Play.com and their stance on mobile phones

5 replies
Found 30th Dec 2009
Hi there,

i am interested in buying a new phone and i find that play.com has the cheapest price with RAC discount and quidco. This works out at about £40 cheaper than the CPW. However, i am not sure how helpful play.com would be if something were to go wrong with the phone, and i am pretty sure that CPW would do a replacement or repair it for free within a certain period of time. Does anyone have any information which might help me with this? What would be my options with play.com if something were to happen to the phone?

5 Comments

Wouldnt a problem be covered by a manufacturer warranty though anyway?

Original Poster

So would i have to send it away to play.com or the phone company who made it? Does anyone know if CPW will take phones and repair them within the phones warranty for free?

Sorry for the million questions.

Original Poster

"If you purchase a phone from us and it develops a warranty fault within 28 days from purchase, we will exchange it for you.Alternatively, you mobile phone is given a warranty by the manufacturer. This warranty entitles you to the free repair of any fault that develops as a result of the way in which the phone was produced or manufactured. We can also fix phones that were purchased elsewhere provided you have a valid receipt."

Sorry, i just found this on the CPW website, i guess that clears up my queries! Thanks anyway.

Beware the infamous Play returns policy:

"Our returns policy is valid for 28 days from receipt of an item."

You'd think they'd make an exception of faulty goods, but be warned - they won't. Even if your very expensive piece of kit fails 5 weeks after you've received it, you're on your own!

A UK retailer wouldn't be able to get away with this because of the Sale of Goods legislation which protects consumers. Jersey doesn't - yet - have one in place.

Buy from Play only if you're prepared to use the manufacturer's warranty to deal with faults - Play won't help you at all after 28 days.

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, very useful. I think i will go with play.com.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition57572
    2. Free money and competition entry @ Circle712
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums22
    4. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)45

See more discussions