Play suspended as arrow is fired at Oval

Found 31st Aug 2017
Armed police are on the scene at The Oval after a crossbow bolt was fired into the ground during a cricket match.
Community Updates
Misc
24 Comments
31859267-TFuSc.jpg
Robin hood?
Dawsy9 m ago

Robin hood?

Would that be what most normal people consider to be a white middle aged man or is this the new type of Robin Hood where diversity would ensure the ethnicity and race was none white and/or maybe not male?

Curious
Edited by: "philphil61" 31st Aug 2017
philphil6112 m ago

Would that be what most normal people consider to be a white middle aged …Would that be what most normal people consider to be a white middle aged man or is this the new type of Robin Hood where diversity would ensure the ethnicity and race was none white and/or maybe not male?Curious

Jesus, Mary, Joseph - Have a day off, Phil' - won't you?
Is there such thing as a cricket pitch?
MSK.5 m ago

What would you call it?
g8spur4 m ago

What would you call it?

Dunno, oval, ground? Pitch sounds wrong, but internet disagrees.
Was there a Welshman on the pitch?
any excuse to liven up a dull borefest
I hope the bow wasn't too angry and has been offered anger management therapy.
MSK.1 h, 48 m ago

g8spur1 h, 42 m ago

What would you call it?

MSK.1 h, 38 m ago

Dunno, oval, ground? Pitch sounds wrong, but internet disagrees.

It depends if "pitch" is a noun, or a verb.

Yes for usage as a noun.

"Bowl" is the preferred verb for the delivery of the ball.
MSK.2 h, 2 m ago

The 'pitch' is the oblong bit in the middle where the bowlers try to pitch the ball
Wongy1104 m ago

The 'pitch' is the oblong bit in the middle where the bowlers try to pitch …The 'pitch' is the oblong bit in the middle where the bowlers try to pitch the ball

I thought that was the wicket,
iml.jou.ufl.edu/pro…tml
Wongy1106 m ago

The 'pitch' is the oblong bit in the middle where the bowlers try to pitch …The 'pitch' is the oblong bit in the middle where the bowlers try to pitch the ball

As usual sky have shown their dedication to the game

And got it wrong
theguardian.com/spo…tch
That guardian article states that the police were onsite within 15 minutes.
Don't they have police inside the ground?I would have thought any venue where there are hundreds if not thousands present would have a police presence.
Cricket has always attracted drunk baffons - the sort that do night fishing, drink more than they can handle and own cross bows.....

so this doesnt surprise me.

Joking aside - bizarrest story of the year
shadey1223 h, 32 m ago

I thought that was the …I thought that was the wicket,http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/fall11/oconner_c/termwicket.html

An American website to quote information on the quintessential game of Cricket. Whatever next. The pitch is always 22 yards in length and 10ft in width. There's also the popping, bowling and return crease.

31869285-8zVA5.jpg

The rest of the area is called the field that extends right to the boundary line.
Destard31st Aug

That guardian article states that the police were onsite within 15 …That guardian article states that the police were onsite within 15 minutes.Don't they have police inside the ground?I would have thought any venue where there are hundreds if not thousands present would have a police presence.

No, police at a cricket match! It's just not cricket.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 1st Sep 2017
Surely it's not an "arrow", but a "bolt" if it was fired from a crossbow? Or has Usain trademarked the term?
VDisillusioned7 h, 18 m ago

Surely it's not an "arrow", but a "bolt" if it was fired from a crossbow? …Surely it's not an "arrow", but a "bolt" if it was fired from a crossbow? Or has Usain trademarked the term?

Well most crossbows actually shoot arrows and what is in the picture is a arrow imo, its a bit of a confusing subject because the terms have been interchangeable, but because of the way crossbows used to be long ago a bolt was generally much shorter then an arrow, they also didn't have the tail on them, but as things have changed in all archery its up for debate, is a bolt determined by its length alone or the inclusion of a tail alone?
protest against boredom
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants