PlasterBoard

Posted 13th Feb
I’m new to the whole house thing, having lived in a flat until now, but I’ve done some renovations and im now left with some plasterboard that I don’t know how to get rid of, my local tip doesn’t accept it, so now I’m out of ideas. Any suggestions?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
Are you sure your tip won't accept it. my will take them but it's normally a seperate skip to the others
Douglas_Birks13/02/2020 17:21

Are you sure your tip won't accept it. my will take them but it's normally …Are you sure your tip won't accept it. my will take them but it's normally a seperate skip to the others

Yeah, on the tip website it says No plasterboard.
shove it at the bottom of your wheelie bin
Put it in a black bin bag and be a rebel. They only won't accept it because its builders waste & want to charge for commercial waste. . Not for any environmental reason.
I was thinking of doing that, but I’ve read something about releasing some toxic fumes and stuff? I don’t want to be a knob and be “that” guy
Just fly tip it.

Kidding.

If there are any skips near you, offer the owner a fiver to put the plasterboard in. If there's loads of it, then you could offer it on Freecycle.
Beetlejuicebj13/02/2020 17:29

I was thinking of doing that, but I’ve read something about releasing some …I was thinking of doing that, but I’ve read something about releasing some toxic fumes and stuff?

So we all have toxic stuff coating the whole inside of our houses? Walls & ceilings & all?

Willy_Wonka13/02/2020 17:35

So we all have toxic stuff coating the whole inside of our houses? Walls & …So we all have toxic stuff coating the whole inside of our houses? Walls & ceilings & all?

Not unless your house is full of decomposing waste and wet.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 13th Feb
The bin men will take it if you offer them some cash. Can't you use your collection for large items through the council?
Edited by: "MR1123" 13th Feb
Willy_Wonka13/02/2020 17:35

So we all have toxic stuff coating the whole inside of our houses? Walls & …So we all have toxic stuff coating the whole inside of our houses? Walls & ceilings & all?

Well I hope not lol
MR112313/02/2020 17:42

The bin men will take it if you offer them some cash. Can't you use your …The bin men will take it if you offer them some cash. Can't you use your collection for large items through the council?

I don’t know I haven’t tried, my work never allows me to be home when they collect :/
Have a look at neighbouring counties - Surrey & Hampshire tips will take plasterboard but charge (£4 a bag in Surrey). If there is a lot, maybe get a Hippo bag - "However, we can recycle your uncontaminated plasterboard if it's kept clean and segregated from other waste."
Ar460rn13/02/2020 18:42

Have a look at neighbouring counties - Surrey & Hampshire tips will take …Have a look at neighbouring counties - Surrey & Hampshire tips will take plasterboard but charge (£4 a bag in Surrey). If there is a lot, maybe get a Hippo bag - "However, we can recycle your uncontaminated plasterboard if it's kept clean and segregated from other waste."

I’m in Redditch, that’s quite a stretch:) and it’s like 3 bags. I’ll see what I end up doing with it. Cheers.
Beetlejuicebj13/02/2020 18:44

I’m in Redditch, that’s quite a stretch:) and it’s like 3 bags. I’ll see wh …I’m in Redditch, that’s quite a stretch:) and it’s like 3 bags. I’ll see what I end up doing with it. Cheers.

Sandwell Council will take plasterboard. If you do decide on a trip out of county, ensure you have a bogus postcode, sometimes they ask you for your postcode on entry. We have moved to Shropshire out the West Midlands and back then occasionally went to the Oldbury tip rather than one in the Dudley Borough and had to use a bogus postcode if asked.

sandwell.gov.uk/inf…tip
Edited by: "cicobuff" 13th Feb
Can't put in skip unless it's the only thing in it. I have to get 2 skips dropped, one for plasterboard and one for general waste. I'm guessing most in your area just take to tip and throw in container. Also hear of others putting a bit in dust bin every week. I think you either need to drive to neatest tip or pay local skip company to take it. You could ask for price to dump and drop off but many have minimum charge
Edited by: "wayners" 13th Feb
Plasterboard is only accepted by sites that can handle it
in your area it is these sites:
  • Bilford Road (Worcester East)
  • Bromsgrove (Quantry Lane)
  • Hereford (Rotherwas)
  • Leominster
  • Malvern
  • Pershore (Hill & Moor)
  • Stourport

Bertz9913/02/2020 19:23

Plasterboard is only accepted by sites that can handle it in your area it …Plasterboard is only accepted by sites that can handle it in your area it is these sites:Bilford Road (Worcester East) Bromsgrove (Quantry Lane) Hereford (Rotherwas) Leominster Malvern Pershore (Hill & Moor) Stourport

I’ll look to see which is closest to me, cheers pal.
Willy_Wonka13/02/2020 17:28

Put it in a black bin bag and be a rebel. They only won't accept it …Put it in a black bin bag and be a rebel. They only won't accept it because its builders waste & want to charge for commercial waste. . Not for any environmental reason.

Not true. Even when you hire a skip for the builders rubbish, you cannot use it for the plasterboard.
varaha13/02/2020 19:40

Not true. Even when you hire a skip for the builders rubbish, you cannot …Not true. Even when you hire a skip for the builders rubbish, you cannot use it for the plasterboard.

That depends on the company you hire from and the facilities they have. e.g. Skelton near me accept both in their skips. The key with Plasterboard is for it not to be disposed off next to biodegradable matter which gypsum reacts with.
Crumble it up and scatter over your potato patch, I was told that's what they use to improve the skin on potatos.
Which area do you live in most have a charge for stuff these days. That's why fly tipping has increased so much aswell as the usual lazy bums who use too do it anyway. The council are a rip off charge around £4, for a plastboard when you can fit about 200+ in a skip which would cost about £150. Seems like they are trying rip people off like the council tax isn't enough already. If it's just one board let the kids play with it for a fee weeks free chalk and then it will be small enough too go in the bin plus free chalk.
List it in gumtree Facebook someone local will probably have it or offer them a free delivery aswell if your disperate.
I recently got had to get rid of some , his loads in cardboard boxes and through them in the paper bit in tip .

Worked a treat
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants