Groups

Play.com/The Independent, the ASA and how HotUKDeals nearly got them in trouble.

asa.org.uk/asa…htmasa.org.uk/asa…htm

Interesting read...

They said the numbers claiming the free DVD voucher had far exceeded any reasonable expectation of redemption and dwarfed any experience that Play.com had of promotions of that type. They said the principle reason for that was that some websites had listed the passwords printed in the newspaper for their site traffic to use. They said the passwords were then replicated on popular social network sites and started appearing on Google search results. They said that activity had elevated the consumer interest and increased the number of voucher claims.

:giggle:

12 Comments

Shame, Looks like I missed out on a free dvd, Should've found this site quicker!!

They said Play.com was, nevertheless, able to obtain supplies of the DVD … They said Play.com was, nevertheless, able to obtain supplies of the DVD of "A Very Long Engagement" in sufficiently large numbers. They said this was a two DVD set in a presentation box, which Play.com originally anticipated would be popular, because it was the most recent of the ten films and was a two-DVD box set. They said the DVD which most people received was therefore a particularly good one.

The real reason....thats all they had :lol:
    I received this as it was the only one to choose :?

Original Poster

It amuses me how they keep saying "presentation box", like it's something made of hand-carved teak, as opposed to a plastic case. :giggle:

That was a good read, LOL @ 12 times the expected take up, it's no wonder when the code ends up at places like this :giggle:

Admin

BristolDeal

It amuses me how they keep saying "presentation box", like it's something … It amuses me how they keep saying "presentation box", like it's something made of hand-carved teak, as opposed to a plastic case. :giggle:

:giggle: :giggle:

I remember that **** offer. Applied for Tsotsi straight away but couldn't get it and had zero interest in 'A Very Long Engagement'.

i recall the offer, i went for tsotsi and i got 2 of them - only went for it as it had the best cash value at CEX. think i got £5 each for them.

Very interesting article!!!

What amazes me is that some would complain that their free DVD was not their first choice! Hello? Free? Get it? :roll:

Original Poster

It's quite interesting reading the things people complain about. I just read one today where a punter had complained about a local pub that was advertising a deal on steaks which wasn't very clear - and they upheld the complaint. :giggle:

Play.com said they had run similar DVD promotions on several occasions, … Play.com said they had run similar DVD promotions on several occasions, including three promotions with the Sun Newspaper offering a free DVD for every reader, a promotion with Odeon cinema for cinema-goers and a promotion with Dorothy Perkins for online shoppers. They said the percentage of redemptions in those promotions had ranged from 0.5% in the Odeon and Dorothy Perkins promotions and between 1.7% and 2.0% in the Sun promotions. As a result of those experiences they had calculated the lowest likely redemption at 0.5% and the highest likely redemption at 2.0%. They said the Independent's circulation was 235,000 and therefore the lowest likely redemption had been calculated at 1,265 and the highest at 5,060. .....Play.com said the actual number of registrations was 67,000, which was 28% of the Independent's circulation. They said the numbers claiming the free DVD voucher had far exceeded any reasonable expectation of redemption and dwarfed any experience that Play.com had of promotions of that type. They said the principle reason for that was that some websites had listed the passwords printed in the newspaper for their site traffic to use.

:viking: :viking: :viking:

And I thought this thread would somehow be connected with N770's.....:whistling:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1220
      2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927348
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1621
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553785

See more discussions