Groups

Plasma TV Question..

Got a 37" Plasma screen about 3 years ago, its a non-HD Panasonic and still appears to be going strong.
    My question is this,,

Its just a screen and doesnt have an inbuild tv receiver so it came with a seperate receiver box (about the size of a dvd player) that you plug the tv cable into and this in turn gets plugged into the back of the screen.
    I want to give my parents my plasma screen as im due to upgrade to a bigger one in the next 6 months, they have Sky +, are they able to just plug the Sky + box into the back of the plasma or will they need the box that i've been using?

17 Comments

SNAP sounds like the same as ours except ours is 42 inch

Your Plasma probably has at least one scart connector port, if it does, then no problem.

Original Poster

wulshaz;5422762

SNAP sounds like the same as ours except ours is 42 inch

TH37PW7BX, ive had a good few years of use from it. good solid TV.

robovski;5422771

Your Plasma probably has at least one scart connector port, if it does, … Your Plasma probably has at least one scart connector port, if it does, then no problem.

Just gonna check now

Original Poster

its not got any scart connector ports...

wow didnt think tv's came without them :lol:

not sure if sky boxes can be connected through another way ? what connections does the tv have ?

Original Poster

faevilangel;5422839

wow didnt think tv's came without them :lol:not sure if sky boxes can be … wow didnt think tv's came without them :lol:not sure if sky boxes can be connected through another way ? what connections does the tv have ?

The plasma screen is a few years old and back in the day they used to be sold with the tv received box seperate, the receiver can be connected with scart but the scren itself doesnt seem to hav any scarts in it, it has a tuner in, serial in and pc in connections, it also has a covered up blank slot..

i cant think of a way to include the sky box .. maybe ask on a tech forum if there is an adaptor that would do the job?

JasonMason;5422861

The plasma screen is a few years old and back in the day they used to be … The plasma screen is a few years old and back in the day they used to be sold with the tv received box seperate, the receiver can be connected with scart but the scren itself doesnt seem to hav any scarts in it, it has a tuner in, serial in and pc in connections, it also has a covered up blank slot..

the tuner in will be aerial/rf in....a sky+ box will have a rf out/aerial out..so that should do the trick...

Not much on the ol intarweb on that model, but in 2005 someone asked on AVForums if the scart on that TV would carry sound. I can't get into it because I'm at wrk, but maybe it will help you:
    avforums.com/for…tml

Perhaps it is behind a cover/blank?

found this on amazon but it say its got a TV tuner ]http//im…3D1

- but your sky can be connected via an RF lead (co-ax) I think

Just found this which appear to be your answer - it will cost though

]http//im…3D1

Pics might help

My Plasma's the same , I bought mine over 6 years ago . A Panasonic TH37 , only came with a VGA input .I used a JS box [ this links a scart to the VGA ] until I started buying Terminal Boards for it . I now have VGA , Scart & Phono inputs . These boards just slide into the bottom of the unit at the back .I now have the internet with a PC permanantly attached to the VGA board , Scart socket is attached to a Quintro ,linking Freeview ,HDD recorder,TM1500 [sat system] ,VHS player ,DVD player & the Phono board is an input for a games consul.
    Picture quality is absolutely perfect even after all these years , no HD mind you , but I have no HD recivers so I'm not bothered .

Like These :
    http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t295/Rickardo_21/Jsbox2.jpg

Original Poster

ricko;5424959

My Plasma's the same , I bought mine over 6 years ago . A Panasonic TH37 … My Plasma's the same , I bought mine over 6 years ago . A Panasonic TH37 , only came with a VGA input .I used a JS box [ this links a scart to the VGA ] until I started buying Terminal Boards for it . I now have VGA , Scart & Phono inputs . These boards just slide into the bottom of the unit at the back .I now have the internet with a PC permanantly attached to the VGA board , Scart socket is attached to a Quintro ,linking Freeview ,HDD recorder,TM1500 [sat system] ,VHS player ,DVD player & the Phono board is an input for a games consul. Picture quality is absolutely perfect even after all these years , no HD mind you , but I have no HD recivers so I'm not bothered .Like These :

im a bit baffled, is it possible to get some sort of a VGA Scart adapter that would convert a scart lead input into a VGA input?
    Or can i just pickup a scart input board and slot it into the back of the screen?

YES , thats what the JS box does . it converts the scart signal then outputs to the VGA input of the plasma.
    There still made , just checked the JS website , but these things wern't cheap and mine packed up after about 4 years.
    Check out the lower right side of the plasma at the back [ that's where the input boards are on mine ] , there should be some blanking plates with screws . you remove the screws/plates and slide in the input/terminal boards. I bought mine second hand ,1 from ebay and the other from av forums .
    The JS box inputs from any device with a scart . ie freeview ,sky ,etc .and they claimed it increased picture quality .

go here to the site:
    js-technology.com/

Original Poster

how much did you pay for your JS box then?
    And will anyone do or does it need to be taylored to the plasma in question?
    I take it the sky input plugs into the JS box, the JS box then plugs into one of the existing connections on the plasma using another cable (that i will also have to buy)?

I think the box was about £60 or £70. As I have said the box takes a scart input , be it from a freeview ,sky ,dvd device and is designed to connect to the VGA connection on the plasma . The same cable that you would connect a laptop to a monitor or projector. This JS box is only used if your TV is a monitor type TV , ie has no scart ,composite inputs.

Original Poster

ricko;5427484

I think the box was about £60 or £70. As I have said the box takes a s … I think the box was about £60 or £70. As I have said the box takes a scart input , be it from a freeview ,sky ,dvd device and is designed to connect to the VGA connection on the plasma . The same cable that you would connect a laptop to a monitor or projector. This JS box is only used if your TV is a monitor type TV , ie has no scart ,composite inputs.

it has a serial input i think? a VGA input and i think thats it, will take a pic later on if possible
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word survey47
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …1018
      3. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1518
      4. It was forty years ago today......617

See more discussions