Groups

Play DVD on Samsung Optical DVD Writer to smart TV

Bought a load of DVDs thinking I can play them through the Samsung SE-208GB/RSGD which I already have to my Panasonic smart TV. I just can't get this to work although it's supposed to. Am I missing something here? I connected via the USB but although the thing lights up it doesn't work and doesn't appear to be showing in AV. Any help appreciated because despite loads of google and youtube I'm finding no answers.

30 Comments

Have you tried opening the DVD drive then holding the button in until it blinks/lights up? I can't remember the procedure but that's have you get it into AV mode

Original Poster

waynester21

Have you tried opening the DVD drive then holding the button in until it … Have you tried opening the DVD drive then holding the button in until it blinks/lights up? I can't remember the procedure but that's have you get it into AV mode

No I haven't but thanks I'll try that.

Original Poster

Astec123

In simple terms, that's because the DVD drive you have is for a computer … In simple terms, that's because the DVD drive you have is for a computer and to read it the TV would need to understand what to do with it, which it doesnt. You'll need to buy a cheap DVD player that connects via a HDMI cable, Scart lead or RCA cables to the TV.

This is supposed to be able to connect to smart tvs to watch movies or sound files or photos via the usb. It was partly why I bought it and there are youtube videos showing it working. So it is meant to be part of it's function.

Yes, I had a similar drive that I connected to my Android tablet to watch DVDs on. Worked a treat but I sold it as I didn't use it enough.

Original Poster

waynester21

Yes, I had a similar drive that I connected to my Android tablet to watch … Yes, I had a similar drive that I connected to my Android tablet to watch DVDs on. Worked a treat but I sold it as I didn't use it enough.

Thanks but although this works fine connected to a pc it isn't working with the panasonic smart tv and basically it's supposed to do so.

DVDs ? Just rip them to memory stick.

Original Poster

pickledtink

No I haven't but thanks I'll try that.

you wouldn't have any link to a manual or how to vdieo or anything would you? I'm not finding anything except a guy on youtube who just plugs it in and it works!

Original Poster

kester76

DVDs ? Just rip them to memory stick.

yes I know but I really didn't want to clutter up my life with more memory sticks or do all that, just wanted to have the option to play them now and again when I'm fed up with streamed content. I wouldn't have bought all these if I'd known this was going to be a problem.

I had to google Samsung SE-208GB/RSGD to see what it was. Everything I see so far suggests this is a WRITER so I do not think it can READ and PLAY DVDs on a TV.
    Edited by: "tardytortoise" 23rd Aug 2016

tardytortoise

I had to google Samsung SE-208GB/RSGD to see what it was. Everything I … I had to google Samsung SE-208GB/RSGD to see what it was. Everything I see so far suggests this is a WRITER so I do not think it can READ and PLAY DVDs.

Of course it can read and play DVDS. A Writer just means it will write to the discs in addition to reading from them.

Original Poster

ipswich78

Of course it can read and play DVDS. A Writer just means it will write to … Of course it can read and play DVDS. A Writer just means it will write to the discs in addition to reading from them.

Yes indeed it does. It plays DVDs no problem on both my imac and macbook.

There is a manual available on the Samsung website. Also, "Live chat" too for assistance. A quick read through the manual suggests:

1. Hold down the Eject button on the ODD for 3 seconds while the ODD tray is open to
    switch the ODD to AV system support mode. At this time, the LED is lit.

2. If you hold down the button again, ODD mode is toggled between AV system support
    mode and general ODD mode.

pickledtink

yes I know but I really didn't want to clutter up my life with more … yes I know but I really didn't want to clutter up my life with more memory sticks or do all that, just wanted to have the option to play them now and again when I'm fed up with streamed content. I wouldn't have bought all these if I'd known this was going to be a problem.

you can get 100+ films on a £25 128GB usb stick these days. then sell the dvds

Then, reading further you get this:

Can I watch commercial DVD titles on the TV by using the AV connectivity function?

To play DVD titles, you need a recorder that can decrypt the encoded DVD title. However,
    since most TVs do not support this function, you cannot watch DVD titles by using the AV
    connectivity function. To watch DVD titles, you have to use a DVD player or DVD playing
    software that runs on a computer.

tardytortoise

I had to google Samsung SE-208GB/RSGD to see what it was. Everything I … I had to google Samsung SE-208GB/RSGD to see what it was. Everything I see so far suggests this is a WRITER so I do not think it can READ and PLAY DVDs.

DVD drives are devices that can read DVD discs on a computer. DVD players … DVD drives are devices that can read DVD discs on a computer. DVD players are a particular type of devices that do not require a computer to work, and can read DVD-Video and DVD-Audio discs.

I just found this on Wikipedia

I know Samsung have been going many years and make all sorts of consumer electronic things and I know things can get lost in translation - but I figured Samsung called it a Writer for a reason - even though when attached to a computer it can read and play. Samsung did not call it a Player as it did not want to give the suggestion it could play videos without a computer and I see from post #14 it can't.

All DVD Writers can play AND write DVDs. I had the 208 model and I think it was MX Player on my Android tablet that could decode the DVD encryption. Never tried it on a TV but I imagine it will only work on non encrypted discs.

waynester21

All DVD Writers can play AND write DVDs. I had the 208 model and I think … All DVD Writers can play AND write DVDs. I had the 208 model and I think it was MX Player on my Android tablet that could decode the DVD encryption. Never tried it on a TV but I imagine it will only work on non encrypted discs.

so not the commercial ones the OP had bought to play on his TV

pickledtink

yes I know but I really didn't want to clutter up my life with more … yes I know but I really didn't want to clutter up my life with more memory sticks or do all that, just wanted to have the option to play them now and again when I'm fed up with streamed content. I wouldn't have bought all these if I'd known this was going to be a problem.

Why didn't you ​just buy a cheap £20 dvd player ?

tardytortoise

I just found this on WikipediaI know Samsung have been going many years … I just found this on WikipediaI know Samsung have been going many years and make all sorts of consumer electronic things and I know things can get lost in translation - but I figured Samsung called it a Writer for a reason - even though when attached to a computer it can read and play. Samsung did not call it a Player as it did not want to give the suggestion it could play videos without a computer and I see from post #14 it can't.

Nope. Stop digging... Read post #14 again.

A DVD Player is exactly that. Traditionally a DVD Writer can both Write / Read.

How many usb's are on your TV? if more than one try a different usb, as on my TV it says to use a particular one of the usb's with external drives as it has a higher power output than the others
    Edited by: "mikey_d" 23rd Aug 2016

Original Poster

mikey_d

How many usb's are on your TV? if more than one try a different usb, as … How many usb's are on your TV? if more than one try a different usb, as on my TV it says to use a particular one of the usb's with external drives as it has a higher power output than the others

Thanks. I think you're right. There's two...tried both. Neither works. :-(

Original Poster

kester76

Why didn't you ​just buy a cheap £20 dvd player ?

I already have an old dvd player which will probably work with a scart lead. I wanted to use this in particular because it gives me a slim player/write for my Macbook and had ( apparently) this other function to play Movie DVDs through my smart telly. I am trying to streamline all my stuff. I do not want yet another box to be plugged in you know? Which is why I bought this specific thing which is supposed to be able to do this? Did you read any of the posts before posting?

Edited by: "pickledtink" 23rd Aug 2016

Original Poster

Phsycronix

Then, reading further you get this:Can I watch commercial DVD titles on … Then, reading further you get this:Can I watch commercial DVD titles on the TV by using the AV connectivity function?To play DVD titles, you need a recorder that can decrypt the encoded DVD title. However,since most TVs do not support this function, you cannot watch DVD titles by using the AVconnectivity function. To watch DVD titles, you have to use a DVD player or DVD playingsoftware that runs on a computer.

Thanks that makes the most sense. It seems like a software issue but the Samsung support/manual is useless. There should be something they give you a download link to which would enable this via my mac...but there isn't and the only youtube vid I found just does a plug in and play demo which worked for him and he doesn't mention any additional software requirement.

Original Poster

Phsycronix

Then, reading further you get this:Can I watch commercial DVD titles on … Then, reading further you get this:Can I watch commercial DVD titles on the TV by using the AV connectivity function?To play DVD titles, you need a recorder that can decrypt the encoded DVD title. However,since most TVs do not support this function, you cannot watch DVD titles by using the AVconnectivity function. To watch DVD titles, you have to use a DVD player or DVD playingsoftware that runs on a computer.

Any tips or links to which software download would do the trick?

pickledtink

Thanks. I think you're right. There's two...tried both. Neither works. … Thanks. I think you're right. There's two...tried both. Neither works. :-(

It sounds like the usb port isn't supplying enough power to spin the drive, I think that only TV's that have a record to external hard drive facility provide a usb with a higher power output, have you found a youtube video showing it working on your exact model of tv?

pickledtink

I already have an old dvd player which will probably work with a scart … I already have an old dvd player which will probably work with a scart lead. I wanted to use this in particular because it gives me a slim player/write for my Macbook and had ( apparently) this other function to play Movie DVDs through my smart telly. I am trying to streamline all my stuff. I do not want yet another box to be plugged in you know? Which is why I bought this specific thing which is supposed to be able to do this? Did you read any of the posts before posting?

I did read them but I assumed you understood the difference between an Drive and a media player. I admit I made a similar error back in the late 90s when I bought my 1st DVDrom and then had to buy a Hollywood+ card to decode it but it's 2016. Most people assumed you were using it for ripped videos on a DVDr or had side loaded Kodi into your smart TV to watch a retail DVD video.

You could probably cast the DVD video to your TV from your Mac as well.
    Don't blame me because you're too lazy to figure out things for yourself.

Original Poster

kester76

I did read them but I assumed you understood the difference between an … I did read them but I assumed you understood the difference between an Drive and a media player. I admit I made a similar error back in the late 90s when I bought my 1st DVDrom and then had to buy a Hollywood+ card to decode it but it's 2016. Most people assumed you were using it for ripped videos on a DVDr or had side loaded Kodi into your smart TV to watch a retail DVD video.You could probably cast the DVD video to your TV from your Mac as well.Don't blame me because you're too lazy to figure out things for yourself.

As you have nothing useful to say or offer and don't appear to have any idea what you're waffling on about why don't you just run along? Rather than 'assuming' anything everyone else has made some genuine helpful suggestions. Don't let the door smack you on the ar**e on your way out.

Original Poster

mikey_d

It sounds like the usb port isn't supplying enough power to spin the … It sounds like the usb port isn't supplying enough power to spin the drive, I think that only TV's that have a record to external hard drive facility provide a usb with a higher power output, have you found a youtube video showing it working on your exact model of tv?

Thanks and that tallies with the error message I'm getting from USB1 but USB2 isn't giving out any error message. I don't know what tv the guy was using on the youtube tutorial ( don't think he said) but perhaps it's because it's commercial and the Samsung specs just doesn't differentiate on that. I'll keep the old DVD player and buy a scart lead to view these for now. I only wanted to be able to stick a DVD on occasionally. Anyway thanks for all your help and time. Appreciated.

pickledtink

As you have nothing useful to say or offer and don't appear to have any … As you have nothing useful to say or offer and don't appear to have any idea what you're waffling on about why don't you just run along? Rather than 'assuming' anything everyone else has made some genuine helpful suggestions. Don't let the door smack you on the ar**e on your way out.

Well I honestly tried to help but atleast I've learned you're an ungrateful tool.

ipswich78

Nope. Stop digging... Read post #14 again.A DVD Player is exactly that. … Nope. Stop digging... Read post #14 again.A DVD Player is exactly that. Traditionally a DVD Writer can both Write / Read.

Do you want to borrow my spade?
    I have re-read post #14 and indeed all the proceeding posts and those that followed again. I have also looked at the various sellers on the net including Currys etc. Post #14 was an extract from the samsung manual for this "writer" and this is just another extract from that:-
    To watch DVD titles, you have to use a DVD player or DVD playing
    software that runs on a computer.

In other words - try as much as you like it will never work on a TV simply because a TV does not posses the software/ability to decode the encryption on the commercial disks the OP had bought and obviously this cheap "writer" has nothing inside it to do it either.
    The DVD players I have bought in the past to play commercial DVDs on my TV have the built in ability to decode them. I have bought Region 1 players, Region 2 and multi-region and even hacked one to make it multi-region.
    I standby my original comment this samsung model cannot play commercial DVDs on a TV. So far to date no other poster has managed to find a solution to do so. Of course, if you can find a solution I'm sure the OP would be very grateful. Simply saying a DVD Writer traditionally can both write / read may be factually correct but only in the context of when it is connected to a computer and NOT in the context of the OP situation.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Rain effect window. The one from FRIENDS! Please help!56
      2. Beer experts help required!46
      3. Does the app aznog still work?22
      4. Best Custom ROM for XIaomi Redmi Note 233

See more discussions