Groups

Playing Wii on an LCD monitor.

Hi, I've got a vacant LCD computer monitor which I'm not using and would ideally like to hook my Nintendo Wii up to this. I know doing this with an Xbox 360 and PS3 is fairly straight foward, but a Wii isn't.

There's a special cable you can buy which does the trick, but it's only available in the US at the moment.

The other option is to get an LCD monitor with s-video input. Does anyone have one of these - anywhere where I can get one relatively cheap? (sub £250).

(I don't have a TV in my house, and don't want one if I can avoid it.)

15 Comments

Banned

Have you bought a TV licence? I think you need one with a wii as it can connect to the internet.

You could try a TV VGA Box For Wii do a search for it on Ebay. Good luck

csiman;1382590

Have you bought a TV licence? I think you need one with a wii as it can … Have you bought a TV licence? I think you need one with a wii as it can connect to the internet.

Random. :?

No licence is needed.

It might not be quite what you're looking for if you want to avoid having a TV, but I got ]this for Xmas:

It's a TV/Monitor in one - which means as well as hooking up to your PC it has SCART and Composite Video connections at the back for Wiis etc.

Original Poster

beanoni;1382746

It might not be quite what you're looking for if you want to avoid having … It might not be quite what you're looking for if you want to avoid having a TV, but I got ]this for Xmas:It's a TV/Monitor in one - which means as well as hooking up to your PC it has SCART and Composite Video connections at the back for Wiis etc.

I've considered a TV/Monitor combo, but I'd still need a TV license for that.

And I'm pretty sure you don't need a TV license for JUST a Wii...

Sunni;1382838

I've considered a TV/Monitor combo, but I'd still need a TV license for … I've considered a TV/Monitor combo, but I'd still need a TV license for that.And I'm pretty sure you don't need a TV license for JUST a Wii...

You don't need a licence for a TV/Monitor combo.

Original Poster

thesaint;1382887

Oh really? I didn't know that.

Might be a good option then.

have you tried dealextreme.com for the cable?
    I do not know which sort you need but, if you cannot find it pm me the details and I will look ( website is not very easy to look through but they are DIRT CHEAP and reliable )

Original Poster

As far as I know, the only cable that lets you effectively hook up a Wii to a monitor is this one:

]VD-W2 VGA cable

But I can't find a UK distributer...

thesaint;1382887

Not true - you need a TV licence for any equipment capable of decoding TV signal. That's why you need one if you've got a video recorder but no TV. Took a heck of a long time for us to convince TV licensing that we had disabled the decoding on our VHS machine so we could watch videos on our old CRT monitor (which had a scart connection).

I'm having the same problem - would love to have a Wii but our new monitor just has VGA & HDMI. The Wii doesn't do digital output so HDMI is out of the question, but there does appear to be a few gadgets available to allow you to connect it to your VGA (sometimes called D-sub15, I think). A quick google for "Wii VGA" throws up quite a few suggestions. I did find the ideal device after such a search a few weeks ago, but can't seem to find it now. I'll post it if I find it again.

In the meantime, ]here's a little bit more background info on the AV capabilites of the Wii.

What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games … What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?You need to notify us in writing that this is the case and one of our Enforcement Officers may need to visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.Please write to us including your name, address and the reason you believe that you don't need a licence at: TV LicensingBristolBS98 1TL

shieldsy;1387551

Not true - you need a TV licence for any equipment capable of decoding TV … Not true - you need a TV licence for any equipment capable of decoding TV signal. That's why you need one if you've got a video recorder but no TV. Took a heck of a long time for us to convince TV licensing that we had disabled the decoding on our VHS machine so we could watch videos on our old CRT monitor (which had a scart connection).I'm having the same problem - would love to have a Wii but our new monitor just has VGA & HDMI. The Wii doesn't do digital output so HDMI is out of the question, but there does appear to be a few gadgets available to allow you to connect it to your VGA (sometimes called D-sub15, I think). A quick google for "Wii VGA" throws up quite a few suggestions. I did find the ideal device after such a search a few weeks ago, but can't seem to find it now. I'll post it if I find it again.In the meantime, ]here's a little bit more background info on the AV capabilites of the Wii.

correct.you need one for a dvd player and a freeview box too

SpecialK;1390712

Not quite correct. You don't need one for a DVD player because there is no signal decoder. That's why if you go to Tesco & buy a DVD player you don't need to fill in a TV licence form, but if you bought a VHS player you did.

SpecialK;1390712

Not quite,

If you use a set-top box with a hi-fi system or another device that can … If you use a set-top box with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!563832
      2. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691433
      3. Cheer me up please?712
      4. Feels weird!925

See more discussions