Found 10th Jan 2009
Is Play TV any good? Also do the programmes be in HD?

Also any help on where to get them splitters for Sky Dish to can get two wires from it will be usefull!!

Thanks!!

16 Comments

HD services will be coming to freeview sometime soon
(or so ive heard)

would also like to know peoples views on playtv

PlayTv isnt in HD its standard definition.

Original Poster

manzi;4016894

PlayTv isnt in HD its standard definition.

So it dont even upscale it? As you would expect it as is being played via PS3!

yes it does upscale it!

no hd on freeview as of yet though

you'll need a dual / quad LNB for your sat dish... can be found very cheap on ebay...

Freesat is the way to go i think.

Original Poster

phatboy123;4016928

yes it does upscale itno hd on freeview as of yet though

Freesat is in HD, but some programmes are not and they are like £100-120 for the box which is a one off payment!

freeview will get hd in 2012 I believe... until then either SKY or Freesat for HD

I've got it, and am really impressed.

The picture is a lot better on my TV than the freeview box I had previously - probably something to do with it being via HDMI than scart? I like being able to pause / rewind live tv, etc, as I'm used to my Sky + box downstairs.

You can copy things you've taped to the Videos section on your Playstation, and move them to PC if you want. I use this a lot, as I like to be able to just switch my PS3 on and choose from all the tv shows I've copied to the hard-drive, without booting up PlayTV.

My only gripe so far, is that it takes about 40 seconds or so to come on after being selected from the XMB. Not a big problem, but sometimes when you just want to flick the telly on it can seem like an age.

Another plus for me is the fact that it runs off the PS3's power, so I don't need to have something else plugged in.

I only paid about £30 for mine from Woolies, and at that price it was an absolute steal

Freesat only has ITV HD and BBC HD currently, with Channel 4 and 5 possibly coming later this year....

You might be able to get Luxe HD if its on the EPG...

Naeem786;4016936

Freesat is in HD, but some programmes are not and they are like £100-120 … Freesat is in HD, but some programmes are not and they are like £100-120 for the box which is a one off payment!

playtv is freeview, i was talking about that

if freesat is hd why are there freesat boxes and freesat hd boxes which cost more?
(serious question) im looking to get freesat

Original Poster

spann3rs;4016933

you'll need a dual / quad LNB for your sat dish... can be found very … you'll need a dual / quad LNB for your sat dish... can be found very cheap on ebay... Freesat is the way to go i think.

Thanks will look into that!!

hodsey77;4016940

I've got it, and am really impressed.The picture is a lot better on my TV … I've got it, and am really impressed.The picture is a lot better on my TV than the freeview box I had previously - probably something to do with it being via HDMI than scart? I like being able to pause / rewind live tv, etc, as I'm used to my Sky + box downstairs. You can copy things you've taped to the Videos section on your Playstation, and move them to PC if you want. I use this a lot, as I like to be able to just switch my PS3 on and choose from all the tv shows I've copied to the hard-drive, without booting up PlayTV.My only gripe so far, is that it takes about 40 seconds or so to come on after being selected from the XMB. Not a big problem, but sometimes when you just want to flick the telly on it can seem like an age.Another plus for me is the fact that it runs off the PS3's power, so I don't need to have something else plugged in.I only paid about £30 for mine from Woolies, and at that price it was an absolute steal

Damn should have got it from Woolies, I like the idea that it runs off the PS3, thats cool about the PC thingy as got mine hooked upto the PS3 aswell.

Thanks for the info!! :thumbsup:

phatboy123;4016966

playtv is freeview, i was talking about thatif freesat is hd why are … playtv is freeview, i was talking about thatif freesat is hd why are there freesat boxes and freesat hd boxes which cost more?(serious question) im looking to get freesat

They do standard definition boxes and high definition boxes...

They also do Freesat+ boxes... Like sky+

Banned

bear in mind that a ps3 uses considerably more electricity than a freesat box

Original Poster

csiman;4017493

bear in mind that a ps3 uses considerably more electricity than a freesat … bear in mind that a ps3 uses considerably more electricity than a freesat box

Thats true, have you got them both?

Banned

Naeem786;4017620

Thats true, have you got them both?

got a ps3 (traded in my 60gb plus £100 for an 80gb one as new one uses about 40% less electric).

got a new a humax (PVR9150t) for my freeview recording. does everything I could hope for and never run out of tv to watch these days,

Original Poster

csiman;4017878

got a ps3 (traded in my 60gb plus £100 for an 80gb one as new one uses … got a ps3 (traded in my 60gb plus £100 for an 80gb one as new one uses about 40% less electric).got a new a humax (PVR9150t) for my freeview recording. does everything I could hope for and never run out of tv to watch these days,

Cool, also when you are streaming from PC does the videos get upscaled? :thinking:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226646
    2. Highway code and use of indicators (or lack thereof)4176
    3. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?993251
    4. word association Game74244916

See more discussions