Found 14th Apr 2009
Hey there,
I've decided to start work on the garden this week seeing as the suns finally decided to come out and it being a bit warmer. I have a few plants in the garden that I'm unsure of, don't know there name but they've been there 10 years or so and started to go out of shape / half dead etc and I'm not sure the best action for them, my mum says just remove them but was wondering if I can try and sort them out! Does anyone know of any sites that allow you to find plant names by charecteristics or anything? I'll post pics soon in case any of you are gardeners =D

Thanks!

25 Comments

think pictures are the best way to go on this question...
Good luck on finding what they are
Hopefully they are not all weeds

My advice is to go to a garden centre and pick up one of Dr Hessayon's books on the particular brand of gardening that interests you. He's the world recognized expert and his books are not expensive.

]http//ww…yon

I have several of these and they're all good.

Krato, take some pics of your plants, upload them to this thread :

hotukdeals.com/for…=85

and I'm pretty sure you will get them identified and any other help you may need.

If you need help uploading the photo's either ask in this thread or the thread I've linked above.

Best of luck

Original Poster

guru_the;4916838

think pictures are the best way to go on this question...Good luck on … think pictures are the best way to go on this question...Good luck on finding what they are Hopefully they are not all weeds

Cheers, will post some pics in a second! I'm pretty sure they're not weeds lol! though they look just as bad! =S

Afterburner;4916886

My advice is to go to a garden centre and pick up one of Dr Hessayon's … My advice is to go to a garden centre and pick up one of Dr Hessayon's books on the particular brand of gardening that interests you. He's the world recognized expert and his books are not expensive.I have several of these and they're all good.

Thanks! I have no gardening books, I've never really bothered too much about the garden before now but I was deweeding yesterday and enjoyed it so would like to do a bit more =D Will think about getting some, spent a lot this week so can't buy just yet lol!

Hmm must go hunt for my camera brb

Try these sites

gardenersworld.com/

rhs.org.uk/

I am not a garden expert, my wife is, but if they have been there 10 years they are probably shrubs.

Shrubs, like say Choisya (a very common garden shrub), do start off small but can grow very large. Here is a picture of a small one you may buy in a garden centre:

aumanns.com.au/ima…jpg

But then it can grow this big like this:

gardenaction.co.uk/ima…jpg

Most shrubs can be thinned or pruned (the branches cut off) but you have to do it the right time of the year.

Here is a pictured of how you thin or prune a shrub

buckjones.com/ima…gif

Most plants will now have their spring growth on them, so if you prune them now you will lose this years colour in the garden.

My suggestion would be to cut off part of a branch (one that contains a few leaves) and take it to your local garden centre.

They will tell you what it is, when and how to prune it, and what you need to do to look after it.

If you are going to prune get a proper knife or secateurs as you need to make a clean cut. If you make a poor cut it can cause problems and allow disease to get in.

Here are some secateurs so you know what they look like

alldesignclassics.com/ekm…jpg
If a shrub is really past it then it does no harm to take it out and put in a new one. But again, you need to do it at the right time of the year.

Find the shrub you want, and when it is best to plant it.

Remove the old shrub (and all the roots etc), dig the soil over, then put in some fertilizer to help growth.

Plant the new shrub, WATER IT WELL, then make sure you water it on a regular basis. If you dont water it then it will probably die when (if) we get a hot summer.

It may be worth buying a basic book on gardening as it helps you understand about different types of plants (some like sun, some like shade, some keep their leaves in winter, others lose their leaves etc)

Once you start it is a big subject.

hottoshop;4916896

Krato, take some pics of your plants, upload them to this thread … Krato, take some pics of your plants, upload them to this thread :http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316791&page=85and I'm pretty sure you will get them identified and any other help you may need.If you need help uploading the photo's either ask in this thread or the thread I've linked above.Best of luck

+1

You can pretty well cut back any plant but it's best to ID first, just in case it's about to flower beautifully and you would miss it!!

Original Poster

[LEFT]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6024/img01f.jpg

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/7703/img02.jpg

I'll get the larger shrub ones out of the way first, this ones older than me, 22 years + No idea what it is, though its getting a bit out of shape round the back and I think it will flower soon, it has little white flowers all over it during summer, usually looks quite nice but I have no idea what it is. I don't want to remove it as its been here since I was born! And I don't think its in too bad shape other than it being a bit "holey" in places lol.

Oh BTW any grass tips? Theres more moss than grass on the lawn =S

---edit ah sorry just got the extra replies. should I upload here or the other thread? Or both?
[/LEFT]

krato;4917062

[LEFT]I'll get the larger shrub ones out of the way first, this ones … [LEFT]I'll get the larger shrub ones out of the way first, this ones older than me, 22 years + No idea what it is, though its getting a bit out of shape round the back and I think it will flower soon, it has little white flowers all over it during summer, usually looks quite nice but I have no idea what it is. I don't want to remove it as its been here since I was born! And I don't think its in too bad shape other than it being a bit "holey" in places lol.[/LEFT]

This looks like it is from the conifer family.

If it has been there 22 years it is also very slow growing so if you prune it back it is going to take years to get its shape back.

The lighter green leaves at the end of the branches (lower picture) is the new growth, the old growth further up the branch will be darker.

Original Poster

guilbert53;4917081

If it has been there 22 years it is also very slow growing so if you … If it has been there 22 years it is also very slow growing so if you prune it back it is going to take years to get its shape back..

Would you say its best to leave it as it is but plant more around it so it doesn't look as out of shape and holey?

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3939/img03k.jpg

Ugly one here! Use to look nice in its first few years but we never kept it in shape so it grew quite wild and is always hollow in the middle. The orangey leaves (or whatever they are) are all dead you can brush over it with your hand and they fall off, however the green outer ones are new and alive. Everyone keeps telling me to take it out, but I was wondering if you could cut it right back to its roots or something so it will grow again from small? Or if theres no point. Deffinately don't want it looking like this though! Has similar leaves to a conifer though not sure if it is one.

guilbert53;4917081

This looks like it is from the conifer family. If it has been there 22 … This looks like it is from the conifer family. If it has been there 22 years it is also very slow growing so if you prune it back it is going to take years to get its shape back.The lighter green leaves at the end of the branches (lower picture) is the new growth, the old growth further up the branch will be darker..

I agree its a dwarf conifer,,,:if pruned will look like its dead for years,,,leave it or remove it,,,thumbsup:

personally I would take the ugly one out from your second picture. Its well past its sell by date and can easliy be replaced with a younger model.

Original Poster

bitseylango;4917172

personally I would take the ugly one out from your second picture. Its … personally I would take the ugly one out from your second picture. Its well past its sell by date and can easliy be replaced with a younger model.

Oki doki! Will leave more room for new plants then =D ordered lots from Thompson and Morgan in the other HUKD deal

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/70/img04k.jpg
This one grows at normal rate, we cut it back each year as it goes onto the path quite a lot though I think (but unsure) if its 2 plants growing inbetween each other as some of the leaves are white & green, and the others are just green. Its low ground cover but it started growing up the dwarf conifer so could be a trailing plant?

First one also looks like a dwarf conifer to me - possibly a variety of Picea, but that doesn't fit with you saying that it has white flowers. Clearly conifers don't have flowers.
Anyway, it looks OK so if you want to keep it you could but do not cut it back as there is very little fresh growth and if you cut into the old wood it is unlikely to regrow.
The second one is hideous - dig it up, or cut it right back and see if it's OK. It looks a bit like a Hebe but I can't really tell from the pic.
The third one is perhaps a Euonymus - you can hack that about as much as you like. The green could be a different plant or the variegated one may have reverted to green in parts - any way, take all the green only bits right out.

Original Poster

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5858/img05m.jpg

Deffinately digging this one up! I HATE it with a passion, but would still like to find out what it is, flowers pink and has very thick leaves. I think the flowers on it at the moment are the dead ones from last year but not sure. The slugs love this one and always looks half eaten so yeah... digging it up to make room for new plants.

krato;4917208

This one grows at normal rate, we cut it back each year as it goes onto … This one grows at normal rate, we cut it back each year as it goes onto the path quite a lot though I think (but unsure) if its 2 plants growing inbetween each other as some of the leaves are white & green, and the others are just green. Its low ground cover but it started growing up the dwarf conifer so could be a trailing plant?

This does look like two plants.

Both are everygreen shrubs

The white/green leaves are known as varigated.

These look Ok to me so maybe just keep cutting them back each year.

krato;4917258

Deffinately digging this one up! I HATE it with a passion, but would … Deffinately digging this one up! I HATE it with a passion, but would still like to find out what it is, flowers pink and has very thick leaves. I think the flowers on it at the moment are the dead ones from last year but not sure. The slugs love this one and always looks half eaten so yeah... digging it up to make room for new plants.

Bergenia

Right I'll leave you in Bitsey's capable hands and get out into the garden myself. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

chesso;4917242

The third one is perhaps a Euonymous - you can hack that about as much as … The third one is perhaps a Euonymous - you can hack that about as much as you like. The green could be a different plant or the variegated one may have reverted to green in parts - any way, take all the green only bits right out.

Thanks! We have another newer Euonymous, more green and yellow (at least I think its one according to google images) never knew they were related! I don't think it will be easy taking the green only bits out as the roots are all twined and so are the branches, so I have no idea how I'll go about that. If the green bits were another plant would it kill the Euonymous if left? They never use to be there.

Original Poster

chesso;4917274

Right I'll leave you in Bitsey's capable hands and get out into the … Right I'll leave you in Bitsey's capable hands and get out into the garden myself. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help chesso! Hopefully my garden will look better when I've finished with it =D

krato;4917282

Thanks! We have another newer Euonymous, more green and yellow (at least … Thanks! We have another newer Euonymous, more green and yellow (at least I think its one according to google images) never knew they were related! I don't think it will be easy taking the green only bits out as the roots are all twined and so are the branches, so I have no idea how I'll go about that. If the green bits were another plant would it kill the Euonymous if left? They never use to be there.

Just get the secateurs to it - doesn't matter if you get some of the variegated. I'm pretty sure it's all the same plant as it does revert in parts and it roots quite readily where it comes into contact with the ground, so it may seem as if you have quite a few plants!!

The reversion to green of the Euonymus is because the original variegated one arose by a mutation and as the plant grows it might revert back. The green bits grow more strongly due to being green, so doing more photosynthesis. Any way hack it as much as you like.

Original Poster

thanks for your help! There are other flowers/plants I could do with identifying though I'll leave it until they flower as they all look prety similar at the moment. Going to take my dog for a walk then when I get back shall get to digging those plants out! =D

krato;4917359

thanks for your help! There are other flowers/plants I could do with … thanks for your help! There are other flowers/plants I could do with identifying though I'll leave it until they flower as they all look prety similar at the moment. Going to take my dog for a walk then when I get back shall get to digging those plants out! =D

You're very welcome.
Flowering shrub ID - IMO, use the thread suggested by hottoshop ^^^^.

Good digging and pruning :thumbsup:

Banned

think i may have the worlds tallest dandelions in my garden

wanna pull the weeds from the grass but if i do there will be no grass left lol

Saw a really pretty IMO flowering plant once. Lucky not in my garden. It was bindweed. Take care before you introduce new things.

casparwhite;4918735

think i may have the worlds tallest dandelions in my gardenwanna pull the … think i may have the worlds tallest dandelions in my gardenwanna pull the weeds from the grass but if i do there will be no grass left lol

Haha!!
Rename - wildflower meadow.:)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. School shoes - with lights33
    2. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...89
    3. Advice on a cheaper hand held vacuum please.36
    4. Foo fighters presale code.3436

See more discussions