playing old PC gaming help

Found 11th May
Hi guys

trying to play a old PC game (microsoft golf 98) and all im getting is following msg as per photo upload.

ive gone to virtual memory and changed that

ive also right clicked and set compatibility view

all im getting is following msg and im running a computer with much more spec than suggested. please see attachment and someone help. i have no idea what physical memory is. 2938804-WkdjB.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Haha who remembers having to do all that ms-dos faffing to load drivers but have enough free memory to run quake etc.
Himem.sys

To get a pc game to work in the day

Can you imagine if you had to do a quick program of your PlayStation to get it to run a game.
Edited by: "MonkeysUncle" 12th May
I think you need to run this in a virtual machine. I doubt this game is going to understand a 64bit OS so make sure it's 98 32bit.
kester7623 m ago

I think you need to run this in a virtual machine. I doubt this game is …I think you need to run this in a virtual machine. I doubt this game is going to understand a 64bit OS so make sure it's 98 32bit.

thanks man. isit very hard and difficult to install a virtual machine?
machomansavage16 m ago

thanks man. isit very hard and difficult to install a virtual machine?

Not really, you download a virtual machine app. Either Microsoft or sun. Get a version of Windows 98 SE and serial. Configure the specs of the virtual machine you want and off you go.
kester761 h, 16 m ago

Not really, you download a virtual machine app. Either Microsoft or sun. …Not really, you download a virtual machine app. Either Microsoft or sun. Get a version of Windows 98 SE and serial. Configure the specs of the virtual machine you want and off you go.

Thank you. Any tutorial u could send me plz? Id really appreciate it. Seems odd how older games like res evil 1996 work but a game made two years later (microsoft golf98) doesnt work?

Might help you a bit, it uses virtual box which is similar to microsoft virtual machine but free. No idea where to get windows 98se from though.
kester7622 h, 5 m ago

[Video] Might help you a bit, it uses virtual box which is similar to …[Video] Might help you a bit, it uses virtual box which is similar to microsoft virtual machine but free. No idea where to get windows 98se from though.

Thank you very much for ur help. But seems to much of a faff. Just a shame as games i normally play are older than msgolf98 yet all i have to do is switch compatibility to windows 98. Just dont know with that doesn't work in this case
You tried MAME? there's tons of games.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 13th May
machomansavage4 h, 55 m ago

Thank you very much for ur help. But seems to much of a faff. Just a shame …Thank you very much for ur help. But seems to much of a faff. Just a shame as games i normally play are older than msgolf98 yet all i have to do is switch compatibility to windows 98. Just dont know with that doesn't work in this case

It's just this software doesn't understand the concept of Gigabytes of ram when it's looking for about 64MB of ram.
kester761 h, 40 m ago

It's just this software doesn't understand the concept of Gigabytes of ram …It's just this software doesn't understand the concept of Gigabytes of ram when it's looking for about 64MB of ram.

is there a way i can do tht without instlling what you recommened? heard on many forums u can go via advanced settings via system and select proformance?
machomansavage20 m ago

is there a way i can do tht without instlling what you recommened? heard …is there a way i can do tht without instlling what you recommened? heard on many forums u can go via advanced settings via system and select proformance?

No idea, depends on if it's the installer or game itself that checks it. Some installers used install shield that ran a script. You can bypass these with default installer app but I've not done this in over a decade.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants