PlayStation 5 confirmed for 'Holiday 2020'

Posted 8th Oct
It's finally announced. The PlayStation 5 will launch next year just in time for those Christmas 2020 sales

3306169.jpg
Since we originally unveiled our next-generation console in April, we know that there’s been a lot of excitement and interest in hearing more about what the future of games will bring. Today I’m proud to share that our next-generation console will be called PlayStation 5, and we’ll be launching in time for Holiday 2020.

These updates may not be a huge surprise, but we wanted to confirm them for our PlayStation fans, as we start to reveal additional details about our vision for the next generation. WIRED magazine covered these updates and more in a story that posted this morning.

The “more” refers to something I’m quite excited about – a preview of the new controller that will ship with PlayStation 5. One of our goals with the next generation is to deepen the feeling of immersion when you play games, and we had the opportunity with our new controller to reimagine how the sense of touch can add to that immersion.

To that end, there are two key innovations with the PlayStation 5’s new controller. First, we’re adopting haptic feedback to replace the “rumble” technology found in controllers since the 5th generation of consoles. With haptics, you truly feel a broader range of feedback, so crashing into a wall in a race car feels much different than making a tackle on the football field. You can even get a sense for a variety of textures when running through fields of grass or plodding through mud.

The second innovation is something we call adaptive triggers, which have been incorporated into the trigger buttons (L2/R2). Developers can program the resistance of the triggers so that you feel the tactile sensation of drawing a bow and arrow or accelerating an off-road vehicle through rocky terrain. In combination with the haptics, this can produce a powerful experience that better simulates various actions. Game creators have started to receive early versions of the new controller, and we can’t wait to see where their imagination goes with these new features at their disposal.

While there’s much more to share about PlayStation 5 in the year ahead, we have plenty of blockbuster experiences coming your way on PS4, including Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima. I’d like to thank all PlayStation fans for continuing the journey with us, as we embark on the future of games.

[PlayStation Blog]
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
Right, time to start saving £50 a month
15 Comments
Just saw this, the haptic feedback controller sounds interesting
Edited by: "jayhutton10" 8th Oct
"feel the drawback of an arrow"??

next they'll be saying you can actually feel the bullet penetrate your shoulder in COD …
Interesting to see the specs on this for the price point. A lot of suggestions the GFX card will match a RX 5700 XT which I call out as utter BS.
Edited by: "Donkii" 8th Oct
arcangel11108/10/2019 14:21

"feel the drawback of an arrow"?? next they'll be saying you can actually …"feel the drawback of an arrow"?? next they'll be saying you can actually feel the bullet penetrate your shoulder in COD …

38627900-NCEjz.jpgHeading this way
Adaptive triggers sound awesome
PS pros will be flooding the market soon as they try to clear the stock.
Definite pre-order, if the back compatibility rumours are true it’s a no brainer. Sony have really kept the fans happy with a steady stream of outstanding exclusives this gen and that’s highly likely to continue into the next.
My launch PS4 is a bit noisy now but it really has been a fantastic console.
marrowcat08/10/2019 15:44

Definite pre-order, if the back compatibility rumours are true it’s a no b …Definite pre-order, if the back compatibility rumours are true it’s a no brainer. Sony have really kept the fans happy with a steady stream of outstanding exclusives this gen and that’s highly likely to continue into the next.My launch PS4 is a bit noisy now but it really has been a fantastic console.

PS4 (and PSVR) BC is 100% confirmed

Don't expect PS1/2/3 BC though, they have PSNow that they are pushing.
Edited by: "PhilKelix2" 8th Oct

Definite pre-order, if the back compatibility rumours are true it’s a no b …Definite pre-order, if the back compatibility rumours are true it’s a no brainer. Sony have really kept the fans happy with a steady stream of outstanding exclusives this gen and that’s highly likely to continue into the next.My launch PS4 is a bit noisy now but it really has been a fantastic console.

There's nothing stopping PS4 backward compatibility. It should technically be like a bigger step up from the PS4 like the Pro was. A lot like PC's
Edited by: "rev6" 8th Oct

Mine sounds like it's getting ready to blast into orbit! It's been great though
That’s my Christmas present for next year sorted lol. Not sure what to do with my 3 PS4’s though
Right, time to start saving £50 a month
Glad they've confirmed a release window, hopefully around the £400 mark at the most. Interested to see the next Xbox as well but will probably wait a year or so for that one.

They should give us the option to turn off the light on the controller, also longer battery life would be very beneficial. Doubt this would be happen but ps4 pads working on ps5 would be really helpful too.
i reckon will be around the £500-£600 mark myself..

will no doubt wait and get it the year after. once more games and the Xbox release there console to see which is best.

by that time i may have cleared some of the backlog of games i have for my consoles lol
dickypreston09/10/2019 14:11

i reckon will be around the £500-£600 mark myself..will no doubt wait and g …i reckon will be around the £500-£600 mark myself..will no doubt wait and get it the year after. once more games and the Xbox release there console to see which is best.by that time i may have cleared some of the backlog of games i have for my consoles lol

That's a good point about the backlog, plus with most games coming to ps4 and ps5 for 1 to 2 years it's easy to wait. I'm wondering how much they're gonna focus on 4/8k when most of us are on 1080p.

I think if we see some good exclusives that may tip me to get one more.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants