside out compared to the people directly involved or talking about it

bensimmo

​just to add a quick look and they have a community a forum and a F … ​just to add a quick look and they have a community a forum and a Facebook/Twitter page among other things. I really doubt a Hot Deals site will know the game inside out compared to the people directly involved or talking about it

It's pretty obvious that an inbuilt graphics chip designed for basic media playback won't work when they recommend a minimum requirement of a mid range fairly decent graphics card that probably has 10x the power of the one OP is asking about. You don't need to bug the devs over something that is immediately obvious.

dcx_badass

It's pretty obvious that an inbuilt graphics chip designed for basic … It's pretty obvious that an inbuilt graphics chip designed for basic media playback won't work when they recommend a minimum requirement of a mid range fairly decent graphics card that probably has 10x the power of the one OP is asking about.

It's only obvious if you know all those facts about the cards to begin with.

The 7850 requirement does appear to be a minimum:
forums.planetcoaster.com/sho…ead

In terms of a new card it depends on the timescale for the Alpha. If he's not going to get access for a couple of months then I'd recommend waiting for the new RX 470 and RX 460 cards to show up as they'll be substantially faster at the same price. If he needs it now then I'd pick up an R7 360 for £85-90.

dcx_badass

It's pretty obvious that an inbuilt graphics chip designed for basic … It's pretty obvious that an inbuilt graphics chip designed for basic media playback won't work when they recommend a minimum requirement of a mid range fairly decent graphics card that probably has 10x the power of the one OP is asking about. You don't need to bug the devs over something that is immediately obvious.

To you and me it is, to the OP obviously not. The best place to ask and look for answers to a specific game is the devolopers and their community. Not a community of bargain hunters.
I know which card is faster, I do not know if it will actually run on a slower spec setup to that recommended so the OP can have a look at the game.

I would always ask the developers/developers community, it's them who wish to make the game and make the money for something that is currently in development. Who knows by beta or release if it gets there, what they may be able to downgrade in the game or optimise to run on lower hardware and only they might have some sort of idea of a recommended card at the moment (community and delvolpers all testing it out.)
It's called giving better help other than just saying no it will not, buy and expensive card.

Of course the OP can come back here to find out similar cards and best prices, places to buy them.

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. My friend contacted Frontier and they recommended a card with a 3000+ benchmark, such as the 750Ti. He is going to save up and commit to an upgrade nearer to release.
Edited by: "bev1505" 26th Jun 2016

Original Poster

I was intrigued by the demands of planet coaster and whilst I was doing research into cards for my own pc, I discovered this.
amazon.co.uk/gp/…TF8
As it is 2gb gddr5 and is low profile, could my friend get away with this on a 300w. Reviewers have said it has worked well with gta 5 which is equally graphically demanding and a reviewer used it on a 240w. If he can, that would be awesome as he would like to avoid spending a fortune where possible.
Edited by: "bev1505" 26th Jun 2016

bev1505

Thanks for the advice. My friend contacted Frontier and they recommended … Thanks for the advice. My friend contacted Frontier and they recommended a card with a 3000+ benchmark, such as the 750Ti. He is going to save up and commit to an upgrade nearer to release.

If the game has a built in benchmark then that should definitely be your definitive list of which cards are suitable. Demands of games vary so without specific information the best advice is just based on the average performance over various games.

bev1505

I was intrigued by the demands of planet coaster and whilst I was doing … I was intrigued by the demands of planet coaster and whilst I was doing research into cards for my own pc, I discovered this.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00NM931WA/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8As it is 2gb gddr5 and is low profile, could my friend get away with this on a 300w. Reviewers have said it has worked well with gta 5 which is equally graphically demanding and a reviewer used it on a 240w. If he can, that would be awesome as he would like to avoid spending a fortune where possible.

No, the GT 720 is slower than integrated graphics. At least the HD 4600 that replaced the HD 2500 if not the HD 2500 itself. GTA V has a substantially lower minimum requirement of a 9800GT or 4870.

300W is plenty of power for any sort of £100 graphics card with an i5-3330 unless he's got a dozen hard drives or some other unusually power hungry setup.

As above, the 720 is a basic card, your benchmark search should have shown that.
e.g. gpuboss.com/gpu…720
Save up and nearer the time ask in their forum/the devs what is now needed for the game and if they have dropped the minimum requirements by add feature to pull back graphics as GTA V. The

The 750Ti is a great little card and uses little power. But by the time it is released or your friend has £100, you may be able to get a better card if newer ones come out.

Compare the 750Ti to your original GTX560 spec and it is similar power for next to now electricity in comparison gpuboss.com/gpu…560

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions