PlayStation 3 and Vita titles to be removed from PlayStation Plus

Found 28th Feb
A little heads up for those that haven't heard (I think Sony are sending emails out). As of March 8, 2019 PlayStation Plus will no longer included titles for the PlayStation 3 or PlayStation Vita systems.

Official announcement:

We also have an important service update. Starting next year on March 8, 2019, the PS Plus monthly games lineup will focus on PS4 titles and no longer include PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita titles. This won’t affect any games you’ve already downloaded, or will download, prior to March 8, 2019. Those games will still be part of your PS Plus games library as long as you remain a member. Your game saves and other benefits of PS Plus will also remain the same – the only change is that no new PS3 and PS Vita games will be added to the PS Plus monthly games lineup beyond March 8, 2019.

Many of our fans are playing on the PS4 platform, with the increasingly vast number of PS4s in homes around the world. We’ll continue to prioritize the benefits you receive through your PS Plus membership, such as online multiplayer, online game save storage, PS4 monthly games, and exclusive PS Store discounts across content and network services. As a reminder, if you do not wish to continue your subscription, please be sure to cancel it by turning off auto-renewal in your account settings before March 8, 2019.
Community Updates
MiscGaming
22 Comments
I suppose the discs will still be out there to buy, so no lasting damage. I get the ps3 and vita games for kids if appropriate but they'll get ps4 soon enough. Hopefully before they stop they'll offer some big titles...
Something I wonder is will we get an extra PS4 game or 2 to compensate?
oli_1_uk1 h, 9 m ago

Something I wonder is will we get an extra PS4 game or 2 to compensate?

Confirmed that we won't.

But, 2019 is 6 years into the generation. That's PS5 territory, there were 6 years between PS1 and PS2, PS2 and PS3 and 7 between PS3 and PS4. It could mean they're planning ahead for including PS5 titles.
plebbygiraffe1 h, 56 m ago

Confirmed that we won't.But, 2019 is 6 years into the generation. That's …Confirmed that we won't.But, 2019 is 6 years into the generation. That's PS5 territory, there were 6 years between PS1 and PS2, PS2 and PS3 and 7 between PS3 and PS4. It could mean they're planning ahead for including PS5 titles.

Counting by number of years maybe but IMO it’s pointless to release another piece of hardware when the majority of devs are still releasing games that do not even require the full hardware aspects of a current gen console. The high profile games also would require a lot of resources and that’s not a risk all publisher are taking at this stage. I’m just not sure a PS5 would work anytime soon.
Edited by: "mixmixi" 28th Feb
Maybe Sony going for backwards compatible game library from PS4 games onward. So if they do launch a PS5 in 2019/2020 they can launch with an existing bunch of games patched for the next gen (backwards compatible like Microsoft doing for their Xbox One and older games & patched like how they implemented for PS4 Pro)?
It annoys me how they include a PS VR title like we all have a VR headset.
aturner1235 m ago

Surely it's no different to having included PS Viita and PS3 games until now? We've not lost anything from having an additional gmaes included.
aturner12326 m ago

Why would it annoy you to have a library of VR games waiting if you ever did decide to get a headset? Didn't annoy me getting PS4 games before I had a PS4.
So they raised the prices last year and now remove 2/3 of the content we receive each month! Disappointed to say the least!
aturner1235 h, 55 m ago

You're not the brightest lad are you?
craig21121 h, 11 m ago

So they raised the prices last year and now remove 2/3 of the content we …So they raised the prices last year and now remove 2/3 of the content we receive each month! Disappointed to say the least!

Cancel your membership then. Or just do what most people do and threaten to cancel it but still bend over and take it.

OR you can do the rational thing and wait to see if they're being replaced by anything do you even own a PS3 or Vita? And don't lie and pretend you own and use both when thats probably not true
No what I mean is Sony are celebrating the fact we get 3 PS4 games a month when really we dont as one of them is limited to PSVR only.
aturner1237 h, 6 m ago

It's a clever way of giving the idea you may need one to play your 'free games'.
If it makes the PS4 offering better then great, ps3 is old hat now, different if they had back compat but don't and vita was pretty D. O. A which was a shame but that's life.
craig21122 h, 38 m ago

So they raised the prices last year and now remove 2/3 of the content we …So they raised the prices last year and now remove 2/3 of the content we receive each month! Disappointed to say the least!

I suspect they are trying to shift the focus on VR titles. They included them since a few months ago and will be trying to wrap things to PS4/PS VR. There is a good hanful of VR games are going to be released this year, much more than last two years. So instead of thinking about a PS5, I suspect Sony is trying to boost the market around the VR hardware sales. Look at this as an example:

venturebeat.com/201…18/

And talking about Vita, I am so pleased I invested on physical media. I knew the day would come and I know the day will come when Sony announces they are going to take down the vita hosting severs on PS Store...
Edited by: "mixmixi" 1st Mar
mixmixi1st Mar

I suspect they are trying to shift the focus on VR titles. They included …I suspect they are trying to shift the focus on VR titles. They included them since a few months ago and will be trying to wrap things to PS4/PS VR. There is a good hanful of VR games are going to be released this year, much more than last two years. So instead of thinking about a PS5, I suspect Sony is trying to boost the market around the VR hardware sales. Look at this as an example:https://venturebeat.com/2017/12/30/55-vr-games-to-look-forward-to-in-2018/And talking about Vita, I am so pleased I invested on physical media. I knew the day would come and I know the day will come when Sony announces they are going to take down the vita hosting severs on PS Store...

I'm not sure that vita games are being removed from the store, they just won't be offered on PS+ anymore although there is the possibility of servers being switched off but that shouldn't affect the downloading of games.
Shame that they are discontinuing PS+ vita games as it is a great bit of kit unfortunately doomed by Sony's attempt to make an extra buck through memory cards.
As a sidenote, I recently saw the Japanese monthly hardware figures and they sold just as many Vitas than they did PS4 Pros. Perhaps they should discontinue the Pro.
Andy@XCite10 m ago

I'm not sure that vita games are being removed from the store, they just …I'm not sure that vita games are being removed from the store, they just won't be offered on PS+ anymore although there is the possibility of servers being switched off but that shouldn't affect the downloading of games.Shame that they are discontinuing PS+ vita games as it is a great bit of kit unfortunately doomed by Sony's attempt to make an extra buck through memory cards. As a sidenote, I recently saw the Japanese monthly hardware figures and they sold just as many Vitas than they did PS4 Pros. Perhaps they should discontinue the Pro.

I understand, what I mean is a near future forecast of what Sony is planning for Vita. They will do the same thing they did with PSP, sooner or later. I don't think Vita's unfortunate fate was directly related to the Memory Cards issue. Most Vita fanboys are into buying physical copies to be honest. The issue was Sony directly. Sony released a hardware that devs loved. A lot indie publisher started releasing games for it, but then Sony remained silent about it all the times. No word of any sort. Obviously if you do not believe in yourself, then why others would? Something was wrong with Sony since the day one in respect to the Vita... Like it was an unplanned child for them that the whole family love except the parents themselves.
mixmixi16 h, 49 m ago

Counting by number of years maybe but IMO it’s pointless to release a …Counting by number of years maybe but IMO it’s pointless to release another piece of hardware when the majority of devs are still releasing games that do not even require the full hardware aspects of a current gen console. The high profile games also would require a lot of resources and that’s not a risk all publisher are taking at this stage. I’m just not sure a PS5 would work anytime soon.

What do you mean majority of devs are releasing games that don't require the full hardware aspects? Games since day 1 were maxing out the specs.

If you mean there is still potential in the device by more efficient use of the hardware, sure. But the same has happened every generation. 'Killer' titles were released with better-than-ever graphics whilst the PS4 rumour mill was in full swing, hell even after it's official announcement. Games of the likes of GTA V, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider were all released after the PS4 was officially announced.

And don't forget, it would be almost 2 years away. It isn't releasing tomorrow.

Furthermore now that we're on x86 architecture I would expect both sides will stick with it. This should mean piece-of-pie BC and also mean little effort in switching to next gen development.

The majority of studios already develop beyond consoles capabilities for the PC market so would have little to change in their pipelines for things like textures etc.
plebbygiraffe33 m ago

What do you mean majority of devs are releasing games that don't require …What do you mean majority of devs are releasing games that don't require the full hardware aspects? Games since day 1 were maxing out the specs.If you mean there is still potential in the device by more efficient use of the hardware, sure. But the same has happened every generation. 'Killer' titles were released with better-than-ever graphics whilst the PS4 rumour mill was in full swing, hell even after it's official announcement. Games of the likes of GTA V, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider were all released after the PS4 was officially announced.And don't forget, it would be almost 2 years away. It isn't releasing tomorrow.Furthermore now that we're on x86 architecture I would expect both sides will stick with it. This should mean piece-of-pie BC and also mean little effort in switching to next gen development.The majority of studios already develop beyond consoles capabilities for the PC market so would have little to change in their pipelines for things like textures etc.

What I mean is when PS1 turned to PS2, PC was far ahead, a change was seemingly needed. When PS3 was released the gap between PC and console was a lot too. But with current gen consoles and the potential devs are having, there is not much of a difference between PC games and console games. Of course, PC can be far ahead in terms of hardware specs but potentially what is released in the market is something all platforms are capable to support. A lot of PC games are being released on consoles too (albit with limited graphical specs). What I mean is the need in the market for a future gen console is not much. Hence, Microsoft invests on Xbox One X and Sony releases PS4 Pro which are technically current gen consoles. They could've invested on a next gen hardware if they were having a different forecast of the market. But obviously, they can see the saturation. They can see the potential and resources that developers are having handy and I believe they know it cannot be going beyond this for a while. A "Killer" title would require massive investments too. How many developers are having access to massive findings or resources to make a game that stands out next to, say that GTA V? Or let me ask this way, how many "killer" titles can you name with "better-than-ever" graphics on current gen? IMO, it will be silly for Sony to go ahead and release a PS4 in the coming years when PS4 has not been put into its max potentials yet. However, they may try to provide a revised or upgraded version of these consoles in the near future and that is what I think.
I own a PS4, ps3 and Vita. I will admit that I never play my ps3 so I don’t care so much about that part of it but my Vita is used often commuting to work.
mixmixi4 h, 47 m ago

What I mean is when PS1 turned to PS2, PC was far ahead, a change was …What I mean is when PS1 turned to PS2, PC was far ahead, a change was seemingly needed. When PS3 was released the gap between PC and console was a lot too. But with current gen consoles and the potential devs are having, there is not much of a difference between PC games and console games. Of course, PC can be far ahead in terms of hardware specs but potentially what is released in the market is something all platforms are capable to support. A lot of PC games are being released on consoles too (albit with limited graphical specs). What I mean is the need in the market for a future gen console is not much. Hence, Microsoft invests on Xbox One X and Sony releases PS4 Pro which are technically current gen consoles. They could've invested on a next gen hardware if they were having a different forecast of the market. But obviously, they can see the saturation. They can see the potential and resources that developers are having handy and I believe they know it cannot be going beyond this for a while. A "Killer" title would require massive investments too. How many developers are having access to massive findings or resources to make a game that stands out next to, say that GTA V? Or let me ask this way, how many "killer" titles can you name with "better-than-ever" graphics on current gen? IMO, it will be silly for Sony to go ahead and release a PS4 in the coming years when PS4 has not been put into its max potentials yet. However, they may try to provide a revised or upgraded version of these consoles in the near future and that is what I think.

Releasing home consoles has never been about plugging any gap to the PC gaming scene. They're separate segments.

I don't understand either why you think there is so much potential for huge improvements in the PS4.

Every new game from a major studio is a better-than-ever graphically game. The improvement is progressive.

You dismissed the idea about a new console arrived because they have yet found the limits of the current gen. My point is that this is nonsense because this has never been a limiting factor in the past, and we have had graphically acclaimed titles released after the announcements of next-gen consoles. Yet you would have been posting on here saying we don't need a PS4 because the PS3 has yet to reach it's limits.

Graphical potential does not stop new hardware.

And your final comment is basically agreeing with what I said. Now they are on x86 architecture there is no need to switch to something different, there is no benefit to be gained.

Assuming they stick, the next gen consoles will essentially be upgraded versions of each other. BC would be assured, and development would be easy. But it wouldn't be branded PS4 Super Pro.

I recall years ago the departing Kaz Hirai commenting on how phones and other devices have accustomed people to upgrading frequently. The PS4 Pro was a response to that. And having 6 year cycles with a 3 year revision in between is tapping right into the phone model.
plebbygiraffe10 m ago

Releasing home consoles has never been about plugging any gap to the PC …Releasing home consoles has never been about plugging any gap to the PC gaming scene. They're separate segments.I don't understand either why you think there is so much potential for huge improvements in the PS4.Every new game from a major studio is a better-than-ever graphically game. The improvement is progressive. You dismissed the idea about a new console arrived because they have yet found the limits of the current gen. My point is that this is nonsense because this has never been a limiting factor in the past, and we have had graphically acclaimed titles released after the announcements of next-gen consoles. Yet you would have been posting on here saying we don't need a PS4 because the PS3 has yet to reach it's limits.Graphical potential does not stop new hardware.And your final comment is basically agreeing with what I said. Now they are on x86 architecture there is no need to switch to something different, there is no benefit to be gained.Assuming they stick, the next gen consoles will essentially be upgraded versions of each other. BC would be assured, and development would be easy. But it wouldn't be branded PS4 Super Pro.I recall years ago the departing Kaz Hirai commenting on how phones and other devices have accustomed people to upgrading frequently. The PS4 Pro was a response to that. And having 6 year cycles with a 3 year revision in between is tapping right into the phone model.

Honestly, I do not understand why your answers are getting longer and longer. You are counting it by number of years and all I am trying to say it is possibly not based on that. It will be based on what market demands and supports. I am happy if you are going to continue thinking based on that logic. Period.

Also, Sony would never go BC. They have proven they are into remasters and re-sale rather than making an old game BC.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants