Groups

Planning on unlocking a dual core AMD cpu to a quad core; any help?

Planning on unlocking a 550 BE, can you guys provide any help/tips?

21 Comments

Banned

if you open up the sealed box, they wont take it back as used!

if you say it's faulty they will test

yeah... you cant just use a cpu and say no its not for me?
    do the research and make sure it is right lol.

why wouldnt u want the cpu? buy the one u want:)

no you cant return it after you have used it, the law is not on your side.

if you do lie and claim it is faulty, they will test it. if you intentionally damage it they can prove you damaged it, because many many million pound machines go in to producing and testing the device before you received it. they could say that you setup fried the cpu, that your fan killed the cpu etc.. essentially pushing all fault back your way. even then, they may simply just send you a replacement - so youd be in the same sitation..

overall do you research and order the right thing

'lol'

Original Poster

That's unlucky then. Don't see how it's so bad, it's just like if you bought a piece of clothing you thought you'd like from the internet and you didn't like when you got it, most shops would allow you to return it even if you had tried it on.

Does anyone know somewhere that sells CPUs who do allow you to return them? e.g. SCAN etc.

Banned

Tensei;8170636

That's unlucky then. Don't see how it's so bad, it's just like if you … That's unlucky then. Don't see how it's so bad, it's just like if you bought a piece of clothing you thought you'd like from the internet and you didn't like when you got it, most shops would allow you to return it even if you had tried it on.Does anyone know somewhere that sells CPUs who do allow you to return them? e.g. SCAN etc.

its hardly the same. How would you react if you got sent a CPU with dried thermal paste all over the back?

lol at the comparison.
    how can you NOT know what CPU you want?
    If you dont know you shuodn't be buying one.

csiman;8170802

its hardly the same. How would you react if you got sent a CPU with dried … its hardly the same. How would you react if you got sent a CPU with dried thermal paste all over the back?

no he is right, it is exactly the same as clothes: underwear

Tensei;8170636

That's unlucky then. Don't see how it's so bad, it's just like if you … That's unlucky then. Don't see how it's so bad, it's just like if you bought a piece of clothing you thought you'd like from the internet and you didn't like when you got it, most shops would allow you to return it even if you had tried it on.Does anyone know somewhere that sells CPUs who do allow you to return them? e.g. SCAN etc.

no where normal, come on, a bit of common sense mate..

essentially, after you open the cpu and try and return it - you could have damaged it. the store cannot sell them as brand new and must therefor heavily reduce the price and lose money. unlike clothes, you cannot quickly inspect an electrical item and put it back on the shelf totally unware to the next purchaser.

Am guessing the OP want to by an AMD processor to see if he can unlock locked cores to try to get a bargain.

GAVINLEWISHUKD;8180178

Am guessing the OP want to by an AMD processor to see if he can unlock … Am guessing the OP want to by an AMD processor to see if he can unlock locked cores to try to get a bargain.

and/or a good overclocker.

It works with OEM CPUs.

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD;8180178

Am guessing the OP want to by an AMD processor to see if he can unlock … Am guessing the OP want to by an AMD processor to see if he can unlock locked cores to try to get a bargain.

Civic EG6;8180215

It works with OEM CPUs.

Yeah I'm trying to buy a dual core and unlock it to a quad core.

That sounds great, do you know if any shops sell OEM versions as I'm assuming they would be returnable as you don't have to worry about fans or thermal paste.

Original Poster

dcx_badass;8184688

So what goes on the CPU then? :roll:

Since it's OEM It'd be my own paste not any pre applied paste so it could be reused anyway.

Tensei;8184779

Since it's OEM It'd be my own paste not any pre applied paste so it could … Since it's OEM It'd be my own paste not any pre applied paste so it could be reused anyway.

What?

Do you even know what a CPU is?

Its not some kind of lingerie.

Tensei;8184645

Yeah I'm trying to buy a dual core and unlock it to a quad core. That … Yeah I'm trying to buy a dual core and unlock it to a quad core. That sounds great, do you know if any shops sell OEM versions as I'm assuming they would be returnable as you don't have to worry about fans or thermal paste.

Think you may struggle with this nowdays as I think the amount of processors with defective cores are low (notice the shortage of X3 Phenom II) so finding one will be slim.

But prices should drop soon as the new X6's (thurban) are due for release soon as price have been leaked. The 2.8GHz 1055T will be $199 so expect that to be sub £150 here so expect the rest of the range to drop 10% or so.

GAVINLEWISHUKD;8184904

Think you may struggle with this nowdays as I think the amount of … Think you may struggle with this nowdays as I think the amount of processors with defective cores are low (notice the shortage of X3 Phenom II) so finding one will be slim.But prices should drop soon as the new X6's (thurban) are due for release soon as price have been leaked. The 2.8GHz 1055T will be $199 so expect that to be sub £150 here so expect the rest of the range to drop 10% or so.

I know 3 people with X3 945's and two of them have unlocked the 4th core, just means you cant push the OC as much.

Banned

Tensei;8184779

Since it's OEM It'd be my own paste not any pre applied paste so it could … Since it's OEM It'd be my own paste not any pre applied paste so it could be reused anyway.

are you really serious? WTF! :w00t:

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD;8184904

Think you may struggle with this nowdays as I think the amount of … Think you may struggle with this nowdays as I think the amount of processors with defective cores are low (notice the shortage of X3 Phenom II) so finding one will be slim.But prices should drop soon as the new X6's (thurban) are due for release soon as price have been leaked. The 2.8GHz 1055T will be $199 so expect that to be sub £150 here so expect the rest of the range to drop 10% or so.

Do you mean the chances of me successfully unlocking the fourth core are slim or that the chances of me finding an unlockable CPU are slim? It's just that your wording would suggest that most dual cores wouldn't have any defective cores as the number of faulty ones has dropped so the chances of me getting one which is non unlockable are slim, which would be a good thing. As you can tell I'm quite confused lol.

What do you think the chances of me getting a successful unlock are, if I buy a 550 BE from ebuyer now?

Do you have any tips?

Thanks for the help thus far.

csiman;8185463

are you really serious? WTF! :w00t:

loll i think the op thinks it is reasonable to wear underpants, soil them, and try and return them!

this makes me laugh like that guy last week who thought it was reasonable to help his low life friend find a way to bum off the government and get a free apartment when his family wanted to help him
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …162403
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846290
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416014106
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17426158

See more discussions