Found 29th Jan
I like the look of the aluminium ones but I've read reviews where people say they eventually rust or end up welding onto the valves so you can't get them off.

How true is this?

1. Ask
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Car
15 Comments

A good friend had a brand new BMW 320d and had all 4 metal caps stuck on after amor 9 months. BMW managed to get them off as we couldn't with mole grips. He now has 4 plastic ones

Plastic... Metal ones are **** to get off all through the winter..

plastic, put metal on you may end up replacing the valves.

Yes they can rust, just need to take care of them, don't tighten them on hard, check on them every so often, spray a bit of water displacement or WD-40.

Do all that and they will probably be nicked by some teen so he can put them on his BMX

stick with plastic. metal ones react with the metal on the valve, stick solid.

as above yes they do end up welding themselves on I had to replace four valves then last time I put them on mine never again. stay clear more trouble than there worth !!!!

Don't use metal ones they will end up sticking and you likely have to replace valves

Original Poster

Great, thanks for the advice all

Plastic ones, I've tried various metal ones over the years and they either react with the valve stem and stick to it (which can get expensive if you have TPM) or they vanish when BMX bandits want flash "dusties".

If you use copper slip then the metal caps should be fine.

great advice but marking your own response as the best answer - that's a new onw on me!

As per everyone's comments above, stay away from the metal ones. I had a brand new bmw that came with metal valves and they somehow reacted and became permanently stuck to the valves. If they couldn't be grinded off then new valves needed.

Spray paint some plastic ones :P

Aluminium doesn't rust it oxidises.

Some steel & Iron rusts which is oxidation, because iron is in steel.

As was said here......

Niz

.......... just need to take care of them, don't tighten them on hard, … .......... just need to take care of them, don't tighten them on hard, check on them every so often, spray a bit of water displacement or WD-40.

Interesting that the 320 owner didn't check tyre pressure for nine months.

would never use cheap ebay alloy ones again, took ages to hack saw and pull them off with pliers, though the old metal ones were never a problem. its plastic for me now.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Gala Bingo/Games. Deposit £5 get £40 cashback. Quidco - new Gala members11
    2. Has the amount of Apple fanboys increased on the site after the redesign?11
    3. Urgent help needed with travel agent56
    4. Submit Mobile Deals from Comparison sites22

See more discussions