Expired

Plastering advice please (of the none drunken variety)

Banned 65
Found 26th Jan 2009
walls a right mess all, blown in most places, cracks all over the place, walls sound hollow. How big a job to re-plaster? I assume this means removing all old plaster? Room is approx 10ft by 10ft

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
61 Comments

Banned

Are you going to attempt to do this yourself?

When i got my room replastered the just went over my old plaster and evened it out.

It took them a few days and my room is in the loft so its quiet big.

A very big job for yourself, but a qualified plasterer then very easy.

Sounds like you need to get someone in and finish your house off once and for all. !!!

Original Poster Banned

ODB_69;4190830

errrmmm no :thumbsup:

ODB_69;4190830

ahhemmmm i just re-plastered my fireplace women can do jobs too you sexist little troll reported

yeah the old plaster will prob have to come off sass pain in the bum makes a right old mess too replastering isnt the easiest thing to do either :thumbsup:

Banned

if the old plaster is coming off u would probs be best to plasterboard over it or chip the plaster away and if their is holes in the wall cerment it then unibound it then replaster it.it should only take about a week to do, hope that helps

Original Poster Banned

smithyp1;4190848

A very big job for yourself, but a qualified plasterer then very … A very big job for yourself, but a qualified plasterer then very easy.Sounds like you need to get someone in and finish your house off once and for all. !!!

I have a platerer coming in tomorrow to do the ceilings in the hall, and sort out a bad patch in the dining room, but now room is stripped it really is not good, just wondered how big a job, every job i start turns from a mole hill to a mountain

Original Poster Banned

vVvGaming;4190863

if the old plaster is coming off u would probs be best to plasterboard … if the old plaster is coming off u would probs be best to plasterboard over it or chip the plaster away and if their is holes in the wall cerment it then unibound it then replaster it.it should only take about a week to do, hope that helps

it isnt coming off, but it is so badly cracked and dont think it would take much for it to come off

Banned

foxymissroxy;4190861

ahhemmmm i just re-plastered my fireplace women can do jobs too you … ahhemmmm i just re-plastered my fireplace women can do jobs too you sexist little troll reported yeah the old plaster will prob have to come off sass pain in the bum makes a right old mess too replastering isnt the easiest thing to do either :thumbsup:

oh I aint saying a women couldnt do it so stop man hating! just think its a big job if you dont know what your doing and attempt yourself...so there

now get back in the kitchen

If its as bad as you say then yes a re-plaster is the best option. It all depends what type of construction and condition the sub -strate is ,dot and dab is the quick way using plaster board and a skimming over but get it done by a recognised company it's easier and less messy that way!:thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

foxymissroxy;4190861

ahhemmmm i just re-plastered my fireplace women can do jobs too you … ahhemmmm i just re-plastered my fireplace women can do jobs too you sexist little troll reported yeah the old plaster will prob have to come off sass pain in the bum makes a right old mess too replastering isnt the easiest thing to do either :thumbsup:

OMG wouldnt even attempt doing something like plastering, patience is not my strong point and tend to rush everything

Banned

well u would only have 2 chip the worst off and the normal cracks just scrim cloth it and replaster over it in that case 1-2 days top

Original Poster Banned

right so again how big a job, i days work, two days work, 3?

sassie;4190896

right so again how big a job, i days work, two days work, 3?

4?

Banned

vVvGaming;4190892

in that case 1-2 days top

:oops:

ODB_69;4190884

oh I aint saying a women couldnt do it so stop man hating! just think its … oh I aint saying a women couldnt do it so stop man hating! just think its a big job if you dont know what your doing and attempt yourself...so therenow get back in the kitchen

I AM in the kitchen you fool!! , , , ,new pups = 2 weeks of kitchen incaeration for me!!

anyways what you cooking for my dinner!!

Original Poster Banned

no its deffo hollow in alot of places

Banned

ok well the best thing to do is to have it all done so 3-4 days

Banned

is it defo a wall and not a partition wall

ie. brick vs plasterboard?

Original Poster Banned

so lots of money then, ok thanks guys, will speak to plasterer tomorrow, i flipping hate this house :-(

sassie;4190864

I have a platerer coming in tomorrow to do the ceilings in the hall, and … I have a platerer coming in tomorrow to do the ceilings in the hall, and sort out a bad patch in the dining room, but now room is stripped it really is not good, just wondered how big a job, every job i start turns from a mole hill to a mountain

Here's your answer....ask the plasterer tomorrow :-D

Original Poster Banned

ODB_69;4190919

is it defo a wall and not a partition wall ie. brick vs plasterboard?

no its deffo brick walls - lol

Original Poster Banned

birdyboyuk;4190930

Here's your answer....ask the plasterer tomorrow :-D

was just hoping to get a judge of time on it, you know how us single females get ripped off with people that say the job takes 7 days when infact 2 days is all thats needed

Banned

sassie;4190931

no its deffo brick walls - lol

fair enough...wasnt sure if you meant an internal 'wall' or not...would have been easier if it was

Original Poster Banned

ODB_69;4190959

fair enough...wasnt sure if you meant an internal 'wall' or not...would … fair enough...wasnt sure if you meant an internal 'wall' or not...would have been easier if it was

2 are internal, 2 external, and all 4 are pretty bad

You could do all the stripping yourself and save a few quid!

Original Poster Banned

thisismark;4190975

You could do all the stripping yourself and save a few quid!

what the plaster? i probably wouldnt stop till i saw daylight :oops:

It really depends on how bad it is, whether it's just locallised areas that need to be removed and patched and then the whole room scimmed, in which case it should be only two days (one if you are lucky).

If it all or most of it needs to be removed and the whole room needs a base coat of plaster or the whole thing plaster boarding followed by a skim it will take 3 to 4 days depending on how long it takes to remove the old plaster, skirting boards etc.

The best thing is if you trust and know the plasterer to ask him his opinion and get a quote both from him and others as well.

sassie;4190985

nah he obviosly meant take your clothes off for the best price

Original Poster Banned

foxymissroxy;4191003

nah he obviosly meant take your clothes off for the best price

oh err i could do that, but probably end up costing me double :oops:

sassie;4190985

If you like , you could start with the plaster once you make a start it's not too bad.
Be warned this will make a right mess. Where in the country are you, I know a good plasterer not bad on price either

Original Poster Banned

thanks barney, i dont really know the plasterer, and not seen any of his work, as for trust how the flip did you trust smeone youve never met

Well I would expect it to take 3 days. One to remove old plaster, one for re-boarding and one for finishing. However you could save some cost by removing the old plaster yourself and disposing of it yourself in the bin over a few weeks, as the plasterer will have to pay for disposal. So 2 days should do it.

Remember work is slow at the moment so don't accept the first price. Offer 20% less than what is quoted then if he says thats too low ask to meet him in the middle.

Original Poster Banned

thisismark;4191026

If you like , you could start with the plaster once you make a start it's … If you like , you could start with the plaster once you make a start it's not too bad.Be warned this will make a right mess. Where in the country are you, I know a good plasterer not bad on price either

i wouldnt do removing plaster, like i said i probably wouldnt know when to stop, im in shrewsbury

Bit to far, shame, sorry I can't help there

Original Poster Banned

anyone like to guess a rough price, i wont hold you to anythng - lol

sassie;4191062

anyone like to guess a rough price, i wont hold you to anythng - lol

get a few quotes you will see a big gap in the quotes

Original Poster Banned

i need a rough estimate, if i cant afford it i aint gonna start fart ****** round with tradesman

sassie;4191036

thanks barney, i dont really know the plasterer, and not seen any of his … thanks barney, i dont really know the plasterer, and not seen any of his work, as for trust how the flip did you trust smeone youve never met

Ask your friends and family if they have used or recommend one

GAVINLEWISHUKD;4191041

Remember work is slow at the moment so don't accept the first price. … Remember work is slow at the moment so don't accept the first price. Offer 20% less than what is quoted then if he says thats too low ask to meet him in the middle.

Good advice, there's loads of them out of work ATM, ring around and get quotes from a lot of them and haggle!

Original Poster Banned

barneydog;4191103

Ask your friends and family if they have used or recommend one

been there done that, this bloke is someone somebody knows, although they havent had any work done by them
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Quidco Snow me the money Competition821053
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 46 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1313
    3. Enter to win an iPhone X Anker competition33
    4. Win £500 worth of goods from RAF Museum's shop66

See more discussions